iTunes account hacked

Question

Try to figure this one out.

I've used iTunes once, in 2008, to 'purchase' a free album. I haven't used it since.

Fast foward to last week, someone got my password, updated the credit card number (with one I'm assuming is stolen), and bought five $25 gift cards.

Now riddle me this: it obviously wasn't a keylogger or phishing that got my password since I only used my account once. I can guarantee it wasn't a brute force hack since my password is good. So how is it possible that somebody got my password? The only possible way I can think of is a security breach with Apple. Wouldn't we hear about that though?

I emailed Apple about it, told them everything and how I changed my password. Their useful [sarcasm] response told me that they reset my password and I need to go in and update. Real helpful. Anyways, I'll just close my account once I figure out how.

3 answers to this question

If it were an inside job @ Apple. You wouldnt hear anything about it unless it was done on a large scale. They wont have a press release if 1 person salvaged an account from archives.

im assuming that when you last used it was when the security was iTunes accounts was kinda low ( aka they didnt require alot of stuff ) so somebody prolly just did some social engineering to get the account and do what they did.

and like einstein said, you cant close the account as far as i know