Blue Screen of Death on XP with Zone Alarm

I'm having the same trouble with Zone Alarm (freeware) and XP 2505. I get the blue screen of death from the file vsdatant.sys. Page Fault in Non Paged Area.

Anyone know of a fix or workaround? I like ZA and will buy the Pro version if that will fix it.

ZoneAlarm is not supposed to protect from inbound attacks according to info on other boards, (outbound it's protection is excellent!) but I have yet to see any evidence of this, as I've been running XP for quite a while on ZA and never had any problems. One good thing is to make sure that your XP setup has un-needed services shutdown, I have a list of the services that you can disable kickin around, if you want it let me know.

Testing firewalls, there are a few good sites, one that springs to mind is www.grc.com.

ZoneAlarm do have a beta that works under XP, If you want drop me a line and i'll dig it out and send it on.

I'm waiting until ZoneLabs comes up with a firewall like ZoneAlarm that is a direct replacement for the one in XP, until then I am using ZoneAlarm 2.6.69 on XP, but have downloaded Tiny Personal Firewall and will report back on my results.

Tiny can be downloaded from http://www.tinysoftware.com/pwall.php

Good luck.

OK sounds cheezy but damn if I haven't been battling this one too. I'm even considering Reloading XP2505. I sent logs to Microsoft on this error.

Here's a site I found that referenced this error.

http://content.techweb.com/winmag/columns/...w2k/2000/33.htm

The only problem is that it's for 2000 sp1.

The error is random but always happens when I or someone else connects to my ftp server (I've used multiple ones) with any ftp client. When the connection is made I get:

ERROR STOP 0x0000005

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

Address EB679781, base at EB670000

VSDATANT.SYS

This happened with ZA and ZAPRO and XP 2505.

Yes I resorted to Tiny as well. But it's a little annoying at times but the next best thing next to ZA (my opinion)

• 12 years later...