Windows 8 Start button isn't coming back, but there will be a tutorial

I teach graphic design, web design, composition and so on. I also have some courses for older people who want to learn graphic and web design. The problem is I often get people who have a difficulty even turning on their computer. Young or old, some people just seem to have difficulty using computers even though older people more often have this problem. I see many people going to the mac claiming it has an easier interface to learn, maybe that is correct.

If ordinary non computer disabled people are having difficulty learning win8 then I am already having nightmares thinking about how I deal with these people if we are using win8!

I use Paint.NET which is free and better than Instagram, so much of that. I can't wait for Metro to fail so bad on PC and MS pays price for their ignorance.

I think the only ignorance here is coming from you.

It's not going to flop. I've been using it for almost a month and I doubt I could go back to Windows 7 without missing the Start Screen. It just takes a little while to learn how to get around, but then it's great.

Well said. I however, can live without the Start page and am happy to be back on Windows 7. Now, if there are compelling Metro Apps, which will be a while, that might change. MS still needs an app as useable and self-contained as iTunes. Zune is good, but just not quite there.

I think interoperability with the phones and tablets are key. But they have some things to finish on the phone (such as complete bluetooth implementaion, lol) and need beefier tablet apps which I believe will come. I think Windows 8 tablets will be an easy success. Windows 8 on the desktop won't "fail" per se, it just won't unseat XP or 7 for a few years unless there is a total rejection which would cause MS to backtrack, which there won't be.

It has its place with home users. Windows 7 hasn't matured in the enterprise and I don't see 8 going big there for at least 3 years and 1, maybe two service packs, but we'll see. Great, substantive Metro Apps could change all that. Applications, not tapplets.

I teach graphic design, web design, composition and so on. I also have some courses for older people who want to learn graphic and web design. The problem is I often get people who have a difficulty even turning on their computer. Young or old, some people just seem to have difficulty using computers even though older people more often have this problem. I see many people going to the mac claiming it has an easier interface to learn, maybe that is correct.

If ordinary non computer disabled people are having difficulty learning win8 then I am already having nightmares thinking about how I deal with these people if we are using win8!

I'm no fan of Metro on the desktop, but if they're having trouble now, Windows 8 without a Metro App is only going to make it more difficult having to learn the hybrid UI. However, if there is a metro app to suit your needs, the Metro environment will be easier for those types of users for sure. But that's a year or more away if ever.

So, you're telling me more people still use Photoshop than Instagram? What world do you live on?

Hey Matrix, more people use the game Draw Something than use Photoshop. Has nothing to do with the fact that you said Instagram could replace Photoshop. It cannot, ever. And there will still be more people using Draw Something and MS Paintbrush than Photoshop.

Choose a better analogy. Photoshop is King!! and it costs a lot.

Having said that, I think PhotoShop could make an easy transition to Metro as almost no one uses PS in anything except full screen.

I'm no fan of Metro on the desktop, but if they're having trouble now, Windows 8 without a Metro App is only going to make it more difficult having to learn the hybrid UI. However, if there is a metro app to suit your needs, the Metro environment will be easier for those types of users for sure. But that's a year or more away if ever.

Well I doubt we will take up win8 until it is mainstream and well establised. So hopefully!

I think the only ignorance here is coming from you.

I also want it to flop, because they think they can do anything with the OS that most of us love without giving choice, problem? I have such a good luck, because I'm one of those IT guys, if somebody listens to us when the pc have problems the first ones are the enterprise and the people itself.

I doubt Corporations will buy into win 8. It would cost quite A bit to teach employees how to use the new UI.

Everybody around here is quite excited by it but I guess that might be a passing fancy. Also maybe an educational curiosity. Like I said before not so sure about it myself. Think win7 is fine for now.

• Like 1

Hey guys for Windows Vista lets make an awesome start menu! Have the ability to search from it and just make it easy to use.

Hey guys Windows 7 is here and you know that start menu we had in that horrible OS, think it was called Vista, well the start menu was awesome and worked so well, lets implement it in Windows 7 get everyone use to it!

