10 posts in this topic

Ferdinand Porsche, 911 sports car designer, dies

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP)

RIP (Y):(

A tragedy for automotive design. I've always had a soft spot for the design of the 911. His contributions to automotive design have been enormous. If Porsche continues along the path he set them on, his design will at least live on. :(

A tragedy for automotive design. I've always had a soft spot for the design of the 911. His contributions to automotive design have been enormous. If Porsche continues along the path he set them on, his design will at least live on. :(

Indeed, I like the subtle updates that keep the 911 fresh = A good thing

He was a great designer and definitely an innovator in the sports car world, but I always hated how Porsches all have looked generally the same since forever. Very similar to the tactics of BMW.

Those cars quickly became boring and kind of took the excitement of caring what new models would be like every year.

I'd give Porsche more credit as an engine designer rather than a cosmetic designer; no offence to Ferdinand.

Indeed, I like the subtle updates that keep the 911 fresh = A good thing

I've always liked that personally. The company has always had a real direction, but as we've seen it's a direction they choose to pursue, rather than having to. When they want they can come out with some really unique designs, such as the 924, the 928, and suchlike. It's a company I like a lot, although I do think Porsche lost some of their charm in the 997 phase of cars. They didn't look the same. I suppose that's a problem though when you think something isn't right because the design isn't the same. I can see where you're coming from, taking that into consideration. ;)

They did do a pretty good job at least keeping the design "modern" over the years.

I'm glad they got away from the Volkswagen Beetle look:

porsche-911-turbo-look-1979.jpg

The GT2 and GT3 do look damn nice though, I'll give it that. I think the added spoiler brings the design together really well.

They did do a pretty good job at least keeping the design "modern" over the years.

I'm glad they got away from the Volkswagen Beetle look:

The GT2 and GT3 do look damn nice though, I'll give it that. I think the added spoiler brings the design together really well.

Well, any illusions I ever had taste have now been shattered. The Volkswagen Beetle look, as you put it, happens to be my favorite generation of the 911. :p

I haven't seen many GT2s or GT3s, unfortunately. I suppose that comes from the fact they're the more hardcore models for enthusiasts. Most of the 911s I see are the softer models, like the 4S. At least... I think that might be the softer model. The Porsche model line up is way too difficult to comprehend, and if Top Gear does do a tribute episode I get the feeling that the model line up will be mentioned during it. Dare I say it, for good reason, too. The spoilers on the newer models definitely do give the car a much more aggressive stance, which works in its favor.

Oh Noes!! Hurry Someone call 911.... Oh wait!

Maybe they can hire a new designer now.

1 person likes this