Android Outselling the iPhone 10-to-1 in China

And many companies that complain about writing for Android, still do. The point is people will bitch and moan about anything they want, but as long as they can make some money and turn a profit, they will do what is needed.

And the article from PCW has old info in it. Google had limited the DL size to 20-30mb, but now it is 4gb.

Agreed on all cases, Is good they uped it, with the graphics phones and tablets are pushing now 20-30mb is crap

It is marginally more work and mainly in how you setup activities and views in layouts. This is really not a big deal. You use DPs (density independent pixels) and SPs for text instead of points and you use relative, linear, frame or table layouts with weight adjustments to have them scale nicely.

Google's/Android ADT 17 and now 18 have a great Designer view now that allows convenient design of UI and elements.

That marginally more work translates into hundreds of millions of customers you are exposed to and shows how fast and insanely high user engagement can be on Android if you build a good app. Nothing else compares.

And btw, you don't need to test it on the list of devices. Android SDK works now by grouping all devices into low/medium and high density displays and when you build your app it just works great on any device.

One click and I compile an app that runs beautifully on plethora of devices (and I have quite a few)

I think you forgot to answer the other 90% of my posts you ignored

Over Half of the devices are 2 OS versions behind with more people running Android 2.2 Froyo then any other version combined

Actually, most people are running GB and then seconded by Froyo. But for a lot of people, they do not care what version of the Android OS they are on (or even know) as long as their apps work. My mom, 4 sisters, and a ton of my friends have older Androids with the older OS and they dont even care. Devs care more than the end user.

Graph is from 1/2012

post-91978-0-08026300-1334081791.png

Agreed on all cases, Is good they uped it, with the graphics phones and tablets are pushing now 20-30mb is crap

I hated having to DL from the devs server or some crappy server. Some of the DLs for the extra data took FOREVER to download. Glad Google made this change.

Actually, most people are running GB and then seconded by Froyo. But for a lot of people, they do not care what version of the Android OS they are on (or even know) as long as their apps work. My mom, 4 sisters, and a ton of my friends have older Androids with the older OS and they dont even care. Devs care more than the end user.

Graph is from 1/2012

I went to http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html also and where I got my 2 versions behind comment, as I was counting ICS>Honeycomb>GB, 2 versions behind

But I agree on your most don't care ( crept co workers do, that's all we talk about, I was asking friend weekly basis if he got ICS on his Asus Transformer as I wanted to play with it and see what it was like

in other hot news, reports are coming in that WORLD WIDE automakers are outselling the Honda brand 100-1! thats right ALL of the other automakers combined are outselling Honda. What does this mean for the market Tom? It means that the automarket is gaining so much traction against its rival Honda. /s

Why does everyone always compare ANDROID vs IOS sales? 1 company vs 100's of companies. Stupidity is the simplest way to put it.

I went to http://developer.and...m-versions.html also and where I got my 2 versions behind comment, as I was counting ICS>Honeycomb>GB, 2 versions behind

I agree on the 2 versions behind comment...but Gingerbread is the dominant OS ATM. And Honeycomb was only for the Tablet so that never really made a huge dent.

And I have ICS on my transformer. Works very well and much better than HC.

• Like 1

in other hot news, reports are coming in that WORLD WIDE automakers are outselling the Honda brand 100-1! thats right ALL of the other automakers combined are outselling Honda. What does this mean for the market Tom? It means that the automarket is gaining so much traction against its rival Honda. /s

Why does everyone always compare ANDROID vs IOS sales? 1 company vs 100's of companies. Stupidity is the simplest way to put it.

haha +1 :laugh:

Because if they compared the iPhone to the HTC EVO or any other individual phone they wouldn't have much leg to stand on, so they do Phone OS's which is same number on apples side, but gives them bigger leg on other side.

It's just how they have to schew the results to prove their " I'm better then you and have better stuff " mentality

Not really an accurate statement. Samsung alone sells more phones than Apple does. More accurate statement would be to say devices instead of company.

I would be more interested to see the break down between whats considered cheap/low end android phones as compared to expensive/high end android phones.

It's just how they have to schew the results to prove their " I'm better then you and have better stuff " mentality

Not really skewing results at all. There have been info released about Apple vs Android and articles writing/proven that Apple still has the highest single device sales. So there have been device comparisons as well. This is just an OS comparison.

And who is "they"?

who cares if there are ton of Android phones or if its cheap?? Its selling better than iphone thats all i need.

Because there are Android-based phones ranging from very low prices all the way up to the iPhone price range.

That is the only reason they sell in higher numbers.

And whose fault is that? People want bigger screens and that has been proven. People want different looks/styles and the option to have a physical KB and not full touch. Apple locked themselves in to one design/model and the look/feel of the phone has not changed much since the original. iOS is getting boring/stale IMO.

People argue that Android is fragmented badly, but it hasnt stopped their growth and it is no big deal...like I have been saying all along.

Ummm... who cares? I was just stating the simple facts and nothing that you mentioned is relevant to any of it.

It's like saying that the Ford F-150 is outselling the Tesla Roadster by whatever magnitude.

First of all, it doesn't mean anything. And second of all, who cares? It's a useless statistic that doesn't prove anything.

