17 posts in this topic

Posted

Jack Tramiel, founder of Commodore International and crucial figure in the early history of personal computing, passed away surrounded by his family on Sunday, his family confirms. He was 83 years old.

Tramiel was born in Poland to a Jewish family in 1928. During World War II, he and his family were sent to Auschwitz, after which he and his father were sent to a labor camp called Ahlem, near Hannover. Tramiel was rescued in April 1945 and emigrated to the United States in 1947. In 1984, after being forced to leave the company he founded, Jack bought the crumbling Atari Inc.

Posted

Strangely his death has moved me more than any other in recent memory. He was a computing cornerstone.

2 people like this

Posted

Atari rocked !

Farewell Jack ...

Posted

Atari was before my time so "meh".

Now, if the creator of the original NES died... then we have a problem.

Posted

Without the likes of Tramiel, you wouldn't HAVE a computer in your home, let alone video games.

2 people like this

Posted

Wow... Really? So something was before your time and you stop caring? Maybe kids do need spoon-feeding their history these days.

3 people like this

Posted

You realize Commodore 64 preceded NES by over a year and laid the groundwork for computer gaming? It is, without a doubt, alongside Amiga and Atari ST the biggest reason you are playing games on your PC today - without people like Tramiel none of that would have happened or if it had, it would've happened at a much slower and different pace, most likely much worse.

The guy alongside other "legends" of his time were the people responsible, the catalysts if you will, for what we have today.

Posted

Taken from Gizmodo

The Anti-Steve Jobs Dies: So Long, Jack Tramiel

Jack Tramiel, the antithesis of Steve Jobs, has died. Tramiel was the founder of Commodore. Unlike Jobs, Tramiel believed that computers should be utilitarian and cheap, disregarding elegant design or attention to detail

Posted

The other similarity is that he was a shrewd/mean business person

Posted

Threads Merged

Posted

Without the likes of Tramiel, you wouldn't HAVE a computer in your home, let alone video games.

Let's not forget a fellow named Thomas Alva Edison -- you wouldn't have your electricity, lights, MP3s, let alone the computers !

You youngan whippersnappers ...

Posted

Taken from Gizmodo

'The Anti-Steve Jobs Dies: So Long, Jack Tramiel

Jack Tramiel, the antithesis of Steve Jobs, has died. Tramiel was the founder of Commodore. Unlike Jobs, Tramiel believed that computers should be utilitarian and cheap, disregarding elegant design or attention to detail

Posted

Its always so interesting to read about the guys who were in the trenches when all of this really began.

Then to hear what this guy went through in life, and everything he accomplished. Then to read he died and old man surrounded by his family - Well done, sir. Well done.

Posted

R.I.P. to one of the giants.

Posted

Let's not forget a fellow named Thomas Alva Edison -- you wouldn't have your electricity, lights, MP3s, let alone the computers !

You youngan whippersnappers ...

i would have to say everything electronic i think runs off Tesla's inventions, not edison. as edison has Direct current, Tesla had Alternating

Posted

The fanboyism is strong in this one. & it's even sadder, cuz, well, no one says, "Boo Commodore, Go Apple!" anymore, but they just HAD to do it...

i think they are still mad over the iPhone 4 thing, lol

Posted

The other similarity is that he was a shrewd/mean business person

how??