Hey guys! I have an idea lets remove the awesome start menu in Windows 8 for no reason what so ever!

Everyone at MS: Great idea!

Everyone else = need whatever MS is smoking!

I doubt Corporations will buy into win 8. It would cost quite A bit to teach employees how to use the new UI.

I'm definitely not implementing this at work! Unless it's a tablet maybe (big maybe)

I also want it to flop, because they think they can do anything with the OS that most of us love without giving choice, problem? I have such a good luck, because I'm one of those IT guys, if somebody listens to us when the pc have problems the first ones are the enterprise and the people itself.

It's their OS, and they can do with it as they please. Honestly, to me it's a welcome change. I'm all for a dynamic, interactive UI. Even on desktops. Trust me, people will catch on.

There's a movement now with companies finally moving from XP to Win7. I don't see a lot of them upgrading all their computers again for at least a few more years, most likely skipping 8 (possibly 9 too) just due to long upgrade cycles alone.

Hey guys for Windows Vista lets make an awesome start menu! Have the ability to search from it and just make it easy to use.

Hey guys Windows 7 is here and you know that start menu we had in that horrible OS, think it was called Vista, well the start menu was awesome and worked so well, lets implement it in Windows 7 get everyone use to it!

People did not embrace Vista's Start Menu or greater prevalence of searching, for that matter.

Can you please include the option of changing the start menu to XP style. I

dont like the default Vista start menu and the other option available is

windows 98 style. That sucks I cant believe there is no option to change the

start menu to XP.

Please include this option in SP1 for Vista.

Thanks

For all those who agree the programs list menu on Vista sucks Raise your hands!.

If u agree with me..

then welcome.. but u cant do anything.. as Service packs dont change the Menu.

And most of us have disabled Windows Search Indexer... it is impractical. Resource hog no.1 !

Why you have to search often ?

Manage your files in Harddrive in directories.

I have set up a few desktop folders to organize my shortcuts. For

example, I have a folder called Internet that contains short cuts to

all of my on line applications. The problem is that this folder by

default displays an address bar with a search box to the right of the

address box. How do I go about getting rid of that search box?

People did not embrace Vista's Start Menu or greater prevalence of searching, for that matter.

OH man, so spot on, good job. It's so funny how short term memories most of the people on here seem to have, or at least are acting like they forget because it doesn't fit with the stance they're taking.

Everytime MS has made a change to the UI there's always been a group who's protested just like this, it's now a common thing to me and I laugh at it. When Win95 brought explorer with it there was a group who wanted program manager still. When XP brought Luna and the Start "panel" people wanted classic and the old start menu. When Vista landed people wanted the XP start menu back and so on and so forth. This cycle is boring now, I guess i've just been around tech too long and can remember all this, or maybe I'm one of the few who doesn't act like I don't remember?

Hell, for all the love people give Windows 7 when it landed people wanted to know how they could turn the new superbar back into the old vista style taskbar. It never ends it seems.

• Like 2

Hell, for all the love people give Windows 7 when it landed people wanted to know how they could turn the new superbar back into the old vista style taskbar. It never ends it seems.

Friends of mine would complain how they were supposed to remember what windows are what without the taskbar text. Now they can't get enough of Windows 7.

I hate how the metro lovers here can't accept that people either don't like Metro or simply dislike the the fact its been forced on us. They are just as bad as Microsoft in my opinion.

The two column start menu started in XP. Classic (9x style) was made a option and remained an option in Vista before being removed in Windows 7. Two Windows versions gave the choice, but here: no choice.

It shows, in my opinion, how little faith MS has in Metro on Windows when they won't give you an option, like they did with XP/Vista.

Obvioulsy win7 is much better then vista ever was. Vista however wasn't really bad if you had like a military super computer with enough ram to run it. Ok maybe not quite so bad but you know what I mean. ;) I remember liking Vista when it came out but I was flabbergasted at all the stores selling computers with vista and 256mb of ram! I mean wtf.

I hate how the metro lovers here can't accept that people either don't like Metro or simply dislike the the fact its been forced on us.

