18 posts in this topic

Posted

Brooklyn High School Fines Students $100 For Using Facebook, Threatens Expulsion If They Don't Stop

Controversy ensued after the Beis Rivkah all-girl high school in Brooklyn, N.Y., pulled from class every 11th grade student who used Facebook and handed them a written ultimatum: delete their accounts from the social networking site and pay $100 to the school, or be expelled, community website CrownHeights.info reports.

A school official, who wished to remain anonymous, says that the Facebook crackdown was to restore a level of Tznius -- the Jewish Orthodox code of modesty -- which they claim was on the decline because girls were using the site.

Jewish newspaper the Algemeiner spoke to several students about the incident, all of whom requested to remain anonymous, saying the school felt Facebook wasn't compatible with their moral code.

Posted

It's none of thier damn business if students have facebook accts. Lots of people at my school had stuff (back in the day) like xanga and geocities pages...

Posted

Another case of religious nutters trying to oppress women (and make a profit from it at the same time).

1 person likes this

Posted

This is a private school, correct?

Then it's perfectly fine for them to do it.

Hell, schools should ban mobile phones altogether.

Edit, even though I saw nothing about cellphones, I just assume it's how they use FB.

Otherwise they wouldn't be able to tell if someone is using FB or not.

1 person likes this

Posted

"People on the board said it

Posted

This is a private school, correct?

Then it's perfectly fine for them to do it.

Hell, schools should ban mobile phones altogether.

Edit, even though I saw nothing about cellphones, I just assume it's how they use FB.

Otherwise they wouldn't be able to tell if someone is using FB or not.

They're not being fined for using FB at school.

They're being fined for having an FB account, and told to delete it, or they will be expelled. That is the school does ot allow them to use FB on their own private time.

Posted

I really do not see what the issue with Facebook is now, it seems that every day there is some new threat/ultimatum/etc. from a school, employer, prospective employer, etc. about what you 'might' be/have said on Facebook. I do not remember such issues when it was MySpace that everyone used? Why is Facebook now being listed as such a 'evil' place? I do not have a FB account nor do I see the need in getting one, but if I did and I was told that I had to remove it or reveal login/password to it, I would tell anyone asking where they can stick there 'request'

Posted

Facebook seems to be taking over the world! if u ever see chatshows like "Jeremy Kyle" in the UK, its ALWAYS rumors about people cheating from a message off somebody or something like that....but this is getting rediculess...its NON of their business what they have...OK dont access it in school time, acceptable, but u cant make them delete it or fine them! i wonder if its even legal!!!

Its the same kinda thing where work is involved, if u have a bad day and have a vent, somebody reports it to work, HR discipline you for it! they actually have a policy for Facebook Use out of hours, as long as no names are mentioned then whats the problem, its ur own time....

Posted

They're being fined for having an FB account, and told to delete it, or they will be expelled. That is the school does ot allow them to use FB on their own private time.

Doesn't matter if its during private time because this is a private school. It is no different from a college setting up similar rules. You sign a contract when you want to go to these schools and they can and do put clauses in them for dictating things like this. If you have a problem with it, you don't go to the school. If you are convicted of a series crime, most colleges reserve the right to expel you from the school. Being a private school, they reserve the right to take actions against people who do things that tarnishes their image.

Posted

Suppose the question is, was this clause in wen the girl signed up?

But come on -

Posted

But come on -

Posted

That doesn't make sense, how would they know if you're using FB or not?

I'm having a hard time swallowing this story..

Maybe I need to re-read it or something.

Posted

But come on -

Posted

religion never makes sense :)

they probably searched her out, or she told someone.

Posted

Yes, it's ridiculous, is it not!

OK big deal - spelling mistake - not exactly a major issue now is it :rofl:

Posted

Sounds like something a Muslim school would do (except replace the $100 fine with Death Penalty or Lashings), this is very surprising. I hope the girls prevail.

Posted

Sounds like something a Muslim school would do (except replace the $100 fine with Death Penalty or Lashings), this is very surprising. I hope the girls prevail.

*facepalm* + :rolleyes:

Posted

It's none of thier damn business if students have facebook accts. Lots of people at my school had stuff (back in the day) like xanga and geocities pages...

Agreed. This is ridiculous.