Dropbox doubles referral bonus to 500MB

Today, we?re really happy to announce that we?ve doubled the amount of free space you get for

inviting friends to Dropbox!

How much space is that, exactly? For every friend you invite that installs Dropbox, you?ll both get 500 MB of free space. If you?ve got a free account, you can invite up to 32 people for a whopping total of 16 GB of extra space. Pro accounts now earn 1 GB per referral, for a total of 32 GB of extra space. Have you already invited a bunch of people? Don?t worry. Within a few days, you?ll get full credit for every referral that?s already been completed. Boom!

Once upon a time, we noticed that Dropbox spread fastest via word of mouth. We?ve always believed that sharing is caring, so we rolled out this referral program to make recommending Dropbox an even sweeter deal. Back then, we gave out only 250 MB per invite. Then we doubled the space for students for inviting friends, and they liked it so much we decided to give it to everyone!

dropbox-referral-twice-500mb.png

I'm still using Box.com. 50GB without having to invite anyone or do anything special, it's great!

Wow, I still have the default 2GB of space. Did you all upgrade your account to get more space, or is that just from referrals?

You can get more by doing the tutorial, linking an educational email, referrals, the photo import from a while ago (already void), etc.

What do they mean by Pro account? probably a stupid question, but I got 50GB from tha tiPhone app promo froma while back, will I get the 1GB bump, or the 1/2GB bump?

time to start creating some fake email addresses :p

Haha yeah, I'll create some 5 min email accounts tomorrow lol

Haha yeah, I'll create some 5 min email accounts tomorrow lol

But how you resolve the install thing? With virtual boxes?

You don't have to, as long as they sign up I think is all that's required!

Nope, just tried with some extra mails I have and they only give you the extra space if the account installs the desktop sync app. I made a virtual box for that, but making the 16 I need to get all the extra space seems a lot of work for me.

Read the news on Dropbox blog yesterday and last night I was upgraded to 15GB from 10GB! Still lots of invites left.

You don't have to, as long as they sign up I think is all that's required!

Only signup won't give you the space, the person you are inviting must install dropbox on their computer and log in to complete the signup process.