game gamestop used games

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Amarok

Amarok

One. Three. FiVe.

• 1,773 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 21:02

For those that don't know quite a few games recently have been released with a code that you have to enter in order to play. (Kind of like CD-Keys) If you buy used you get very limited features and if you want all the features you have to pay $10. So assuming they go with something similar it won't actually kill used game sales, it just means that you won't actually be saving any money unless GameStop/EB/etc sell their used games for cheaper than they do now. If they don't sell their used games cheaper then you aren't saving any money by buying used and it makes buying new more appealing.

#17 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

• 1,214 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 21:04

Why would a the developers not do/push this? They are trying to make money right, they'd be stupid not to do anything about it. I don't care, i'd never buy a used game anyway. Physical game stores are a ripoff. I'm not saying I buy digital, i just mean stores like Gamestop suck anyway, it's depressing just walking into one the prices are so high and the sales people barely ever know what their talking about. They price their used games so high, it can almost always be cheaper to buy the game new from an online store. Example here in NZ, I just brought Kid Icarus for $55 NZ off NZgameshop.com. If I went into my local store it would cost $80-100nz new, $50-60nz used. So screw that! Unless the situation is really different overseas, I don't see anything wrong with this. All purchases will be online within 10-15 years anyway.

#18 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,672 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 21:38

The people who they are actually trying to enforce restrictions on won't have any of these restrictions. Cracks remove all of them. Only people who need to worry about this are the honest people.

Besides, I haven't bought a "Triple A" game in years, what with Humble Bundles, gog.com and millions of freeware games out there. And the last game I did buy was GTAIV, which I had to crack so it'd run at proper speeds. Man, I laughed at that one. (When you have to crack games you OWN, there is a massive problem). The next big game I'll buy is GW2, and that's about.......it....... Aside from indie stuff, which is usually more fun/innovative anyways.

#19 Prosidius

Prosidius

Geek.

• 3,127 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 29 March 2012 - 21:42

If I buy a used car, should I give money to Toyota to be able to use the car with full functionality? That's how stupid Sony and MS sound.

#20 rajputwarrior

rajputwarrior

olé olé olé olé

• 12,924 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 22:21

eventually all these idiots will learn is all they are really doing is promoting piracy.

#21 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

Did I cheat? No. ....Yes.

• 588 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 22:35

Blockbuster and Borders didn't fall because of used games. They fell because of mismanagement and failure to keep up with the market, while dismissing outright the threats posed by Amazon and Gamestop as competition in the retail arena, in terms of pricing, selection, availability and customer service. It was never about used games, it was about failed business models and failure to adapt.

If you're going to villainize used games, at least bring some evidence to the table. As it stands every good on the planet has a grey market and it's been that way for as long as people have been buying and selling things. If game publishers want sympathy, maybe they need to stop screwing over the customer base.

#22 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,291 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 22:37

i hope this doesn't catch on, because if it does it's going to affect every industry.... car makers will want a cut of used car sales, books, etc, etc...

#23 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,709 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 23:55

As a pc gamer I haven't been concerned with used games in many years. Not because I wouldn't buy used games, but because they just don't ****ing exist. I can however see this as a growing problem. It's pure greed by the publishers and that's all.

When there are quite a few quality games out or coming out that are free (tribes ascend, firefall, and dust 514 just to new a few) it's amazing that developers and publishers think people will always allow themselves to be nickle and dimed to death. Granted two of those games are pc exclusives, but the point still stands.

Edit: holy ****, typos

#24 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,438 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 23:56

I give it time before they start considering pre-owned games as piracy.

#25 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

• 588 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 00:08

As a pc gamer I haven't been concerned with used games in many years. Not because I wouldn't buy used games, but because they just don't ****ing exist. I can however see this as a growing problem. It's pure greed by the publishers and that's all.

When there are quite a few quality games out or coming out that are free (tribes ascend, firefall, and dust 514 just to new a few) it's amazing that developers and publishers think people will always allow themselves to be nickle and dimed to death. Granted two of those games are pc exclusives, but the point still stands.

Edit: holy ****, typos

All three of those are microtrans supported Free to Play >.> Those are the very definition of nickel and diming. Free to Play only exists because a sizable amount of the playerbase doesn't, in fact, mind being nickel and dimed.

#26 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,709 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 00:29

All three of those are microtrans supported Free to Play >.> Those are the very definition of nickel and diming. Free to Play only exists because a sizable amount of the playerbase doesn't, in fact, mind being nickel and dimed.

Not really. You can play Tribes Ascend competitively without spend a penny. Firefall doesn't have a cash shop, but even if it did (or will?) you can play just fine without spending any money. But I'll admit I don't know much about the Dust 514 game so you may have a point there.

#27 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

• 588 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 00:48

Not really. You can play Tribes Ascend competitively without spend a penny. Firefall doesn't have a cash shop, but even if it did (or will?) you can play just fine without spending any money. But I'll admit I don't know much about the Dust 514 game so you may have a point there.

The point is, you can play without paying a dime, but the games' continuing support is funded by the people who *do* pay. Those who agree with the nickle and dime a la carte method are allowing you to play for free. Also, Firefall will be supported by microtrans just like the others.

#28 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,709 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 00:59

The point is, you can play without paying a dime, but the games' continuing support is funded by the people who *do* pay. Those who agree with the nickle and dime a la carte method are allowing you to play for free. Also, Firefall will be supported by microtrans just like the others.

The point still stands. You don't have to pay money to play the game if you don't want to and still have access to the entire game. If others choose to spend money on the game is beside the point.

#29 Cheatyface

Cheatyface

• 588 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:13

The point still stands. You don't have to pay money to play the game if you don't want to and still have access to the entire game. If others choose to spend money on the game is beside the point.

No it's not. The very fact that others are accepting and making liberal use of the cash shop *is* the point. "Nickle and diming" has become the standard and is getting bigger because contrary to your belief that publishers and devs are wrong to think people will continue to accept it, people are *very* accepting of this method. You would not be able to play for free if other players weren't subsidizing the non-paying players by using the cash shops and buying DLC. You can argue it all you want but it's the truth.

#30 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,430 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:24

/uninformed and fearful of next Gen! I want cheap used games...