Windows 8 with ATI video card= a mess?

Hi.

I've been using Win 8 CP for the past weeks now. Apart from the metro UI, which I find kinda annoying, the OS moves really smooth, a lot more than Win 7 and that's why I want to stick with it.

However, I seem to have some problems with my video card, a ATI Radeon HD 4250. I am using a laptop, so it's a integrated video card, but I never had any problems with it using Win 7. When I try to play any 3D game I have these horrible artifacts and glitches that make the game unplayable. I installed Win 7 in dual boot to test if it was hardware related, but there seems to be no problem if I run games from it.

I tried old drivers, the new Win 8 CP driver and googled this issue a lot, but to no avail.

Does anybody have any clue to what changes I should make to fix this?

I'd give MS and AMD an email, see what they have to say, quite possible like you say they have not added support for your card yet

Only other suggestion would be installing the Win 7 drivers in compatibility mode, you might get a better result with them

You'll have to wait for future driver support I'm afraid. I have the same issue with an RS700 based motherboard (Ati HD 3200 Integrated) that I was trying to test Media Center and HTPC roles on with Windows 8 CP.

If it's anything like with Windows 7, we'll be waiting until shortly after retail dates.

i have a problem with some old games as well like red alert 2 (I use Nvidia)

works fine on win 7 i guess we all should wait until all the mess is solved

I have to say this.

im using windows 8 now.

and its sad to see that the beta is not supported as well as windows 7 beta was supported.

i have an Nvidia card and photoshop is crashing all the time. Nvidia or AMD are not showing the support they should show. I really don't understand why. Same with some other apps. When windows 7 beta came out.. all of the softwares released software for windows 7 beta within a month. but here i cant see any..

You guys expect them to support old hardware? The HD4000 and 200 series cards aren't 1.2 WDDM capable (requires DX11 HW support) so it's probably not in their priority list.

If it makes you guys feel any better, I have a 4890 and it works fine in W8, except for Aero Peek's animation being black until it's done, at which point it becomes transparent as its supposed to be.

So support for lower end HW WILL come. When? Eh, who knows.

I don't remember them supporting W7 all that well back then, either. I remember using Vista drivers for the most part, although my memory isn't the greatest so... I might be wrong.

only thing i hated on my pc about win 8cp is my ati radeon 5570 card ∨ drivers made my 1920 X 1080 monitor have a black top bottom and sides bar around the "frame" of my desktop...resolution was set correctly...i could not fix it so i uninstalled...works fine on my intel graphics laptop and and my old nvidia gt 6 something, lol...

Also, i tried the iso install from dvd and the download install, seems certain settings are missing and or different from the iso install, anyone else notice there seems to be differences between the 2 install options?

only thing i hated on my pc about win 8cp is my ati radeon 5570 card ∨ drivers made my 1920 X 1080 monitor have a black top bottom and sides bar around the "frame" of my desktop...resolution was set correctly...i could not fix it so i uninstalled...works fine on my intel graphics laptop and and my old nvidia gt 6 something, lol...

Also, i tried the iso install from dvd and the download install, seems certain settings are missing and or different from the iso install, anyone else notice there seems to be differences between the 2 install options?

You could have fixed that by using the scaling option in CCC ;)

So long as you were using the win 8 drivers

Thank you for all the responses.

I installed the current Win 7 drivers for my card using compatibility mode, but there is no change. CCC won't even show me proper controls in and mode( advanced/standard), just tabs related to battery performance and power plans, just like with the Win 8 driver.

I'll send an email to both companies, but I don't believe they'll help me much or get this fixed anytime soon.

You guys expect them to support old hardware? The HD4000 and 200 series cards aren't 1.2 WDDM capable (requires DX11 HW support) so it's probably not in their priority list.

I don't expect them to force everyone without a DX11 card to buy a new one in order to be able to play Minecraft or Unreal Tournament '99 kind of games in Windows 8.

well if it helps you, my motherboard has Integrated ATI Radeon? HD 4250 GPU, while I was waiting for my other video card to be exchanged I installed windows 8 just using the onboard 4250, windows 8 installed a driver for me, I even used it to play gta iv, never had a hitch!

I don't expect them to force everyone without a DX11 card to buy a new one in order to be able to perform everyday tasks in Windows 8.

You shouldnt expect a BETA to have proper support of old HW is all I'm saying. Once the retail hits, it will be fine. My 4890 doesn't support DX11 either and it works fine in Games.

AMD still supports AGP cards on W7, so HD3000/4000 series cards will be supported in W8, it's a given. It's just not on their priority list right now.

You shouldnt expect a BETA to have proper support of old HW is all I'm saying. Once the retail hits, it will be fine. My 4890 doesn't support DX11 either and it works fine in Games.

AMD still supports AGP cards on W7, so HD3000/4000 series cards will be supported in W8, it's a given. It's just not on their priority list right now.

I did say that drivers will probably come after retail like they did last time for 2-3 generations before current gen. Similar issues when they implemented WDDM 1.1.

with the 42xx series, support most likely won't be added till RTM

AMD is more focused on their newer more powerful cards for the testing of the beta drivers

Just be thankful they work. I can't even boot into Windows since Windows "Update" found an update for my 3000HD + 6630m card that causes the entire OS to freeze. I don't even get a blue screen, it's bad.

The only resource I have is to not use ATI's drivers and just the intel ones, which means my HDMI port doesn't work.

Thank you again for all the responses.

Seems like MrWhistler was right, I uninstalled and deleted all ATI drivers everywhere and restarted. Every game works like a charm now, no more glitches or anything else.

I am surprised, I must say, that drivers can cause

such issues. I will write to ATI to look into this.

In the meantime, maybe this could fix more types of problems with drivers and Windows 8, so do try it if you have any issues.

AMD only supports the 5xxx series onwards for Windows 8. I tried to get AMD drivers working with an old 4870 - both the regular and Windows 8 preview drivers - but had no luck. In the end I resorted to an even older nVidia card - an 8800GTS 320MB - and to my surprise it works fine. nVidia has much better driver support for older cards.

Thank you again for all the responses.

Seems like MrWhistler was right, I uninstalled and deleted all ATI drivers everywhere and restarted. Every game works like a charm now, no more glitches or anything else.

I am surprised, I must say, that drivers can cause

such issues. I will write to ATI to look into this.

In the meantime, maybe this could fix more types of problems with drivers and Windows 8, so do try it if you have any issues.

no problem, glad to help you! take care

If it makes you guys feel any better, I have a 4890 and it works fine in W8, except for Aero Peek's animation being black until it's done, at which point it becomes transparent as its supposed to be.

So support for lower end HW WILL come. When? Eh, who knows.

I don't remember them supporting W7 all that well back then, either. I remember using Vista drivers for the most part, although my memory isn't the greatest so... I might be wrong.

I have the HD5450 (included WDDM 1.2 support OOTB) and it works just fine (AMD preview drivers). Consider HD6xxx as an upgrade, HD4xxx owners (HD66xx/67xx/68xx) - all three are ridiculously cheap.