Beggars at Wal-Mart

So as I was packing my groceries away in the Wal-Mart parking lot a few minutes ago, I overhear a group of 3 or 4 women begging this lady in her car for some money to buy groceries. She obviously said no because they then broke into saying things like, "We're not using it for anything bad" and "We love Jesus". Meanwhile, one of the girls who wasn't directly engaged in the conversation, was playing with a cell phone. I work hard, every day. I have deployed to a warzone and served my country, and in my life, in order to afford the things we had to pay for like rent and groceries, I have made sacrifices. I turned off our cable television, cancelled my wife's cell phone since she stays at home and it was less important that she have one, and I have sold video games that I like in order to afford the things my family needed. I could go on, but you get the point. When I see people like this, who think that a cell phone is just as, or apparently more important than groceries, and they try to use religion to coerce people, I just want to punch them in the throat and then laugh as they gasp for air...

And maybe they have that cell phone plan for broke people...

And maybe they're just too lazy to balance a budget, and would rather pay for their iPhone than buy groceries. I have no sympathy or respect for beggars who choose to stay on the streets. I get approached by people on a regular basis in this town, it's ridiculous, and they're all "Old infantrymen from the Gulf War" or "Just having a hard time", or "Just need a couple bucks to buy some gas", but it's weird that gas isn't good enough, only the money to buy it is. I've donated to one person since I've been here, he asked me for some food, instead of money, so I bought him a burger and fries, since he was legitimately in need. I have no problem with people who have legitimately fallen on hard times, I've been there. The majority of them here though are just human refuse that need to be scraped off the planet and disposed of.

And what would assaulting them by punching them in the throat achieve?

No one said it would achieve anything. It would just make him happy.

I dont condone that its right, he didnt say he WOULD do it, cause ive been in that same mood, but would I realistically do it? No. It's just said as frustration because in everyday life he probably has 10-20(estimating) beg him but then play with there phones, or get into a "nice" car and not no beater that sounds like it can kill someone when it starts. etc.

I dont condone that its right, he didnt say he WOULD do it, cause ive been in that same mood, but would I realistically do it? No. It's just said as frustration because in everyday life he probably has 10-20(estimating) beg him but then play with there phones, or get into a "nice" car and not no beater that sounds like it can kill someone when it starts. etc.

Nice cars are generally cheaper than beaters in total though.

So as I was packing my groceries away in the Wal-Mart parking lot a few minutes ago, I overhear a group of 3 or 4 women begging this lady in her car for some money to buy groceries. She obviously said no because they then broke into saying things like, "We're not using it for anything bad" and "We love Jesus". Meanwhile, one of the girls who wasn't directly engaged in the conversation, was playing with a cell phone. I work hard, every day. I have deployed to a warzone and served my country, and in my life, in order to afford the things we had to pay for like rent and groceries, I have made sacrifices. I turned off our cable television, cancelled my wife's cell phone since she stays at home and it was less important that she have one, and I have sold video games that I like in order to afford the things my family needed. I could go on, but you get the point. When I see people like this, who think that a cell phone is just as, or apparently more important than groceries, and they try to use religion to coerce people, I just want to punch them in the throat and then laugh as they gasp for air...

Wow... you're pretty judgmental aren't you? You have no idea what their situation is... for all you know they just recently hit upon hard times and are still on the hook for the phone contract, or someone else is paying the bill... or maybe they stole it. Either way, why are you getting so bunged-up about it? I get asked for 'spare change' all the time, but I don't get my panties in a wad over it... I just politely say 'No' and move on. I choose to help people down on their luck by donating money to food banks, that way I don't have to worry about it being used for booze or drugs... just people who are truly hungry. The rest of our charitable efforts go to other causes we care about... primarily working with children and adults who have special needs.

You on the other hand feel it's acceptable to share the fact that you entertain assaulting them because they aren't living up to YOUR standards... who are you to make such judgment? By you own admission you haven't done so great yourself... you've had to cut off services and sell things to make ends meet... maybe you should focus more energy on improving your ability to consistently take care of your family, and worry less about how others are living their lives (especially when what they're doing has no material effect on your life).

If you continue to think that it'd be funny to punch them in the throat and laugh while they gasp for air, then maybe you should start begging outside Wal-Mart yourself! You could have a sign that says 'Need money for anger management therapy'.

That's the thing about ex-soldiers (at least the young ones): they base everything around "Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way". It's that outdated, alpha-male BS that we just can't get rid of. They're usually pro-violence douche bags that think the world owes them a favor because they CHOSE to go to war. But what do you expect when all the military does is break your character and teach you to kill?

