Detailed Review of Firefox for Metro

I know its very very early for it to be reviewed, but seems like the Fennec back end is already "quite" stable ...

First of all , how to download it and run it? Download it from Here , install it like any other application , and then set it as default browser for all tasks , thanks to Microsoft's policy for having only one metro browser at a time , the one which is default.

It looks very much like it does on Android tablets , and hence opens mobile versions of all sites. Further it doesn't recognize scrollwheel of your mouse , and a blinking cursor which you see everywhere when with a keyboard. To scroll (for time being) you have to click the page and push it down , just like as if u are using touch interface. Also , the tabs are on left (FOR TIME BEING ONLY) and don't hide , i am sure in few weeks we will see a metroish look soon...

post-293012-0-88925500-1333621788_thumb.

Sites load up fine , even youtube works (HTML5 video , crappy quality)

554005851.jpg?key=1440900

post-293012-0-07876800-1333621668_thumb.

post-293012-0-97429200-1333621700_thumb.

Some of the metro features are also supported , such as Share and search , however search doesn't really work , and 1/3rd and 2/3rd sizes crash the build (at least on my side) .

post-293012-0-94206600-1333621731_thumb.

554005896.png?key=1440900

Further , although its very early , but it Does support addons (very few for mobile version at the moment , adblock is there though , a reason why you would like to use it than IE10) and has its androidish preferences page too

post-293012-0-27085500-1333621711_thumb.

post-293012-0-67130800-1333621741_thumb.

So far it seems good , considering its like pre pre pre alpha version. Do remember this is fennec , which has electrolysis (firefox's sandboxing for Mobile version) in it , so its again a big plus! I guess by June when Windows 8 RC would be released , Mozilla can push this as a decent alternative to IE10 metro.

A quick mockup of Firefox for metro was posted (NOT FINAL , JUST TO HAVE AN IDEA) on wiki pages of mozilla , i guess with help of Firefox on Mobile it would be easy for them to make this a fine release.

6987284201_504f7622b5_b.jpg

It looks very much like it does on Android tablets , and hence opens mobile versions of all sites.
Really? So even if you're using it on a desktop, it only opens mobile versions of the websites? Is there no way to turn that off and have the pages load the full-version by default?

Well that's not good. Sounds like they've got quite a bit of work still to do.

Really? So even if you're using it on a desktop, it only opens mobile versions of the websites? Is there no way to turn that off and have the pages load the full-version by default?

As of now , no . But i am sure it would be fixed , the only motive of Firefox team for now was to implement a working prototype , rest UI and other implementation fixes would be done later , at least it is rendering fine , which was their goal.

They look like they just ported the Android Tablet version, no home button ?

Yes they have , Yes , there's no home button as of now.

They'd likely change that, and even if they didn't, you can force change your useragent so they don't.

They'd likely change that, and even if they didn't, you can force change your useragent so they don't.

That just reminded me of about:config , yes its there in this metro version

I still think the Metro Design Language is lost on Mozilla. :/

Yet again someone fails to understand that this a very early prototype. A "proof of concept" build to show where they're up to

with this thing. At the moment, yes, it IS a port of Firefox Mobile, and looks a lot like the version made for Android devices.

They'll put a Metro style UI on it when they get round to it. In the meantime, the backend gubbins comes first.

Yet again someone fails to understand that this a very early prototype. A "proof of concept" build to show where they're up to

with this thing. At the moment, yes, it IS a port of Firefox Mobile, and looks a lot like the version made for Android devices.

They'll put a Metro style UI on it when they get round to it. In the meantime, the backend gubbins comes first.

IMO the mockup of what they're aiming for is still too curvy. The glyphs even have gradients. :/

IMO the mockup of what they're aiming for is still too curvy. The glyphs even have gradients. :/

The mockup is to show how transitions take place. Not how the Final UI will look at all and is not what they are aiming for.

I am trying to get this to work, but I cant seem to get it. I have downloaded the latest Firefox beta, then set it as my default browser. I then downloaded fennec, installed it and set it as default. I go to my start screen and fennec either opens on my desktop, or flashes a command prompt screen. I'm unable to get the metro start up. Anyone have any ideas on where I went wrong?

I am trying to get this to work, but I cant seem to get it. I have downloaded the latest Firefox beta, then set it as my default browser. I then downloaded fennec, installed it and set it as default. I go to my start screen and fennec either opens on my desktop, or flashes a command prompt screen. I'm unable to get the metro start up. Anyone have any ideas on where I went wrong?

ya I had problems first, all you have to do it uninstall firefox and fennec. then install fennec as the default browser.

ya I had problems first, all you have to do it uninstall firefox and fennec. then install fennec as the default browser.

Sweet! Worked Great. Anyone else having problems getting the keyboard to show up? I keep clicking in the address bar and I can't get the keyboard to show up for anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone know where the Metro test versions of Firefox can now be downloaded from? The download links on

the page linked in the opening post can no longer be clicked as they are now greyed out and crossed out.

It's easy enough to grab the Metro test version of Chrome (from its own Dev channel) but not so for Firefox.

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I haven't had an update since the one in Mid-May. I don't even know if they have released another update.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are planning to include it as part of Firefox 15? I could be totally wrong about this. Hopefully someone will jump in with a lot more information than I have.

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I haven't had an update since the

one in Mid-May. I don't even know if they have released another update.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are planning to include it as part

of Firefox 15? I could be totally wrong about this. Hopefully someone will

jump in with a lot more information than I have.

According to this page, they're targeting Firefox 14 as the first release to be WIndows 8 Metro compatible.

• 1 month later...

DotMatrix: Not every app has to look and feel exactly like the Microsoft ones. Also, read what this guy (formerly of the Windows Phone design team) has to say about Metro design principles vs. Metro design language.