Photo

Windows 8 has no startup sound?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 June 2012 - 16:08

Right, because on today's hardware a quick jingle is likely to have a severe impact on startup performance. Gimme a break.

Every little bit counts. ;) And it is frankly unnecessary.

#47 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 25 June 2012 - 16:12

Every little bit counts. ;) And it is frankly unnecessary.

You should have quick jingle in (U)EFI Mac-style meaning your hardware is "OK", like some other manufacturers already do. After that it isn't really required for a second one from Windows. ;)

#48 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 25 June 2012 - 16:25

Right, because on today's hardware a quick jingle is likely to have a severe impact on startup performance. Gimme a break.

Nobody suggested the performance impact was "severe". But a startup jingle is unnecessary and impacts system performance, as the operating system has to initialise a hardware subsystem. There are other issues as well, like the speakers being too loud or booting up your computer in a quiet environment. And I don't know about anyone else but I find hearing the XP startup sound cringe-worthy.

It would be nice if there was an option for those that want it, though it should be disabled by default.

#49 Pharos

Pharos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 June 2012 - 16:25

Just one question.... How come a little kb audio file impacts that dramatically the performance?

I think it has to do with initializing the audio driver... It probably takes 3 seconds at most, but they probably chose to initialize it after the system boots up..

Sooo, shaving off 3 seconds of boot time is actually very considerable.

#50 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 25 June 2012 - 17:03

Nobody suggested the performance impact was "severe". But a startup jingle is unnecessary and impacts system performance, as the operating system has to initialise a hardware subsystem.

You have proof it impacts system performance in a truly noticeable way?

#51 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 25 June 2012 - 17:08

The sounds on my systems (from past to now) has been turned off as soon as I got it as new.

#52 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 25 June 2012 - 17:27

This is unAmerican

#53 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 July 2012 - 00:22

I think it has to do with initializing the audio driver... It probably takes 3 seconds at most, but they probably chose to initialize it after the system boots up..

Sooo, shaving off 3 seconds of boot time is actually very considerable.

Hmmm, makes sense. I haven't missed it a tiny bit, but it will be the first Windows OS (AFAIK) not to have a sound which identifies it (apart from 7 and Vista)

#54 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 July 2012 - 00:28

Dude, it slows down my machine by .32843792837249384 of a second. :laugh:

#55 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 05 July 2012 - 00:31

I usually turn off the welcome sound on my machine, and it actually leads to barely unnoticeably faster boot to the desktop from the logon screen. I also have the shutdown noise disabled for the same reason.

#56 Shawn M Clarady

Shawn M Clarady

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:15

HI people, I'm curious about something. I haven't heard Windows 8's startup sound... Is it me or does it actually don't have?

:/

In Control Panel click on sounds. When that box comes up go to the sounds tab. Here you see a box (play sound at start up) Place a check in the box.

#57 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 July 2012 - 22:15

I'd rather it didn't. Ever turn on a laptop during a meeting or during class? Embarrassing.

Definitely among the top 5 worst things about the MacBook.

#58 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 15 July 2012 - 23:46

The startup sound is barely audible and is simply a "click", like the iPhone. The Windows 7 startup sound doesn't exist in Windows 8.

#59 evo_spook

evo_spook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 July 2012 - 23:52

No biggie. Are startup sounds even *that* important? Sure it's nice to have a little jingle to tell you your computer is up, but most of the time, I have them disabled because of having my laptops at school. My desktop rarely gets shut down to even play the sounds.

Well didn't different sounds play for different start up errors, so they was useful in that regard

#60 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:55

Yeah, so no sound means no problem.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!