56 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Neowin' official PC Hardware buying guide. For those who don't have time to keep track of the latest news and don't want to go through the hassle of reviewing every new product that comes out, we have build a comprehensive guide, specifically for you. You can trust this guide with all your money. We have developed it, taking into consideration, all the reviews from various technology sites, throughout the internet.

Budget - Everyday work, with casual gaming

Intel Pentium G860

Edited by Anaron
8 people like this

Posted

You do know that this thread has to be updated everyday right?

Posted

You do know that this thread has to be updated everyday right?

Not everyday. Not necessarily

Once in a month only :p

Posted

Not everyday. Not necessarily

Once in a month only :p

More like once a week, at least. Every week at least 1 thing better than what is posted comes out. Thats why threads like this cannot exist. The PC building industry is too fast.

Another thing, all your parts are from Newegg. There are better and cheaper parts than from Newegg. Besides that, Newegg does not ship everywhere.

Posted

for "Budget - Everyday work, with casual gaming" a celeron g530/40 offers pretty good performance for about 40euros.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-g540-g440_5.html#sect0

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-g540-g440_6.html#sect0

h61 chipset is ok for ultra low budget but rather then the 2nd listed Asus H61-M LE, an extra $9 with the Asrock H67 board brings more features like hdmi, usb3, 2 x SATA 6Gb/s, optical out

Posted

The Extreme Build is odd 32GB RAM, SLI/Crossfire and a large RAID 0 for storage of games would make more sense. Why a 512GB SSD? SSDs arent exactly THAT cheap yet.

Posted

The Extreme Build is odd 32GB RAM, SLI/Crossfire and a large RAID 0 for storage of games would make more sense. Why a 512GB SSD? SSDs arent exactly THAT cheap yet.

pretty sure an SSD will outperform a RAID 0 easily. Don't need 512 gigs of it though.

and 32 gigs is overkill when most games can't use a fraction of that.

Posted

Why a 512GB SSD? SSDs arent exactly THAT cheap yet.

An SSD will outperform RAID 0. And we are talking about people who want to maximize the numbers, and who don't care about money, in this last portion, so yeah... :p

Posted

surprised no AMD APU A-series get in the list specially in the budget area. They sound good to me, future proof cheap to buy and run, and gonna save you the GPU!!!

Posted

I agree with the APUs. Great for budget builds. Good job on creating this. It will at least provide some guidelines for those looking for build help!

Posted

surprised no AMD APU A-series get in the list specially in the budget area. They sound good to me, future proof cheap to buy and run, and gonna save you the GPU!!!

I had them in my mind, but when reviewing some benchmarks, on average the Pentiums gave better performance. APUs were a bit ahead in gaming, but a bit behind in other tasks, where Pentiums excelled

Posted

I had them in my mind, but when reviewing some benchmarks, on average the Pentiums gave better performance. APUs were a bit ahead in gaming, but a bit behind in other tasks, where Pentiums excelled

Pentiums faster.. lets see :p

Pentium G850 (

Posted

Bout time someone made a topic like this.

Pentiums faster.. lets see :p

Pentium G850 (

1 person likes this

Posted

[...]

I was waiting for you to show up :p

As CentralDogma, before me pointed out, from TomsHardware, AnandTech and Guru3D, I was able to conclude that overall, on average, Pentium is a better option. Sure, the APU gives a bit better gaming performance, but on average, as a whole, I think Pentium is a better option. I will review the APU from the source you have provided, and consider it in the next update.

Muhammad Farrukh, you should consider adding in case recommendations, that

Posted

Now I feel like my post was a little bossy. :p

You did a good job though; lord knows I don

Posted

It all depends what you want. The APU's are good for budget gaming, as they have the nicer integrated GPU. I think you should have left side be Intel, and right side be AMD CPU's (except after High End - where AMD just gets destroyed).

Posted

snapback.pngSite Lab, on 16 April 2012 - 16:32, said:

[...]

I was waiting for you to show up :p

As CentralDogma, before me pointed out, from TomsHardware, AnandTech and Guru3D, I was able to conclude that overall, on average, Pentium is a better option. Sure, the APU gives a bit better gaming performance, but on average, as a whole, I think Pentium is a better option. I will review the APU from the source you have provided, and consider it in the next update.

Heehee, I have to put AMD into the argument. A good idea, would be like tsupersonic said is left hand side Intel, right hand side AMD. Then have an APU build. Therefore if someone wants an APU they can see the best option for that, and if someone wants to go AMD then they can as well. You could also do with a UK prices bit. (Newegg + Aria (www.aria.co.uk) is a good one.)

Posted

Just wondering who decides what appears on these lists? Is there a committee or something?

Posted

Is there a committee or something?

Yup, there is :p

Posted

Yup, there is :p

Details?

Posted

Details?

Its classified :p

Suggestions and criticism are welcome

Posted

Well my main criticism would be these prices are for the united states only. And I think it's a bit silly to say its classified its a buying list not the NSA.

1 person likes this

Posted

I will make sure to add the Euro and Pound next time.

Posted

just saying from experience... never buy asrock, never buy biostar. they are crap at best.

and for budget builds, AMD is better bang for you buck...

Posted

and for budget builds, AMD is better bang for you buck...

No, no no we cannot be having this. The dual core i3 obviously beats all of the quad/hexa/eight core processors :p. It is also so much cheaper (even though the motherboards are more expenisve). *sarcasam*

1 person likes this