Metro Transparency

Peripheral vision onl sees motion, it's a "pay attention" kind of thing. The brain and eyes, only focus on one object at a time. The only thing your brain actuall focuses on on background stuff is sound, which is why you can watch a movie while doing something else. You don't actually see it, you jus hear it and the brain fills in the rest from when you do watch.

oh wow a second menu? Tisk tisk..

Um actually yes I am. I guess you never heard of peripheral vision, or does everybody have tunnel vision without knowing it? Or what about helping somebody through email how to get somewhere from Control Panel? Do you expect them to write it down instead of moving their eyes slightly to the email? You give a list of long instructions in an email that requires the start screen to be opened. They open it and perform some stuff, but then forget the rest. The need to close the start screen, read the rest of the email, and try again?

If I am looking at the start menu in pre WIndows 8, and I am a network admin with some networking graphs open. I am looking at the start menu looking for a program or something. All of the sudden I see a lot of movement and a lot of RED. I can just move my eyes to the right and see what is going on without even closing the start menu.

So yes, while you cannot 100% concentrate with peripheral vision, it still has some of your concentration to be aware of changes.

Just like if you are at work and somebody walks to you. You only see him in your peripheral vision. Do you continue your work for hours while they just stand? No, I am aware of somebody standing to my side and see what they need. I am not aware of them if I only look at them directly.

The driving and texting analogy does not hold because the other cars are typically outside your peripheral vision. Or if you have your phone on the steering wheel, you are blocking some of the view by just the device. There are some people that can do it though.

When looking at a computer, your peripheral vision is actually everything but the monitor. Just saying. :p

Your co fusing peripheral vision when not concentrating on something else and peripheral vision when you're actually focusing on something.

If you're reading a book or something you can not count how many fingers WITHOUT taking your focus off the book and stop reading for a while. Your brain don't work like that.

Movement I. Your peripheral allows you to tell the brain tostop focusing so you can shift focus. Either fully or by focusing on our peripheral. Even if your eyes is looking somewhere else, when lure counting those fingers, make no mistake, your brain is focusing on the fingers, not whatever your eyes is focusing on.

No offense, Dot Matrix your a tool for windows 8. Every post I see is you defending Windows 8 like its the perfect OS. That's being a fan boy. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and apparently you dont. Funny huh? Hawkman, sorry but searching applications on win 8 and no faster than win 7. Thats BS.

oh wow a second menu? Tisk tisk..

Yes, a second menu for all the power tools regular users don't EVER need to touch, but that advanced users I sits they need direct access to. And it gives far quicker access than any other windows menu system.

So what's the tsk, tsk, about. It's a quick advanced power menu, hidden from the regular user.

Good idea, now we just need to make the start screen 95% smaller, smaller icons, in list format with better organization. :shifty:

What? Jumbled in a tiny list with no thought to order? Instead of spread across my screen in nice categories.

No offense, Dot Matrix your a tool for windows 8. Every post I see is you defending Windows 8 like its the perfect OS. That's being a fan boy. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and apparently you dont. Funny huh? Hawkman, sorry but searching applications on win 8 and no faster than win 7. Thats BS.

Sorry but defending an OS and disagreeing with a hater does not make anyone a fanboy, calling people a fanboy however is considered flaming and against forum rules. And he's never called it perfect, though I don't always agree with him on everything.

Actually it is, it's an improved and faster search algorithm, on a band new install the difference is not there, on a system full of programs and apps and documents all indexed, there's a noticeable difference. Then there's the fact that your apps aren't hidden amidst document and control panel settings which also makes it faster to actually locate what you search for.

Yes, a second menu for all the power tools regular users don't EVER need to touch, but that advanced users I sits they need direct access to. And it gives far quicker access than any other windows menu system.

So what's the tsk, tsk, about. It's a quick advanced power menu, hidden from the regular user.

Well aren't you a regular user than? Because I don't see any signs of you being a power user at all. I rather have everything in one place instead spread across the OS.

Ad hominem. Nice.

Never have I said it was perfect, and many, many times I have expressed that it is not. However, the new Start Screen is a welcome change in Windows. Certain trade-offs are going to be made, that comes with any change, but in the long run, the 9x paradigm is unsustainable. You guys want things to stay the same, when the market is pushing for the change. If you want things to stay the same in Windows, than don't expect Windows to be here in 10 years. Which do you prefer?

So you can't counter an argument, and resort to ad hominem. Nice.

No no dude I wasn't even arguing with you, I was stating my opinion that's all. Like seriously, a lot of neowin members would agree. :rolleyes:

He's not defending it as "perfect". Just better than Windows 7. The startscreen as better than the startmenu.

He's not defending it as "perfect". Just better than Windows 7. The startscreen as better than the startmenu.

Please copy and paste a post from him that states him saying anything relating to improvements to win 8 or something he rather see.

Well aren't you a regular user than? Because I don't see any signs of you being a power user at all. I rather have everything in one place instead spread across the OS.

Oh so you think all your music should be in the same folder, oh whatever lets throw all the ideas and documents in there as well no point I separating stuff by categories.

I'm probably far more of a power user than you will ever be. And I would rather have the power tools in the easily accessible from anywhere power tools menu then cluttering up the start screen/menu that I use to launch apps. A menu whose space is far better used for showing those apps I want to launch. That way my power meunis also less cluttered.

Also the power menu allows me instant access to computer management and other tools I would otherwise need to open control panel to access or search for, which while fast is not as fast as the power menu. Then again I can see from your reply you didn't actually read or comprehend my previous reply on this subject at all anyway. I guess separation of tools based on user class and ease of access is a difficult concept.

Please copy and paste a post from him that states him saying anything relating to improvements to win 8 or something he rather see.

I haven't yet posted in a "Windows 8 Improvement" thread, but it doesn't mean I think Windows 8 is the holy grail of OS's. I wish there were things it did, and things it did differently, but I thought the same of Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

And while searching for applications may not be any faster than Windows 7, it's not any slower either, however I will put forward that searching for files is faster.

Annoying yes, it's also wrong. Win8 will give results from the first letter and on. De and I have device manager, ph and I have photoshop, up and I have windows update and so on.

Just me then? :-

post-33944-0-39542700-1335449686_thumb.p

• 1 year later...

So anyyyywaayyyy........ lol

I started this thread awhile ago but today I saw on the homepage today that Windows 8.1 will at least let you have the same background for the desktop and startmenu.

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-81-start-button-finally-shown-off-on-video

IMO their solution is MUCH better than the transparency I originally proposed because you don't really care about the details of whats under there, you just want it to feel the same, and not have your screen dominated by something that feels completely different. So good job for them. Horray!

Originally very few people agreed with this post lol, but to me it seems like this new feature a step in the right direction, and yes very similar to OSX launchpad :)

Holy thread resurrection batman!