The Walking Dead (Season 3)

As purveyor of the most-watched basic cable drama series of all time, The Walking Dead's show runner Glen Mazzara gets asked a lot of questions about the show. Sure, he could answer them one by one, but he's got Season 3 to write! So AMCtv.com is pleased to present his responses to some of your most frequently asked questions.

When will Season 3 premiere?

October 2012.

Will there be another midseason break, like Season 2?

This has not been determined yet.

When will Season 2 be out on DVD?

No release date has been announced yet.

How do I become a zombie?

Zombie extras are professional actors hired through casting companies.

Will we see Morgan or Duane again?

We don't comment on future storylines.

Will we see Merle again?

Again, we don't comment on future storylines

Will you deviate from the comics for Michonne, the Governor, the Prison, etc?

Yes, we have our own story to tell

If we are all infected, how did the people on the highway die in their cars?

Robert Kirkman answered this in Issue 95 of the comic. Robert says, "Any non zombie corpses you saw on the highway either suffered severe brain trauma in a car crash that resulted in that pileup, or had another brain damaging event that killed them. They could have even been zombies in the car for awhile -- until someone came along and killed them. We were well aware of the coming reveal when we wrote those scenes early in the season (Season 2)."

Do zombies poop?

No, they don't, they only have a brain telling them to eat.

Hey, Glen, why don't you answer my questions on Twitter?

Glen receives many, many tweets a day and is doing the best he can.

Will we see winter in the show?

Again, we don't comment on future storylines.

Any plans to do a flashback and show how the Zombie Apocalypse started?

No plans.

Any plans to do more webisodes?

Yes, but we don't have a release date for them yet.

I am going through The Walking Dead withdrawal, what do I do until October?

Hang in there, Season 3 is worth the wait!

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2012/03/glen-mazzara-faqs.php

That was a wasted Q&A. No comment, no comment, no comment, something happened to their brains obviously, no comment, no comment...

• Like 2

That was a wasted Q&A. No comment, no comment, no comment, something happened to their brains obviously, no comment, no comment...

yeah suppose he can't reveal much

I still don't understand why they devate so much from the comic. They've already shown they can't write any thing better. This show is such a missed opportunity imo.

I have a question, that I know they can't comment on, but it is worth thinking about.

Remember in LOST, why Walt left for so long? The actor had a growth spurt. Well, isn't the actor who plays Carl around that same age? What are they going to do if all of the sudden, off season, he starts "growing like a weed"? Are they going to kill him off?

The writers for LOST made this big deal out of Walt being special and then they couldn't use Walt, we know that changed the story for that character and who knows what might have been there. Are the writers for TWD even considering that possibility?

I have a question, that I know they can't comment on, but it is worth thinking about.

Remember in LOST, why Walt left for so long? The actor had a growth spurt. Well, isn't the actor who plays Carl around that same age? What are they going to do if all of the sudden, off season, he starts "growing like a weed"? Are they going to kill him off?

The writers for LOST made this big deal out of Walt being special and then they couldn't use Walt, we know that changed the story for that character and who knows what might have been there. Are the writers for TWD even considering that possibility?

If only...

yea, carl is quite annoying, though I have a feeling it's on purpose. To be that inquisitive, rebel kid, who has no real parent guidance/control.

My only question now is, who's going to the fix the radiator hose?

We don't comment on future storylines.

• Like 4

My only question now is, who's going to the fix the radiator hose?

Have you even watched the show?

Pretty sure Dale showed Glenn how to maintain the RV.

• Like 1

It was Warwagon making a "joke". As always, he failed miserably.

I still don't understand why they devate so much from the comic. They've already shown they can't write any thing better. This show is such a missed opportunity imo.

Absolutely.

I just went on basically a marathon reading spree, read all 95 issues of the comic in about 6 weeks, and I have to say I really am not sure why they just did not stick to the comic for the story. I guess the only sensible reason I can come up with is perhaps it would have been to dark from TV. But hell I think that is why it would have been so damn good, and why the comic is so good.

So really not happy to see his response to the one question about having their own story to tell. The story has already been told, you have already teased one of the major players from the comic, so stick to it as much as possible.

And it is funny to me, I too hate Carl from the TV show, like cannot stand him, and this is just one example of how they are failing pretty miserably with the source material, as Carl is pretty damn awesome in the comic.

Regardless, I still do enjoy the show, it is definitely one of the better dramatic shows on TV these days, but they really are missing out on what could be a good show to absolutely brilliant. Oh well, they still have some time to turn it around.

I've often wondered they change things from the source material. The only thing I can think of is that they want to keep fans guessing and if they went strictly based on the comics, then eventually the show would get boring for those who've read the comics.

I know, I just make a joke about it because they really focused on the radiator hose!

They used cheap tactics to build drama and the easiest way to do that is to show one of the characters doing something stupid which only leads to us hating them and they then seem surprised we can't stand most of the characters. It's one of my biggest gripes with TV drama. :|

I've often wondered they change things from the source material. The only thing I can think of is that they want to keep fans guessing and if they went strictly based on the comics, then eventually the show would get boring for those who've read the comics.

That's a point, but if they wanted to do something wholy new, so as not to bore fans of the comic, they chould have created a seperate set of characters & a story that takes place in parrlell with the stories of the characters from the comics.

That could have actually been pretty cool.

That's a point, but if they wanted to do something wholy new, so as not to bore fans of the comic, they chould have created a seperate set of characters & a story that takes place in parrlell with the stories of the characters from the comics.

That could have actually been pretty cool.

Maybe, and I won't argue that it could work, but for the fans of the comic books, you may not be as emotionally invested. And of course, that goes both ways; for fans of the show, picking up the comic book and finding totally different characters may be off-putting.

• 1 month later...

T-Dog had more lines in that promo than he did in all of season 2. :p

Also, I was thinking, "They're filming season 3 already?" Then I realized it premiers in 5 months!