8 posts in this topic

Source 1, Source 2

I am using title from source 2(less flamebait title) but content is from source 1 (nice summary). I haven't seen this covered on main page or forums, if it is - Mods please merge topics.

For Mac owners, the nightmare scenario finally arrived. A piece of malware called Flashback, which has been in existence and steadily evolving for at least seven months, has infected more than 600,000 Macs worldwide, based on forensic analysis by a Russian antivirus company.

What makes this outbreak especially chilling is that the owners of infected Macs didn

Who honestly didn't see something like this coming.

Apple really need to keep their software up-to-date.

1 person likes this

but but but... mac dont have virus and is the most secured OS \s

people dont realize that no OS is totally secure

I'm not suggesting you're wrong, but both your sources come from the same website.

I agree with this. However the safest OS's are the ones where users can get all their applications from a managed repository/app store like iOS, Android (with sideloading disabled by default), or GNU/Linux etc. I've never seen or heard of an actively spreading virus or piece of malware on Linux. It's possible but unlikely. There are so many configurations/distros out there that mass infections on this scale are near impossible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue here is that Apple took ages to patch a known security hole. If so, it makes it even worse than the others OS imo :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue here is that Apple took ages to patch a known security hole. If so, it makes it even worse than the others OS imo :p

I wont say its a worse OS but worse in terms of security and fixing security issues

Apple has enjoyed long years of freedom from virus issues due to its little presence in the market but that has changed..

On the other hand MS improved Windows 8 in terms of security and even included MSE by default..

I would love to run 8 on mac with parallel desktop.

Checked my systems. None of them are infected (probably because we don't visit questionable websites).

I wouldn't even have Java installed if it weren't for Creative Suite (ugh, Adobe). :hmmm: Apple definitely needs to release patches to third-party software that they manage more quickly though.