Down here in FL, I see beggars all the time. They're usually scruffy, old-looking people that genuinely look like they're having a rough time, but you can never tell if they have a Mercedes parked around the corner. I usually feel sorry for them because they seem to be more frequent these days, but I am reluctant to donate (usually because I'm strapped too). But I have done it before. Do I think I am better than anyone for it? No. Do I think they deserve donations from everyone? No. I CHOSE TO because it makes me feel better as a person.

What the hell are you 2 talking about he does take care of his family and when did he mention the world owes him something? he's saying people should prioritize there life better, I see the same **** with my friends they complain they're poor even though they have a phone for all their family members broadband and cable every time they get money they think they have to spend it which usually leads to them wasting there money on a night out, the only difference between the 2 is the UK is a welfare state.

Happy?Happy? Happy after punching someone in the throat? Happy seeing someone falling down to their knees, reaching for air? Happy witnessing the swelling of the throat block the windpipe? Happy looking at the paramedics making an emergency tracheotomia so that oxygen can reach the lungs? Happy that one's own jealousy and anger almost killed someone?

There are liars among beggars: I have witnessed plenty of examples, the whole family lining shops in the street only to be picked up in an expensive car during the evening. Sure they abuse the system and the generosity of people but using violence against them does not make the situation any better.

What the hell are you 2 talking about he does take care of his family and when did he mention the world owes him something? he's saying people should prioritize there life better

I'm not sure if you're unable to comprehend what I wrote, or are simply unwilling because it doesn't fit into the narrative that you wish to pursue. I never said he doesn't take care of his family... what I suggested is that instead of expending the energy to whine on the Internet about how others are leading their lives, he should focus it on improving his ability to better provide for his family... to do so in a more consistent manner. By his own admission he's had to cut his wife's mobile phone, as well as the family's cable TV service... and he's been forced to sell games he liked in order to provide what his family needs.

If I'm to use the same standard that he levies upon those beggars at Wal-Mart I would say he needs to better manage his budget and prioritize his life... maybe he shouldn't have bought those games in the first place (or that phone and cable TV service), and instead should have been putting that money into savings. If I continue to use is his standard, I would say that he's desperately close to being someone who is "human refuse that needs to be scraped off the planet and disposed of". All in all he comes across as the functional alcoholic complaining about the drunks on the street.

As to whether or not he feels the world owes him something, I never touched on that in my original post, but it's clear that he thinks that. That's why he mentioned that he'd deployed to a warzone and served his country... why else would he mention that except to use it as a tool to position himself as someone more worthy than those beggars? What possible difference does it make to the subject at hand? He clearly feels that, in this instance, the world of this message board owes him more credibility because of his service... well that doesn't work for me. If this were a discussion about the experience of being a soldier in a war zone/battle situation, then yes... he would have more credibility than those who had not served in such scenarios. But simply taking the subject up a level, to the political discussion of whether or not a country should engage in wars... then the bit gets flipped... his opinion wouldn't hold any more water than anyone else's (again, in my opinion).

I think it would have been far more impressive if, instead of his child-like raging against the beggars, he'd gone up to them and engaged in a calm and rational discussion with them about what brought them to where they are, why they see this as their best option... whether or not they really think this is a path to long-term success and sustainability. He might have learned a lot, and it might have helped shape him into a better person... of course, it might not too. It all depends on him.

Happy?Happy? Happy after punching someone in the throat? Happy seeing someone falling down to their knees, reaching for air? Happy witnessing the swelling of the throat block the windpipe? Happy looking at the paramedics making an emergency tracheotomia so that oxygen can reach the lungs? Happy that one's own jealousy and anger almost killed someone?

There are liars among beggars: I have witnessed plenty of examples, the whole family lining shops in the street only to be picked up in an expensive car during the evening. Sure they abuse the system and the generosity of people but using violence against them does not make the situation any better.

Yes punching a lying scumbag that is trying to take advantage of others would make me very happy, they are scum of society and the faster we call them out and stop excusing their actions the better off we will be in the long run

I must agree 100% with what the OP is saying. It seems like every time I go to Wal-Mart 1 of 3 things hits me:

1. The Employee's and customers standing by the front doors smoking.

2. The vagrants who seem to magically appear and ask for money or a cigarette.

3. The cart pushers standing around cursing at each other.

Lately it seems that these 'poor' people or beggars (there is a small difference) seem to target anyone who has a cart full of goods.

I'm just going to say one thing. Who begs for money at a Wal-Mart...? Not exactly the best place to find people with a lot of money to give.

I hate when my boyfriend gives money to beggars. Not because they don't deserve it or some other philosophical reason, but because someone who is begging for money has nothing to lose. Hell, if they kill you, they finally get a home and meals in jail.

That for me is the number one reason to avoid beggars at all costs.

Maybe the question should be asked is why does one have to resort to begging in the first place - most people I know wouldn't resort to begging unless they really, really, really needed to, that they had no other option but that.