There's that word again. "Forced". I wish I had a dollar every time I saw someone throw this word around. Last time I checked, Windows 7 will be supported for years to come, and not one person was forcing you to upgrade. If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple.

People like XPClient like throwing that word around even *after* Microsoft gave you choice for years (Removing the 9x Menu from 7 - forcing us to use the Windows 7 "panel".). Choice or not, even after feature XYZ gets removed in Windows 9, you'll be back here doing the same thing. "They're forcing us to waaaa, waaaa, waaa..."

The "forced" argument is old. Microsoft "forces" you no more than Apple "forces" it's users. Am I allowed to change the UI of an iPad? MacBook?

Dot Matrix. You have proved my point.

So I don't get into a pointless arguement, welcome to my ignore list.

Good-bye!

... what

There's that word again. "Forced". I wish I had a dollar every time I saw someone throw this word around. Last time I checked, Windows 7 will be supported for years to come, and not one person was forcing you to upgrade. If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple.

People like XPClient like throwing that word around even *after* Microsoft gave you choice for years (Removing the 9x Menu from 7 - forcing us to use the Windows 7 "panel".). Choice or not, even after feature XYZ gets removed in Windows 9, you'll be back here doing the same thing. "They're forcing us to waaaa, waaaa, waaa..."

The "forced" argument is old. Microsoft "forces" you no more than Apple "forces" it's users.

The problem is that Microsoft is not like Cars. Windows is not a choice like a car. There will coming days where I'm forced to use Windows 8 or later because new software will no more able to work on older systems. So I'm forced to use a system which I don't like because alternate systems are no options for me. Both ways are no solutions:

Microsoft: We don't give you the choice to change

Users: We don't use new systems.

No compromise in this subject. Bad for both sides.

The problem is that Microsoft is not like Cars. Windows is not a choice like a car. There will coming days where I'm forced to use Windows 8 or later because new software will no more able to work on older systems. So I'm forced to use a system which I don't like because alternate systems are no options for me. Both ways are no solutions:

Microsoft: We don't give you the choice to change

Users: We don't use new systems.

No compromise in this subject. Bad for both sides.

How do you know you won't like Windows 9? By the time you need to upgrade, Windows 10 and possibly even 11 will be in beta.

How do you know you won't like Windows 9? By the time you need to upgrade, Windows 10 and possibly even 11 will be in beta.

I can just guess. But I think Microsoft wouldn't be so strict if they want bring back the startmenu in Windows 9. And for me it is no the startmenu it self. For me it is the changing of the desktop what I dislike. An adequate replacement would be ok for me. But a Start(full)screen, If metro or no metro design, is not adequate for me.

I can just guess. But I think Microsoft wouldn't be so strict if they want bring back the startmenu in Windows 9. And for me it is no the startmenu it self. For me it is the changing of the desktop what I dislike. An adequate replacement would be ok for me. But a Start(full)screen, If metro or no metro design, is not adequate for me.

fair enough. But I just don't see the start menu coming back in Windows 9. The Start Screen unifies Microsoft's products and completes their "Three screens and a cloud" strategy.

I hate how the metro lovers here can't accept that people either don't like Metro or simply dislike the the fact its been forced on us. They are just as bad as Microsoft in my opinion.

The two column start menu started in XP. Classic (9x style) was made a option and remained an option in Vista before being removed in Windows 7. Two Windows versions gave the choice, but here: no choice.

It shows, in my opinion, how little faith MS has in Metro on Windows when they won't give you an option, like they did with XP/Vista.

Again we've explained repeatedly why they can't waste resources supporting two paradigms, it's just you haters, refuse to listen to those arguments and keep repeating the same "choice" rut. The choice is to stay with windows 7 until it's out of support and by Windows 10 you will be on Metro whether you like it or not. which is also more versions than you had support for the ancient bad multi column XP start menu.

Also the reason why they supported multiple menus back then was because it used the same back end. now they would be supporting two entirely different code bases. not a workable scenario in the modern world.