60 replies to this topic

#16 +BoneyardBrew

BoneyardBrew

Photoshop Junkie

• 2,026 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 07 April 2012 - 22:55

I have one of these and it's fantastic.

Don't have to worry about it running out and it's far more powerful than an ordinary can of compressed air. (Y)

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,399 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 April 2012 - 23:14

moving air generates static. doesn't matter if you blow like canned air or suck with a vacuum. with that said, i think the dangers of generating static, in normal conditions, that would damage your hardware is greatly exaggerated.

Except blowing air keeps your staticy equipment away from sensitive electronics as you don't push it all the way into whatever you're cleaning. Vacuums you put the plastic nozzle right into the case much to close for comfort of even touching

#18 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,699 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:45

50$ and it seems a bit to powerful. Wish it could give the same PSI as canned air then it would be sweet.

#19 +Kondrath

Kondrath

Neowinian Senior

• 1,940 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:49

Will pick one up when I have some spare cash. But until then, I'll use my electric air mattress pump.

#20 TEX4S

TEX4S

Neowinian Senior

• 6,857 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:56

Thanks for the review warwagon - I used to walk by those 100 times @ Fry's and thought they would suck so I kept walking.

There is no freaking way Im gonna stick a hose from my Dyson inside my computer - I want it clean, not have the paint sucked off of it..

#21 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

• 2,737 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:08

Exactly, plus in most cases it produces static electricity in the process which isn't good for circuit boards!

A cousin of mine insisted on vacuuming out his case....and not only did he end up frying his motherboard and processor, he unplugged about 90 percent of the wires leading to the power/reset switches on the outside of his case...he tried to get 'em plugged back in, but long story short: West Texas is a VERY dusty and static electricity prone place...you have to take care of electronics with a special touch....and when I was in electronics class, the ground strap became my friend.....and to this day, I HAVE to use one....so I'm with warwagon here on this one....use a ground strap even if you don't think you need it......static electricity can be very destructive. All it takes is being burned once.

#22 Dibbler

Dibbler

Neowinian

• 99 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:22

I have used a vacuum cleaner for years when it comes to cleaning the inside pf PC's.
The hose on our vac is around 2 metres long and I can vary the amount of auction appplied. I am amazed at how good a job that it does.
Under the above conditions how can there be a danger of static electricity being formed over that of using the device noted...? Especially considering that the actual cleaner is around 2 metres away from the PC, compared to that device which is right up close and, I assume, a mains controled motor within close proximity to the computer..?

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,399 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:33

The static electricity is generate in the hose and specifically the plastic nozzle of the vacuum, the long hose actually makes it worse as there much more surface and distance to generate static electricity on. And as I said before, the vacuum nozzle you put inside the case, close or even on the components, the compressed air nozzle, canned or from a generator thing, you hold outside it and the pressure is more than high enough to blow it clean from well outside the case, also helps you cover a bigger area and blow the dust away.

#24 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

• 2,433 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:13

you can vaccum the computer but it will just been clean from the outside. Inside there will still be dust. Nothing beats a 250l air compressor :D. My computer is like virtually new. Not a single dust spec isnide my power supply or any other closed space.

#25 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,716 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:37

http://www.amazon.co...V/dp/B003BZCOKK

Ouch :/

I'd rather just buy the compressed air at that price.

#26 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:50

Huh? You can use a ordinary house vaccum cleaner to clean out the computer. I've done it so many times I lost count and my PC is still going strong. I never have any device fail on me after being vaccummed. And I never have wasted any money on useless thing as canned air.

Terrible idea.
Normal house vacuums create massive amounts of static electricity. That's bad.

#27 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,516 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:54

For $50 you can just buy an air compressor that'll do more than just clean a pc.

#28 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 7,925 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:00

For $50 you can just buy an air compressor that'll do more than just clean a pc.

Yep,
My little portable air compressor does a perfect job of that. Has EASILY paid for itself just from NOT having to buy canned air.

There's no way in the world I'm sticking an electrically powered household vacuumn cleaner in my computers! I do have a vacuumn cleaner that runs on batteries, but it's not really very powerful. It does an all right job of cleaning up the loose stuff I blew out with the compressor though.

#29 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

• 31,911 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 13:36

How often are you guys cleaning your pcs?

#30 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,947 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 14:22

Well mine has filters on the case, and is a PAIN IN THE ASS to disconnect. Though I did blow out my server it was running REALLY loud while doing CPU intensive stuff. Now it's quiet as a whisper :)