Do You Agree with Animal Racing?

Do You Agree with Animal Racing?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Agree with Animal Racing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Really Care

The Grand National, a famous race in the UK attracts regular betters while many of those bets placed are from people whom will not place another until next year.

After reading an article today on the BBC 'According to Pete', one of the horses, was put down at the scene as the horse fell at one gate breaking it's leg. It also seems there was another horse that died in the race.

My question is this: Is it right to race horses?

I am not exactly an animal lover, I have two cats and they are part of the family. Perhaps it was just the realisation that horses do die in races, whatever it is, I don't really like it. I realise removing obstacles will make it boring perhaps but is the thrill not about who is going to win or who is the fastest?

But then I would ask, what is wrong with dog fighting? Humans have boxing as a sport? We race dogs and horses which carries a risk of death? I am not in agreement with dog fighting, far from it. But for me, it begs the question.

I am also not a better. I don't bet on the lottery, horses, dogs or anything. The odds are rubbish :p

But then I would ask, what is wrong with dog fighting? Humans have boxing as a sport? We race dogs and horses which carries a risk of death? I am not in agreement with dog fighting, far from it. But for me, it begs the question.

The argument against dog fighting, and c*ck fighting, is that they're trained in a cruel way that gets them to be vicious, and then in the fight they're trained to be vicious and kill each other -- while people boxing are prepping themselves and have self-control in the ring.

Bullfighting is in a little bit of a different category although many people oppose that also.

Yes I agree with it. The horses are cared for and it certainly is not intended for the animal to die, and believe me the last thing the owner wants is to lose their horse. Unfortunately it is an unintended consequence because the prognosis of a broken leg is extremely poor for a horse. If the horse is not put down it will go through a lifetime of suffering.

But then I would ask, what is wrong with dog fighting? Humans have boxing as a sport?

People box because they want to, dogs are tortured and forced to do it.

If people were brought up for the sole purpose of being forced to fight in boxing matches then your comparison might have some value.

I think it's totally wrong to race or fight animals. It's wrong because they don't have a choice and are forced into it. Boxing or general human fighting (MMA etc) is different. The person has a choice to participate and is not forced into anything against their will.

horses were domesticated because of their sheer work ability. To some horses are a machine rather than a pet. I don't know anyone who has a horse for a pet actually.

They ride it, use it for field work, breeding, training, or something along that line.

I don't feel its wrong to race horses, but if you ARE going to race them they should be taken care of.

As you stated one broke its leg and was euthanized - this is basically saying, "Im in it for the money - that horse is lame for racing, so kill it" I don't agree with that at all.

They are animals with compassion and emotion, they require companionship and attention... If you want to spend 8 hours a day with the horse training it for a 5KM long race or something, so be it, just don't forget its a living creature.

As for fighting animals as brought up in the thread - Im against that. I mean, if an animal DON'T want to race, then it just won't move... Im sure people don't continually buy horses and kill them should they not want to run. I can't see how that could be profitable.

Horses also get whipped by jockeys, and in some instances, have tendons in their legs removed to keep them running even though it will eventually kill them. It's a barbaric sport and should be banned. I'm also staunchly against the caging and removal of animals from their natural environments (Zoos).

I see it as OK, as long as a particular animal is willing, and is treated well.

However, I realize there are a lot of abuses.

How would we know that the horse is willing to race? When he is also among the bettors? :D

Though I think, that the only animal sport we should have is, who treats his animal the best!

As you stated one broke its leg and was euthanized - this is basically saying, "Im in it for the money - that horse is lame for racing, so kill it" I don't agree with that at all.

What? No it's not. They're euthanised because there is a small chance of recovery, and during that time the horse will be in pain. See here.

I'm also staunchly against the caging and removal of animals from their natural environments (Zoos).

The first time I read that I thought you were insinuating that an animal's natural environment was a zoo. :laugh:

Nature is much more cruel to animals than this. Domesticated animals generally live blissful lives compared to those in the wild.

Definitely this.

I didn't vote because I'm kind of torn on this issue, I will say that I am neither a race goer or gambler.

It distresses me whenever I see an animal put down for whatever reason.

My question is, what would happen to all the unwanted animals?

It may be barbaric but it's been going on since one bloke challenged another to a race. Probably trying to win the heart of a woman. :)

Race horses do live a pretty good life but when it's over; it's over.

Feel more sorry for all the other animals that get mistreated by their misguided or cruel owners.

Didn't mean to get too deep. :blush:

The Grand National, a famous race in the UK attracts regular betters while many of those bets placed are from people whom will not place another until next year.

After reading an article today on the BBC 'According to Pete', one of the horses, was put down at the scene as the horse fell at one gate breaking it's leg. It also seems there was another horse that died in the race.

My question is this: Is it right to race horses?

I am not exactly an animal lover, I have two cats and they are part of the family. Perhaps it was just the realisation that horses do die in races, whatever it is, I don't really like it. I realise removing obstacles will make it boring perhaps but is the thrill not about who is going to win or who is the fastest?

I am also not a better. I don't bet on the lottery, horses, dogs or anything. The odds are rubbish :p

Yes, the odds are rubbish, because all the rules are made by rich men and all the animals are pwned by rich men, for making poor men give what little money they have to the rich men in the way of betting.

Gambling on animals is for lamers

Animal racing is a straight up homage to the animals themselves. I don't think as many people would care about horses if the Kentucky Derby didn't exist.

It just shows that animals are more useful than becoming food.

[. . .] Minnows are BORN to race.

It didn't seem like that in the video. The video depicted them being forced down the aisle with sticks, and during the times they weren't being forced, they were probably swimming forward because they had no idea what was happening and that's all they saw in front of them.

It didn't seem like that in the video. The video depicted them being forced down the aisle with sticks, and during the times they weren't being forced, they were probably swimming forward because they had no idea what was happening and that's all they saw in front of them.

I love you Calum -- but I think the sarcasm flew over your head buddy. :)