Facebook picture reveals a crime against police

A 20-year-old in Letcher County admits he stole gas from a police cruiser!

Once he posted the picture of him in the act and making an obscene gesture on Facebook, it spread like wildfire and Jenkins police began investigating.

Michael Baker's girlfriend snapped the picture they say was meant to be a joke.

It was not so funny when Baker was put in the back of one of those cruisers.

"We was just standing there and thought it would be funny to take a picture and then post it on Facebook," said Baker.

At first, Baker and his girlfriend were apprehensive to talk about what really happened last Friday.

"Yeah, we're sorry, but it was just a joke. I mean if we was going to steal gas, we wouldn't put it nationwide on Facebook. We don't steal anyway, but we're sorry," said Joann Sandelin, Baker's girlfriend.

As the interview continued, Baker loosened up and his honesty might surprise you.

"I got a little bit of gas. I ain't gonna lie but not much. I couldn't get much. I tried but there wasn't much in it," said Baker.

A little gas or a lot of gas, it is still the same crime in the eyes of law enforcement.

"If they're going to do it to a police car, they're going to do it to just about anybody," said Jenkins Police Chief Allen Bormes.

Baker spent a night in jail for his offense and was charged with theft by unlawful taking, but he says he is not sorry for what he did.

Gas prices are high, but Baker's fine for stealing it will be much higher.

Officials at the Jenkins Police Department say they are taking necessary precautions to avoid another event like this one and plan to have lockable gas caps in the near future.

Source

Image for relevance:

gas+bandit+2.jpg

"If they're going to do it to a police car, they're going to do it to just about anybody," said Jenkins Police Chief Allen Bormes.

He could of just done it for the lulz. Though indeed, he should be banged up for a night and with hefty fine.

Bit of an idiot for posting it on facebook.