Photo

Windows 8 with ATI video card= a mess?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 31 March 2012 - 15:37

You shouldnt expect a BETA to have proper support of old HW is all I'm saying. Once the retail hits, it will be fine. My 4890 doesn't support DX11 either and it works fine in Games.
AMD still supports AGP cards on W7, so HD3000/4000 series cards will be supported in W8, it's a given. It's just not on their priority list right now.

I did say that drivers will probably come after retail like they did last time for 2-3 generations before current gen. Similar issues when they implemented WDDM 1.1.

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 31 March 2012 - 15:42

with the 42xx series, support most likely won't be added till RTM

AMD is more focused on their newer more powerful cards for the testing of the beta drivers

#18 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2012 - 15:45

Yea could only come up with these and you probably already tried those.

http://driverscollec...TI&SS=Windows 8

#19 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:04

Just be thankful they work. I can't even boot into Windows since Windows "Update" found an update for my 3000HD + 6630m card that causes the entire OS to freeze. I don't even get a blue screen, it's bad.

The only resource I have is to not use ATI's drivers and just the intel ones, which means my HDMI port doesn't work.

#20 OP mwentosana

mwentosana

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:25

Thank you again for all the responses.

Seems like MrWhistler was right, I uninstalled and deleted all ATI drivers everywhere and restarted. Every game works like a charm now, no more glitches or anything else.

I am surprised, I must say, that drivers can cause
such issues. I will write to ATI to look into this.

In the meantime, maybe this could fix more types of problems with drivers and Windows 8, so do try it if you have any issues.

#21 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:45

AMD only supports the 5xxx series onwards for Windows 8. I tried to get AMD drivers working with an old 4870 - both the regular and Windows 8 preview drivers - but had no luck. In the end I resorted to an even older nVidia card - an 8800GTS 320MB - and to my surprise it works fine. nVidia has much better driver support for older cards.

#22 MrWhistler

MrWhistler

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2012 - 19:37

Thank you again for all the responses.

Seems like MrWhistler was right, I uninstalled and deleted all ATI drivers everywhere and restarted. Every game works like a charm now, no more glitches or anything else.

I am surprised, I must say, that drivers can cause
such issues. I will write to ATI to look into this.

In the meantime, maybe this could fix more types of problems with drivers and Windows 8, so do try it if you have any issues.

no problem, glad to help you! take care

#23 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:56

I'm on ATI Mobility Radeon 5470, and I seem to have no issues at all.

#24 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2012 - 21:28

You guys expect them to support old hardware? The HD4000 and 200 series cards aren't 1.2 WDDM capable (requires DX11 HW support) so it's probably not in their priority list.

If it makes you guys feel any better, I have a 4890 and it works fine in W8, except for Aero Peek's animation being black until it's done, at which point it becomes transparent as its supposed to be.
So support for lower end HW WILL come. When? Eh, who knows.

I don't remember them supporting W7 all that well back then, either. I remember using Vista drivers for the most part, although my memory isn't the greatest so... I might be wrong.

I have the HD5450 (included WDDM 1.2 support OOTB) and it works just fine (AMD preview drivers). Consider HD6xxx as an upgrade, HD4xxx owners (HD66xx/67xx/68xx) - all three are ridiculously cheap.

#25 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:56

Are you guys sure they're going to supper the 4xxx range in Windows 8?

That's pretty old hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop it.

#26 Pikey

Pikey

Neowinian

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:14

My Win 8 machine has an Asus M4A88T-M motherboad with on-board HD 4250 which is not that old , and quite common too so they might keep it going for a little while yet!

Let's hope so anyway ...

#27 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iphone 5S

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:23

Are you guys sure they're going to supper the 4xxx range in Windows 8?

That's pretty old hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop it.

it is not that old.

#28 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:42

it is not that old.

It's three generations old.

When Win 7 was released, they had just about released the 4xxx range - and immediately dropped support for the 1 & 2 range as they didn't support anything other than DX9.

#29 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iphone 5S

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:13

It's three generations old.

When Win 7 was released, they had just about released the 4xxx range - and immediately dropped support for the 1 & 2 range as they didn't support anything other than DX9.

that is 2 years and a bit , doubt they would drop support for it now

would be in low priority now ; release functional driver for Win8 and when HD8xxx come out early next year
they would axe support for HD 4K series

wouldn't care either way i have HD 6870 could easily last me three more year
my current PC is overpowered

#30 The Protagonist

The Protagonist

time for a little wget magic

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:18

i have the new 7970 installed on my new machine and i must say that AMD has done a really really bad job on their windows 8 drivers, first of being the fact the generic windows 8 drivers are more stable, secondly AMD said that they would fix all the windows 8 bugs a few weeks after the CP release. still waiting amd...