Photo

Possible to pin Steam Games to Startscreen?

win8 windows 8 steam startscreen pin pinning beta consumer preview

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 OP McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3

Posted 05 April 2012 - 21:39

yh i didnt realize that its windows 8 u talking about until the other guy replied. but try pasting shortcut into start menu folder.

Where is that folder?

#17 OP McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 21:40

the hot corner in the bottom left for the most part still works in the same way as the start orb, so yes it does

It doesn't work the same way, you can't drag things onto it.

#18 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 05 April 2012 - 21:44

It doesn't work the same way, you can't drag things onto it.

that's why I said "for the most part", and I wasn't aware that you couldn't drag things onto it as I hadn't tried doing that yet

Where is that folder?

that won't give the result you want, he's just talking about the standard start menu folder that all apps place their shortcuts that appear in the "All Programs" section of the start menu/screen

#19 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:22

Place any shortcuts for games in here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games
Steam URL, game explorer and standard file shortcuts all come through to the start screen and function correctly.

#20 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:37

from the start screen, type the game name, when it comes up in search right click on it and the pin to start icon appears at the bottom of the screen ( at least it did with Trackmania)

#21 OP McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 15:45

from the start screen, type the game name, when it comes up in search right click on it and the pin to start icon appears at the bottom of the screen ( at least it did with Trackmania)

I tried this but it didn't work for games like Counter-Strike Source.

#22 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 06 April 2012 - 18:44

Goto: %PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Then simply copy the shortcut to the game you want there. In order to pin the game to your Start screen simply open the All Programs menu (right-click) and it should be on the left hand side of the screen, rather than in a folder. Then just right click it and pin to Start.

It's certainly far from simple and I do hope that Microsoft addresses this, as Steam doesn't create system shortcuts for all games (in fact, it doesn't for most games).

#23 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

Posted 06 April 2012 - 20:03

Every single game should have an EXE in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<your username> from there you can of course make shortcuts and copy them to the startmenu folder. They'll now appear in the list of all apps where you can choose to pin them.

#24 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 06 April 2012 - 20:34

I tried this but it didn't work for games like Counter-Strike Source.

I just downloaded Counter-Strike Source, and did as I said and it works fine for me.

#25 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 06 April 2012 - 20:40

Why don't you pin games into steam jump list? (accessible by a right click on steam icon once it's opened in the Desktop).

#26 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:10

When installed Win 8 over my Win 7 installation, steam did not show up in my start menu and as such I could not pin steam games to start. I refreshed my system, reinstalled steam, and steam and all my games appeared in the start menu, I could just right click and hit "pin to start".

TLDR: reinstall steam and it will fix your problem.

Attached Images

• steam.jpg

#27 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 10 April 2012 - 13:32

I created shortcuts on the desktop, then copied them to the Steam start menu folder located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Steam

They then show up on All Apps and can be pinned. There used to be an option in the client to create start menu shortcuts but they removed it and left the desktop option.

#28 OP McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 18:05

When installed Win 8 over my Win 7 installation, steam did not show up in my start menu and as such I could not pin steam games to start. I refreshed my system, reinstalled steam, and steam and all my games appeared in the start menu, I could just right click and hit "pin to start".

TLDR: reinstall steam and it will fix your problem.

Does Re-installing Steam make me lose all my games?

#29 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 10 April 2012 - 18:09

There used to be an option in the client to create start menu shortcuts but they removed it and left the desktop option.

it all depends on the game for whatever reason

some games give the option to create a start menu shortcut while others don't

#30 Jm Johnson

Jm Johnson

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 06 June 2012 - 14:19

Place any shortcuts for games in here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games Steam URL, game explorer and standard file shortcuts all come through to the start screen and function correctly.

I created shortcuts on the desktop, then copied them to the Steam start menu folder located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Steam They then show up on All Apps and can be pinned. There used to be an option in the client to create start menu shortcuts but they removed it and left the desktop option.

If you want the games to launch through steam a mixture of these answers works. Dropping them in the folder Aergan suggests allows you to pin like GreyWolf mentioned even if you have Steam installation that forgot its on windows 8 and lost the Steam folder.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!