what do you need the start button for?

I read a lot of complaining about the missing start button. Finally I got to install Windows 8 and I dont really miss it.

Just create shortcuts on the Metro Dashboard for apps you often use or simply type in the app name and the search brings it up instantly.

whats the big problem?

• Like 3

I thought the Start button was essential until I started to use different operating systems. It's not really needed - people are just too used to the menu on the bottom left that's been there for years.

• Like 2

the metro dashbaord can be very very very clutter if you have more then 50 or more programs installed. there is no way to organized them

? i don't understand

on the main metro start screen you can group tiles into groups that you can name whatever you want

on the All Programs section of the screen apps are sorted the exact same way they were in the old all programs menu

so i don't see the problem

edit: also, I don't know many casual users that will have that many apps installed

heck, I don't even have that many apps installed atm

the metro dashbaord can be very very very clutter if you have more then 50 or more programs installed. there is no way to organized them

You can group like programs together, name them, and arrange the tiles as you see fit. Newly installed programs get added to the end. I've found it useful to add a "recently installed" group at the end so I can unpin them later or add them to an existing group.

However, as the number of programs increases the most efficient way to launch is to search. If you prefer an "all apps" list like the windows 7 "all programs" list, just click on the search charm and it pops up. Like programs (such as MS Office) are automatically grouped.

If you prefer an "all apps" list like the windows 7 "all programs" list, just click on the search charm and it pops up. Like programs (such as MS Office) are automatically grouped.

you don't even have to do that. just right click on the start screen (or swipe up if you're on a tablet) to bring up the bottom menu and there is an "all programs" button

i rarely actually browse the Start Menu; however, i use it all the time for searching for a program. Start button the keyboard, type, enter, done.

im sure this can be done in the Metro UI, though, right?

i rarely actually browse the Start Menu; however, i use it all the time for searching for a program. Start button the keyboard, type, enter, done.

you are correct, that works exactly the same

I don't want icons or titles on desktop like I have nothing on Windows 7.

Taskbar at bottom is for multitasking so I can switch apps. Start button is for my menu to access to the programs.

I have live weather information on my desktop instead of pulling an app or browser to check the weather.

Metro isn't working well for advanced users such as design or video work.

Looks like I might switch to iMac in near future. Metro is great on tablets or touch-based devices such as monitors, All-In-One PC, etc.

I don't want icons or titles on desktop like I have nothing on Windows 7.

Taskbar at bottom is for multitasking so I can switch apps. Start button is for my menu to access to the programs.

I have live weather information on my desktop instead of pulling an app or browser to check the weather.

Metro isn't working well for advanced users such as design or video work.

Looks like I might switch to iMac in near future. Metro is great on tablets or touch-based devices such as monitors, All-In-One PC, etc.

The desktop is still there if you need it. If you wish to stick to using the desktop UI then metro is just a fancy app launcher.

In Metro UI you just start typing. No need for the start button on keyboard. Just start typing.

Its needed if you have say 100+ programs installed. I doubt you would remember the names of all 100+.

You can browse all your installed programs just as easy in the start screen as you did in the start menu.

Some people are under the false impression that Metro doesn't work with keyboard and mouse input, and think Microsoft is forcing them into buying new hardware.

• Like 3

The desktop is still there if you need it. If you wish to stick to using the desktop UI then metro is just a fancy app launcher.

I know that, but metro based app will take you back to Metro screen.. When it's done, I have to click to go back to desktop... broken workflow.

• Like 2

The start button makes working on someone ELSES computer much easier. Sure, if its your computer, you can put whatever icons you want wherever you want. If you're a tech, this whole thing is just ****ing us off. Don't worry, we'll get over it, and mark all of our rates up, no big.

I know that, but metro based app will take you back to Metro screen.. When it's done, I have to click to go back to desktop... broken workflow.

Then if you're deciding to stick with desktop apps, why are you switching back and forth? If you don't like metro then don't use metro apps. Heck you can uninstall all of them.

Then if you're deciding to stick with desktop apps, why are you switching back and forth? If you don't like metro then don't use metro apps. Heck you can uninstall all of them.

I know but it won't be around very long because the developers are creating apps for Metro which means developers may stop developing the apps for desktops in near future. I know they can not create 2 modes (desktop and metro) of each app. Too much time on it. Unless they can create 2 modes in 1 app such as universal app like iOS has.

I wish they develop an app with first time installation to ask the user which mode you want to use, for example: "Which mode you want this installer to install an app in? Desktop or Metro" If an user choose Metro, then an app will be installed in Metro otherwise app will be installed in desktop if desktop is chosen.

If desktop is chosen, the installer will download desktop app then install it or take the user to the website to download an app via their desktop version of browser.

Plus, if installer detect a device such as tablet, the installer will disable the desktop option or won't show desktop option such as invisible.

Looks like desktop computers may not be around in near future if Metro is popular and huge in marketshare in some day which I hope not. I like to have desktop computers for very long time for gaming, heavy mulitasking, heavy editing such as photoshop, etc.

Some of metro apps are not supported with mouse wheel which you will have to drag the bottom scrollbar to scroll left or right. Lame. Mouse wheel = winner.

I know but it won't be around very long because the developers are creating apps for Metro which means developers may stop developing the apps for desktops in near future.

They pretty much already have. Desktop development on Windows was destroyed years ago. Very few programs take advantage of Windows 7 technologies.

Honestly I don't need it. But I would like some consistent behavior between the desktop and Metro. As it is for a lot of things that I do I've found that I'd have to be on the desktop working and then switch over to Metro and then switch back to the desktop. Should be able to do all common tasks in both interfaces. I'm glad that they kept the desktop around instead of just going with pure Metro because Metro is quite frankly a disaster for professionals (Quite good for casual users though!) - But it's just weird how there are so many inconsistencies between the two and how some fluidity was lost due to having to switch between the desktop and metro. Quite honestly if I didn't HAVE TO switch into Metro to do some things, I would never even use it.

Looks like desktop computers may not be around in near future if Metro is popular and huge in marketshare

Don't worry, people have been saying that the desktop computer is doomed for well over 20 years now. The truth of the matter is that regardless of what some people think, things like Metro have a LONG LONG *LOOOOOOONG* way to go before they even pose a somewhat significant threat to the Desktop/Laptop markets.

They pretty much already have.

No?

Read the Building Windows 8 blog's comments to understand why people need a Start button so there's no need to explain it all over again.

I installed Windows 8 CP on my mothers laptop, told her once where to move the mouse to open the start menu, and there's been no problem ever since. It's not entirely necessary, but the visual clue might be nice for some.

I read a lot of complaining about the missing start button. Finally I got to install Windows 8 and I dont really miss it.

Just create shortcuts on the Metro Dashboard for apps you often use or simply type in the app name and the search brings it up instantly.

whats the big problem?

I don't need start button as much as i need Start Menu since Metro Screen provides nothing for me. Since i will uninstall everything on Metro Screen and i don't plan to pin anything there. Microsoft doesn't provide solution for such scenario and leaves lot of people hanging there.

I don't need start button as much as i need Start Menu since Metro Screen provides nothing for me. Since i will uninstall everything on Metro Screen and i don't plan to pin anything there. Microsoft doesn't provide solution for such scenario and leaves lot of people hanging there.

Geeks. Heh.

Or you could pin your commonly used desktop apps for quick access. Why click on the desktop tile only to click on something pinned on the superbar or placed on the desktop? Just group and pin the programs to the start screen. A group for office, a group for task specific programs, a group for commonly accessed directories, etc. It's almost like you're trying to make it as difficult as possible to use.