Google+ Grows 27% in March, Logs 61 Million Visits

I'm not out to score points for any social network fanboys.

merely wondering how many active accounts they have.

if thats the case then my bad... the article says there are 60 million active users out of the 100 million users

Indeed. The other interesting thing is that Pinterest (I site I'd never even heard of) is the third most popular social network. Despite all the advertising and money that Google have thrown into G+ it's been quickly bested by a site that came from nowhere.

Pinterest started in 2008. So it's not coming from nowhere and it's not social network per-se.. it's a photo gallery pinboard.

how is 27% increase in a month stagnant? What are you even talking about?

You do understand that Google+ started less than 10 months publicly and already has over 100 million users. There was NEVER ever a service and a social platform that grew insanely like this.

Another year and it will be easily over 200 million people and will easily trounce any other social network but Facebook and eventually they will overtake Facebook, there is absolutely no doubt about that. The growth is spectacular and unseen so far and it will only multiply as more people use Android.

Conveniently ignoring the three earlier months I guess.

And of course others haven't grown that fast, Facebook had a very limited rollout, before they finally relented to the pressure and opened to everyone. They also did not have the luxury of a massive smart one userbase to leech dead empty user accounts from.

Also before google takes over FB, FB needs to not only stop growing, but google needs to start haing some actual user retention and real activity of the few users they do retain.

If everybody on this thread was on Google+, I would add most of you to my Butt Hurt Circle. Just an an observation. Carry on.

• Like 2

If everybody on this thread was on Google+, I would add most of you to my Butt Hurt Circle. Just an an observation. Carry on.

Couldnt agree more.

Pinterest started in 2008. So it's not coming from nowhere and it's not social network per-se.. it's a photo gallery pinboard.

According to Wikipedia:

Development of Pinterest began in December 2009, and the site launched as a closed beta in March 2010. The site proceeded to operate in invitation-only open beta.

Co-founder Ben Silbermann said he personally wrote to the site's first 5,000 users offering his personal phone number and even meeting with some of its users. Nine months after launch the website had 10,000 users. Silbermann and a few programmers operated the site out of a small apartment until the summer of 2011.[6]

So it looks like it's been open to the public for about the same amount of time as G+ ;)

oh really?? I see a recurring theme in you post where you go to topics which has anything to do with google and troll..

You are no different.

I've haven't noticed that and I've never seen HawkMan accuse anyone of being a fanboy. You should be careful before throwing around accusations.

According to Wikipedia:

So it looks like it's been open to the public for about the same amount of time as G+ ;)

It's irrelevant. Pinterest is not a social network. It's a pinboard for photos that uses social networks to register. They are not even on the same level. It's much easier to attract users by having basically a bookmarking site.

It's irrelevant. Pinterest is not a social network. It's a pinboard for photos that uses social networks to register. They are not even on the same level. It's much easier to attract users by having basically a bookmarking site.

So first it was from 2008 hence all the users. Now it's irrelevant and not on the same level as G+ hence its super easy to get users.

Come on Boz lol.

Once again, Wikipedia disagrees with you:

Pinterest is a pinboard-style social photo sharing website

If you take a look at my original post you'll see that Hitwise disagrees as well.

So first it was from 2008 hence all the users.

No that's not what I said. You are making assumptions.

I just merely answered a comment about how Pinterest came in over night. It didn't.

Pinterest is a pinboard-style social photo sharing website

Yes.. social photo sharing website, not social network like twitter, facebook or google+

If you wanted to make comparison it would probably be a better fit to compare Pinterest to Flickr or Picasa (which is only a part of Google+), not Google+ itself

And I don't see the point of this discussion really. you get stuck on Pinterest. Who gives a crap about Pinterest.. that thing will quickly die out as quickly as it got popular. That startup doesn't even have proper revenue model. How long it will last is unknown but it's not going to be long term. Nothing is.

Yes.. social photo sharing website, not social network like twitter, facebook or google+

If you'd clicked on the social link you'd have found that it takes you to Wikipedia's page on social networking services. Whether you want to admit it or not, the rest of the world considers Pinterest to be a social network. Oh by the way, here's another site that considers Pinterest to be a social network:

https://www.neowin.net/news/pinterest-now-third-biggest-social-network-after-facebook-and-twitter

Who gives a crap about Pinterest.

Apparently a lot more people than are interested in G+ ;)

I like the idea of Pinterest, it may not be new but its really simple. I think its great if people just want to share pictures with the world. I dont see why that is not a social network to some people. It doesnt have where a person lives, does for a living, favorites, ect.. like facebook and Google+ but why would it need that when people are just posting images.

The problem with Google + is that you have to activaly opt out, use a google service you have a Google plus account created, unlike a Facebook account where you have to actually create one, Google are using imoral means to boost its numbers.

I like the idea of Pinterest, it may not be new but its really simple. I think its great if people just want to share pictures with the world. I dont see why that is not a social network to some people. It doesnt have where a person lives, does for a living, favorites, ect.. like facebook and Google+ but why would it need that when people are just posting images.

Yeah Pinterest is really cool, use it alot

G+ is roughly equivalent to msn.com

msn.com was highly visited website because it was IE's default homepage. G+ is doing well because Google is similarly forcing it down if you use any of the Google services.

No one I know actively uses it but some bloggers I follow seem to use it regularly. I guess it will take some more time.

I am not really sure what's the point of Google+, it's roughly a Friendfeed clone and even "Circles" existed on Facebook (called there as "Lists") before G+. Hangout is probably the only unique feature.

First off, let's get the numbers into proportion. 61 million visits vs 100 million users is pretty bad. At BEST that's 61 million active users, and assuming that all active users make 10 page visits a month, that's more realistically ~6.1 million active users. In all honesty it's a bit of a shame though, since I do find Google+ to be more usable than Facebook which appears to be getting a bit bloated and annoying.

I closed my Google+ account recently. Not because it's bad, but because it's unnecessary. I already have Facebook, Twitter and Diaspora accounts, and Google+ (for me) does nothing that one of those services doesn't already serve.

Out of curiosity, what do Google+ users use G+ for? Is there a big market for it in the US or elsewhere?

As you get bundled Google+ with anything Google nowadays it would be safe to assume that most people activating an Android phone take much away from these statistics when they set up their phone.

Larry Page then talks about the Android mobile OS, saying that 850,000 Android devices are now being activated each day.

That's about 26 million a month.