#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,514 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 11 April 2012 - 16:17

Source: http://www.infoworld...190570?page=0,0

Microsoft in the media: Unfair and unbalanced

Is Microsoft unfairly criticized while Apple, Facebook, and Google get away unscathed? Judge the evidence

I've noticed an unfair, ongoing trend: If Microsoft does something a little off, it gets bashed into the ground for it. But if Google, Facebook, or Apple (all three of which can be categorized, like Microsoft, as The Man in their own rights) missteps, it generally gets mild reprimands and even support from the media and those drinking the Kool-Aid.
The parade of unfair criticism
Case in point is the famous iPhone 4 antenna issue (affectionately termed "antennagate"), where holding the iPhone 4 in a certain way would interfere with the cellular signal. Then-CEO Steve Jobs said, "Hold it differently," and everyone said, "Oh, it's not a design flaw, we are simply not holding it properly."
[ There's plenty of criticism to go around: Galen Gruman shows how Apple's growing power could have a dark side. And Eric Knorr asks why Google stopped doing no evil. | Stay abreast of key Microsoft technologies in InfoWorld's Technology: Microsoft newsletter. ]
We also see a ton of false reporting regarding certain products. One example is when Chrome was crowned the most-used Web browser, according to numbers from the online metrics firm StatCounter. The report tried to show that the browser users preferred on the weekend was the one they love the most: Chrome. This story went viral, but did the true facts reach the same audience? Of course not, even though Microsoft columnist Paul Thurrott gave a full explanation of the situation and helped expose it as false. Unfortunately, the lie was already in people's heads and most likely still is.
Take the brouhaha over the "Smoked by Windows Phone" controversy as another example where a very tiny thing is blown up to huge proportions simply because it is connected to Microsoft. In that case, Microsoft has been challenging folks to beat the Windows Phone OS in a variety of tests. It's been described as more of a "carnival attraction" and deemed unfair, but people lined up to give it a shot and came away impressed with the Windows Phone speed. Ultimately, it served its purpose.
Still, what people remember is the controversy: One guy at one store won the challenge using his Galaxy Nexus by displaying the weather of two different cities faster than the Windows Phone did. The store claimed he had to show two different cities in two different states, and he and the blogosphere cried foul. The guy was eventually offered a new laptop and smartphone as an apology.
This is a simple case of store employees not knowing what to do and making a bad call -- and the press feasting on Microsoft. That story got a ton of (negative) attention for Microsoft.

It is a two page article (print view is ugly) and makes some valid points.

#2 Amarok

Amarok

One. Three. FiVe.

• 1,773 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 16:37

I'd say that Apple and Facebook get away with things that Microsoft and Google don't. I would definitely say that Google doesn't get away unscathed. Just about any time Google does anything they get criticized by people who are unable to understand how google actually gathers information, how it uses it, and how everything works. Microsoft is in a similar boat in the mobile market at least. Just last week I read an article that more or less implied MS should give up it's mobile ambitions because it has no chance of standing up to Apple, which I think we all know isn't true. Just this morning one of the top TechCrunch people tweeted a few things about the Lumia 900 being an overhyped POS and last week that same person stated that imitating anything Microsoft does is a sure way to fail. So yeah Google and MS get made out to be evil and sinister while Facebook and Apple get away with some seriously questionable stuff. That's just the way of things I guess.

#3 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,990 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 17:54

I'd say that Apple and Facebook get away with things that Microsoft and Google don't. I would definitely say that Google doesn't get away unscathed. Just about any time Google does anything they get criticized by people who are unable to understand how google actually gathers information, how it uses it, and how everything works. Microsoft is in a similar boat in the mobile market at least. Just last week I read an article that more or less implied MS should give up it's mobile ambitions because it has no chance of standing up to Apple, which I think we all know isn't true. Just this morning one of the top TechCrunch people tweeted a few things about the Lumia 900 being an overhyped POS and last week that same person stated that imitating anything Microsoft does is a sure way to fail. So yeah Google and MS get made out to be evil and sinister while Facebook and Apple get away with some seriously questionable stuff. That's just the way of things I guess.

+1

#4 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,955 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:30

Facebook isn't getting away with stuff, they just have a monopoly, and a good reason Android is doing so well is because it's not Apple. Windows Phone is probably going to get success for not being Apple or Google, and Mozilla's B2G will probably get some success among the crowd that wants real open source software, rather than the lame imitation that Android is.

It's just various degrees of criticism. Note though, that the Xbox division doesn't get criticised - anymore that is. The same stuff that was being said about Microsoft going against Sony and Nintendo in the console gaming arena is being said about Microsoft going against Google and Apple in the mobile arena. They're just as wrong now as they were then.

#5 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:32

But Steve Jobs was the messiah, the great inventor, the great philanthropist, etc...!

#6 Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:34

I stopped reading when he said Apple don't get called on their bad actions. Just look at all the heat they get for what foxconn do with their employees? None of the companies he singled out get a free ride in the media. Just a bad unresearched article.

#7 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,955 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:38

But Steve Jobs was the messiah, the great inventor, the great philanthropist, etc...!

Anyone who believes he was a philanthropist (and I'm not saying you're one of them, my sarcasm detection isn't defective), is quite blind. When he came back to Apple he cancelled all charitible donations the company made. Now that Tim Cook is in charge, Apple has returned to at least making some charitable contributions (matching employee donations up to a certain amount). Steve Jobs was more the Anti-Christ.

#8 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,840 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:40

Unfair? You screw up big time or have other issues, its going to get mentioned. Unbalanced?? Umm, yea. If you screw up more than the competition it will be unbalanced but whose fault is that.

#9 CentralDogma

CentralDogma

Neowinian Senior

• 2,150 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:45

I stopped reading when he said Apple don't get called on their bad actions. Just look at all the heat they get for what foxconn do with their employees? None of the companies he singled out get a free ride in the media. Just a bad unresearched article.

I was just going to post this. Don't know what Microsoft has been criticized on worse than Apple's Foxconn thing.

#10 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,257 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:54

Unfair and unbalanced?

This isn't real life affairs or politics. Nothing to get worked up on really.

#11 jandler

jandler

Neowinian

• 70 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:05

Most media depends on ads money to stay afloat. Google is an advertising company and Apple spends billions of dollars in advertising. You don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

#12 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,560 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:23

I was just going to post this. Don't know what Microsoft has been criticized on worse than Apple's Foxconn thing.

Remember Browser choice? What is it EU's prime court business what MS does/did/will do with their god damn OS. Are you kidding me.

If You're dumb enough not to know how to download another browser without MS doing that for you, you should be kept away from computers in general.

Its like going to Ford's dealership and saying I don't like your engine in that car, swap it for an Doge Viper one because I say so and if not I'll sue your ass.

Edited by alwaysonacoffebreak, 11 April 2012 - 20:31.

#13 excalpius

excalpius

Neowinian Senior

• 4,573 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:34

Apple spends a fortune on PR and advertising that Microsoft does not.

Since Pro-Apple articles and reports are demanded by Apple to continue this gravy train, and since most networks, magazines, and web sites are literally kept in business and afloat by Apple's marketing money, it's really quite easy to see the end results of this corrupt system.

#14 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,840 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:00

Apple spends a fortune on PR and advertising that Microsoft does not.

Actually, MS spends more money on marketing that Apple does.

http://techcrunch.co...le-ad-spending/

#15 resol612

resol612

Neowinian

• 265 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:59

Arguments are irrelevant against Apple, because religion, that's why.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!