Photo

what do you need the start button for?

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 eccofresh

eccofresh

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2012 - 15:58

I read a lot of complaining about the missing start button. Finally I got to install Windows 8 and I dont really miss it.

Just create shortcuts on the Metro Dashboard for apps you often use or simply type in the app name and the search brings it up instantly.

whats the big problem?

#2 azspeedbullet

azspeedbullet

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:23

the metro dashbaord can be very very very clutter if you have more then 50 or more programs installed. there is no way to organized them

#3 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:26

I thought the Start button was essential until I started to use different operating systems. It's not really needed - people are just too used to the menu on the bottom left that's been there for years.

#4 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:26

the metro dashbaord can be very very very clutter if you have more then 50 or more programs installed. there is no way to organized them

? i don't understand

on the main metro start screen you can group tiles into groups that you can name whatever you want

on the All Programs section of the screen apps are sorted the exact same way they were in the old all programs menu

so i don't see the problem

edit: also, I don't know many casual users that will have that many apps installed

heck, I don't even have that many apps installed atm

#5 pack34

pack34

Professional Electron Wrangler

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:28

You can group like programs together, name them, and arrange the tiles as you see fit. Newly installed programs get added to the end. I've found it useful to add a "recently installed" group at the end so I can unpin them later or add them to an existing group.

However, as the number of programs increases the most efficient way to launch is to search. If you prefer an "all apps" list like the windows 7 "all programs" list, just click on the search charm and it pops up. Like programs (such as MS Office) are automatically grouped.

#6 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:32

If you prefer an "all apps" list like the windows 7 "all programs" list, just click on the search charm and it pops up. Like programs (such as MS Office) are automatically grouped.

you don't even have to do that. just right click on the start screen (or swipe up if you're on a tablet) to bring up the bottom menu and there is an "all programs" button

#7 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:33

i rarely actually browse the Start Menu; however, i use it all the time for searching for a program. Start button the keyboard, type, enter, done.

im sure this can be done in the Metro UI, though, right?

#8 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:34

i rarely actually browse the Start Menu; however, i use it all the time for searching for a program. Start button the keyboard, type, enter, done.

you are correct, that works exactly the same

#9 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:34

I don't want icons or titles on desktop like I have nothing on Windows 7.

Taskbar at bottom is for multitasking so I can switch apps. Start button is for my menu to access to the programs.

I have live weather information on my desktop instead of pulling an app or browser to check the weather.

Metro isn't working well for advanced users such as design or video work.

Looks like I might switch to iMac in near future. Metro is great on tablets or touch-based devices such as monitors, All-In-One PC, etc.

#10 pack34

pack34

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:38

I don't want icons or titles on desktop like I have nothing on Windows 7.

Taskbar at bottom is for multitasking so I can switch apps. Start button is for my menu to access to the programs.

I have live weather information on my desktop instead of pulling an app or browser to check the weather.

Metro isn't working well for advanced users such as design or video work.

Looks like I might switch to iMac in near future. Metro is great on tablets or touch-based devices such as monitors, All-In-One PC, etc.

The desktop is still there if you need it. If you wish to stick to using the desktop UI then metro is just a fancy app launcher.

#11 nominak

nominak

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:39

In Metro UI you just start typing. No need for the start button on keyboard. Just start typing.

#12 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:39

Its needed if you have say 100+ programs installed. I doubt you would remember the names of all 100+.

#13 pack34

pack34

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:41

Its needed if you have say 100+ programs installed. I doubt you would remember the names of all 100+.

You can browse all your installed programs just as easy in the start screen as you did in the start menu.

#14 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:41

Some people are under the false impression that Metro doesn't work with keyboard and mouse input, and think Microsoft is forcing them into buying new hardware.

#15 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:44

The desktop is still there if you need it. If you wish to stick to using the desktop UI then metro is just a fancy app launcher.

I know that, but metro based app will take you back to Metro screen.. When it's done, I have to click to go back to desktop... broken workflow.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!