• Like 1

Because there are Android-based phones ranging from very low prices all the way up to the iPhone price range.

Thats just a guess really. Unless you break down the low end/high end android sales, then there is no way to tell if the cheap phones are selling more.

Ummm... who cares? I was just stating the simple facts and nothing that you mentioned is relevant to any of it.

It's like saying that the Ford F-150 is outselling the Tesla Roadster by whatever magnitude.

First of all, it doesn't mean anything. And second of all, who cares? It's a useless statistic that doesn't prove anything.

+1 (and im agreeing with a manc...)

Thats just a guess really. Unless you break down the low end/high end android sales, then there is no way to tell if the cheap phones are selling more.

wouldn't logic tell you that? what's gonna sell more? a 300 phone with a 3 year contract or a free phone on a 1 or 2 year contract?

and

1. Different form factors and designs

2. With keyboards or without, with buttons or without

3. Customizable as hell. Every soul can make their Android phone their own

4. Tight integration with Google services

5. Because it's open so Chinese or European or even American companies can take it and wrap their whole business models around it (like Amazon)

6. Because it's more flexible and allows you to carry everything you have no matter what Android device you use

7. It's more intuitive and productive because people like widgets and quick access to information

wouldn't logic tell you that? what's gonna sell more? a 300 phone with a 3 year contract or a free phone on a 1 or 2 year contract?

Still not fact. Just guesses and nothing is proven at this time. People can speculate all they want but nothing is fact.

And comparing free phones by the top US carriers and just by Samsung...(since samsung phone sales are more than Apple's)

ATT = 0

Verizon = 1

Sprint = 1

Tmobile = 4

And these are all no very popular Samsung phones except for the SII on Tmobile.

Blablabla

Myself, and everybody I know, look at price. I got my phone, and everybody in family got their phones cause it was free or cheap. I will admit I don't know the entire planet. But it is highly unlikely the Marketing material you just read off regarding the benefits of Android, people don't care

Myself, and everybody I know, look at price. I got my phone, and everybody in family got their phones cause it was free or cheap. I will admit I don't know the entire planet. But it is highly unlikely the Marketing material you just read off regarding the benefits of Android, people don't care

Not sure about all the points Boz stated, but I know that a lot of people do care about look/size/customization.

Not sure about all the points Boz stated, but I know that a lot of people do care about look/size/customization.

Oh a lot do care about the look, why the iPhone sells how it does. And I also care about look, and size, and custom. But not over price. With equally $, I will take the one with more features hands down, but when you compare a $200 phone, 3yr contract, and extra plans ( why I refuse to get android as Sprint requires a $100 extra on top of the plan, just to have the opportunity to use it.) I'll pass every time.

I pay nothing for my phone, plan, texts. And not going to switch to an android until Sprint removes those $. That's not androids fault, but it is a limiting factor what the carriers are doing to Android. ( crap like NASCAR locked unto the phone and have to jailbreak just to remove it and rest of Sprint apps )

Oh a lot do care about the look, why the iPhone sells how it does. And I also care about look, and size, and custom. But not over price. With equally $, I will take the one with more features hands down, but when you compare a $200 phone, 3yr contract, and extra plans ( why I refuse to get android as Sprint requires a $100 extra on top of the plan, just to have the opportunity to use it.) I'll pass every time.

I pay nothing for my phone, plan, texts. And not going to switch to an android until Sprint removes those $. That's not androids fault, but it is a limiting factor what the carriers are doing to Android. ( crap like NASCAR locked unto the phone and have to jailbreak just to remove it and rest of Sprint apps )

I normally buy things for what I use them for. Yea, it would be cool to have the top of the line device every time, but if I am not going to fully utilize the device and all its features, then its a waste of money IMO. Why I still use a 4 year old laptop. I dont game on it, do image/vid processing. Just internet, email, and documents.

I used to have a boxy Lenovo T61 laptop. Wasnt much to look at, but worked great and did what I needed it to do.

oh man, I remember my old crappy Motorola Backflip... I was told i'd never be able to get the 2.1 upgrade from my phone company... then I installed it and found out why... They really need to close the fragmentation gap.

I normally buy things for what I use them for. Yea, it would be cool to have the top of the line device every time, but if I am not going to fully utilize the device and all its features, then its a waste of money IMO. Why I still use a 4 year old laptop. I dont game on it, do image/vid processing. Just internet, email, and documents.

I used to have a boxy Lenovo T61 laptop. Wasnt much to look at, but worked great and did what I needed it to do.

Agreed, why my secondary computer is an Athlon XP 3000 with Linux on it, laptop is I think 5-6 years old, desktop is newer but I game and graphics on it.

Most people use Cells for only phone calls, text message, and small % browse for short periods of time, but my free LG Rumor Touch can do that also ( think it even does email, never used it for that or care). Otherwise I have a desktop/laptop/tablet that can do it with a bigger screen, why use a small screen ( even with android phones, IMO the screen is just to small for regular browsing other then " I need to look this up now " )

And comparing free phones by the top US carriers and just by Samsung...(since samsung phone sales are more than Apple's)

ATT = 0

Verizon = 1

Sprint = 1

Tmobile = 4

I'm on Sprint and the free samsung phones for me without signing in are 4, Replenish, Trender, Rant, and M370, guess its area based