Intel debuts 7-Series/Ivy Bridge chipsets

Intel Corp. on Monday officially launched its 7-series chipset family that will enable new platform features on systems based on Core i-series "Sandy Bridge" and "Ivy Bridge" microprocessors. The new Intel 7-series chipsets are now available and shipping in mobile and desktop OEM systems and motherboards worldwide.

The new chipsets for desktops (H77, Z75, Z77, B75, Q75 and Q77) and notebooks (HM75, HM76, HM77, UM77, QM77, QS77) fully support Core i 2000-series "Sandy Bridge" and 3000-series "Ivy Bridge" central processing units. The main features of the new-generation platforms are support for PCI Express 3.0, USB 3.0 support, new overclocking capabilities as well as new PC responsiveness technologies like Intel Smart Response, Intel Smart Connect,and Intel Rapid Start in desktop and mobile systems.

Thanks to new core-logic sets and innovations of Core i-series "Ivy Bridge" chips, the new personal computers will be able to support stereo-3D output, ultra high-definition 4K (4096*2160 or 4096*3112) resolution support and so on.

Intel itself has also introduced several desktop motherboards that feature the new Intel 7-series Express chipset. Other leading makers of mainboards will also release their platforms powered by Intel 7-series core-logic sets shortly.

It is noteworthy that Intel decided to begin the roll-out of new platforms with chipsets. The company's first next-generation Ivy Bridge CPUs will only become available later this month.

Source: http://www.xbitlabs....Logic_Sets.html