Man high on mushrooms sentenced for 'stupidity'

LIVINGSTON, Mont. (AP) -- A 28-year-old Park County man who broke into a house while under the influence of mushrooms has been ordered to pay more than $10,000 in restitution and to spend the anniversary of the incident in jail each year for the next three years as a reminder of his "stupidity." :wacko:

District Judge Nels Swandal told Garrett Douglas Genescritti during Monday's sentencing that he was lucky he wasn't shot when he broke into a house in March 2011, took off his clothes, terrorized a family and crashed the family's pickup truck.

The Livingston Enterprise reports Genescritti pleaded guilty in January to felony burglary, criminal mischief and assault on a minor. He said he used mushrooms before the break-in.

Genescritti was given a five-year deferred sentence, must register as a violent offender and perform community service.

source

I once had someone come up to my door holding a book and start talking about how there was this guy who died and came back to life 2000 years ago and how I should get to know him. Needless to say, this punishment for disturbing me would've been quite welcome!

I once had someone come up to my door holding a book and start talking about how there was this guy who died and came back to life 2000 years ago and how I should get to know him.

Amazingly, 'He' returns in this 21st century, by 2075.

But not in the way Christians think.

Imagine that. ;)

I love creative punishments like this. I'd have given him a couple of days each year. One day seems more like a mere inconvenience.

I once had someone come up to my door holding a book and start talking about how there was this guy who died and came back to life 2000 years ago and how I should get to know him. Needless to say, this punishment for disturbing me would've been quite welcome!

If proselytizing was a crime I'd think every human would be guilty. Hey, you're doing it now!

LIVINGSTON, Mont. -- A 28-year-old Park County man who broke into a house while under the influence of mushrooms has been ordered to pay more than $10,000 in restitution and to spend the anniversary of the incident in jail each year for the next three years as a reminder of his "stupidity."

District Judge Nels Swandal told Garrett Douglas Genescritti during Monday's sentencing that he was lucky he wasn't shot when he broke into a house in March 2011, took off his clothes, terrorized a family and crashed the family's pickup truck.

The Livingston Enterprise reports Genescritti pleaded guilty in January to felony burglary, criminal mischief and assault on a minor. He said he used mushrooms before the break-in.

Genescritti was given a five-year deferred sentence, must register as a violent offender and perform community service.

Source

sounds more like he was sentenced for "felony burglary, criminal mischief and assault on a minor" and not stupidity. (but yes the act was stupid for sure)

can you actually sentence someone to repeated jailing?

I guess so. Isn't there such a thing as weekend detention and stuff like that?

can you actually sentence someone to repeated jailing?

Yes. Judges can get pretty creative with what's called "Alternative Sentencing." Sometimes it's cringe inducing and other times it's hilarious. There's a judge in a circuit court near here where people go to court just to see what he'll come up with next.

A judge once sentenced a kid who put his car deep into our front yard to helping plant a tree in front of our daughters bedroom (which he almost hit) and to cut our yard for a 3 months. If he missed a date - off to the pokey for. 30 days.

• 2 months later...