Problem with Moving an hdd from one computer to the other

Sorry for being so general. But I do have a general question. Is there a possible fix for when you move a hard drive from computer where the Windows OS loads fine to another and it just keeps restarting...without having to format and reload Windows?

Yeah moving and OS from one computer to another is not a supported feature. Yeah its quite possible your going to have all kinds of issues -- unless it is EXACTLY the same hardware??

Where do people get the idea you can take an operating system that has drivers for all the hardware that makes up computer A and just stick it in computer B with DIFFERENT hardware (so different drivers needed) and think it will just go about it business with no issues?

You can move DATA disks between machines without problem - OS disks, no -- install your OS on this hardware!

You can get lucky if the hardware is very close -- but in general, different computer = install of OS.

Yes it is possible since I have successfully done it before on several PCs. I am assuming that the OSes are the same (Windows 7 to Windows 7), the hardware is not drastically different, and that you know what you are doing. I had to transfer my hd from an old computer to a new computer with the same OS but with more memory, new CPU, graphics card, etc. I didn't want to reformat and reinstall so I did the following directions and it worked.

http://scottiestech.info/2010/03/17/upgrade-your-motherboard-without-reinstalling-your-os/

Good luck!

When moving hard drives with operating systems on into new computers, it's often recommended to reinstall Windows. This is because there will be big differences between the hardware in the two computers. If the two computers are the exact same models, then you can get away with it. But in most cases you'll have major problems with the motherboard chipsets being different, and that's what usually causes the bluescreens/restarts.

"I am assuming that the OSes are the same (Windows 7 to Windows 7)"

:blink: ya think? ;)

"the hardware is not drastically different"

There you go you hit the nail this time, your thumb must be throbbing from that first comment though ;)

All you have to do is run into a different chipset handling the disks and kaboom you're looking at a BOOT_DEVICE_NOT_FOUND or whatever it used to be :c