ea simcity always on origin

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 F_C

F_C

Neowinian

• 140 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:32

because the price of the full game is priced at £64.99!

I like people who pull numbers out of their bum. Too bad the article itself states "MSRP N/A" - In other words there is no set retail pricing.

I think £64.99 was mentioned as that's the price of it right now on Origin (it states "£64.99 RETAIL PRICE - Pre Order"). At least it wasn't just a random number plucked from thin air.

#32 _BeanZ_

_BeanZ_

Neowinian

• 724 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:45

If it's any small consolation (which I doubt it will be)...

SimCity Always-On Clarified: Needs Internet For Launch

EA have issued a clarification to Gamespy that while you will have to have an internet connection to launch SimCity, it will not boot you off if your connection goes down. Which is to say, it’s not as egregious as others’ “always-on” DRM, but we maintain is still an unnecessary and game-crippling mistake, which we really hope they will reverse before release. That the game won’t stop working if your connection goes down sounds great, but it makes no useful difference to those who wish to play the ostensibly single-player game without an internet connection, whatever the cause.

http://www.rockpaper...r-every-launch/

#33 red.

red.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,993 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:30

This sucks, i was thinking about playing it on the train to and from work and i don't want to get one of those mobile network dongles. And i was never interested in the online features. I like to play SimCity solo and be able to control everything.

I think i'll still buy it because i want to support the devs but get a cracked copy to get past all of the DRM.

#34 SPARTdAN

SPARTdAN

Neowinian

• 585 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:57

Am I a bad person thinking that if I want to play this game I won't buy it? £65 for a PC game, I really hope that doesn't become the norm because I won't be able to afford new games and I'm not missing out because I pay high rent, high fuel tax and high food prices and can't afford an increase in game prices. Shoot me down, I don't condone piracy but it happens from clever marketing and too expensive living and prices on these goods.

#35 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,707 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:08

I really don't see the problem with Always on DRM. The majority of us have an always on connection anyway.
The wrong kind of DRM is the 5 activation DRM.

£64.99 for RRP? i seriously doubt this is true. If this is the case the game won't sell at all.

#36 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 15,843 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:20

£64.99 for RRP? i seriously doubt this is true. If this is the case the game won't sell at all.

That's for the Digital Deluxe Edition, but on Origin, the cheapest version I could find (the Limited Edition) still costs £44.99, which is ridiculous, even by console standards.

#37 red.

red.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,993 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:24

The £65 price is for the Digital Deluxe version on Origin which seems to include French, German and English city sets. The other edition is £45 RRP which will probably be cheaper and priced similar to other PC games at other retailers.

#38 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,926 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:25

H.A.W.X. 2 Begs to differ. Seems like this was too much of a challenge for 'coders'.

Don't know where you're getting your info from mate, but those coders most certainly cracked it. I guess you don't know where to look.

#39 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

joO 4R3 73H L337!

• 1,337 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:00

I really don't see the problem with Always on DRM. The majority of us have an always on connection anyway.
The wrong kind of DRM is the 5 activation DRM.

They're both very wrong, and what if one day they decide they don't want to run either of those servers anymore, this is EA, so it's not really an if, it's a when.
Goodbye game.

#40 Amarok

Amarok

One. Three. FiVe.

• 1,773 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:23

TBH The Always-On DRM thing only really works for games that are 90% multiplayer anyway and would be pointless to play offline.

#41 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,700 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:33

So the game doesn't have an offline mode, big deal. Neither does World of Warcraft. If this Sim City is going to be designed where the online community plays a major role in game play, then it makes sense.

People complaining about it are just complaining because they like to complain. There's this angry old man attitude in the gaming community these days, and it's loud and annoying and whiny. DLC makes these angry old man-boys whine, DRM makes them whine, everything short of unprotected unlimited downloads with offline mode, no serial numbers and a license that lets you share the game with all of your friends makes these old man-boys whine.

It's like they're nostalgic for a golden age of gaming that NEVER EXISTED.

#42 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• 4,585 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:43

Yeah.. except no.. SimCity != MMO.

Lumping so many generalizations together certainly doesn't do you any good in understanding those people. You say it's not a big deal but it's becoming more and more prevalent because too many care too little about their role as a consumer. If I spend my dollars on a game like SimCity, I should own it. When I can't play said game when my internet is down or on a road trip or under any circumstances that I should be able to as a buyer, what exactly do I own? I own a game that that EA decides when and where and how I can play it. This attitude from developers has come about because of people like you who don't care enough about their fundamental rights as consumers.

#43 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,697 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:03

If it is a MMO then good, it needs to be always on. That I can understand. But they did not say it was an online MMO. So I want to play my Sim closed off. LOL. Sandboxed on my own computer :-P

#44 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,507 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:19

I like people who pull numbers out of their bum. Too bad the article itself states "MSRP N/A" - In other words there is no set retail pricing.

Also the Origin hate is completely unjustified - there are several SteamWorks titles that require you to authenticate and have Steam running and there's no outcry from it merely because it's Valve. Steam has caused me more issues over the years than Origin did so I guess I should go and start my Valve hating group and moan in every thread that says Steam in it.

I think it's quite justified, I already have many games on steam and I'd rather not have to download a separate program that does the same thing just to play one game

plus i can play my steam games offline

#45 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,707 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:17

They're both very wrong, and what if one day they decide they don't want to run either of those servers anymore, this is EA, so it's not really an if, it's a when.
Goodbye game.

They would release a patch that allows it to work offline. Plus i think a patch will be out much sooner to deactivate the online requirement. It is mainly to maximize sales. Also i think certain pirates will get round it too.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!