76-Year-Old Grandma Crashes Through Florida Supermarket

Thelma Wagenhoffer, 76, was pulling up to a stop sign in Palm Coast, Florida on Saturday when she hit the gas instead of the brakes. Security camera footage shows her crashing her Camry through the entrance of a Publix supermarket and into a line of people.

Florida Highway Patrol Captain Jerry Crews stated today, "When you see the video you realize it's a miracle no one got killed."

Wagenhoffer injured ten, including a 3-month-old baby and an 83-year-old man who was dragged under the car as it slid 40 or 50 feet into the store. He is the only one who remains in serious condition. The baby remained strapped into its stroller and received only a bump on the head.

Just over two weeks ago, a small aircraft crashed into another Publix supermarket in Florida, injuring five, but killing none.

The Florida Highway Patrol inspected Wagenhoffer's 2004 Camry and found no mechanical problems. Only 2007-2010 Camrys were recalled in the unintended acceleration scandal of last year, and the county sheriff's department concluded that Wagenhoffer had just pressed the wrong pedal.

She has been charged with careless driving and will have to appear in court.

source & video

Once I saw the stroller I was like OMG.

Literally she was speeding BEFORE she got to the stop.

This doesn't detract my opinion of people over a certain age should not be driving, or require a complete retest every 10 years for everybody. Any DUI on history is a full Revocation of driving priv's

Because driving is a Privledge not a right.

To me that wasn't an "Oops; I stepped on the wrong pedal"; that was more of a "I wasn't all there and I should have my license revoked" sort of thing. That could of been so much worse!!

Once you hit age 55, you should be required to retake the test every 5 years, up until 70. Then you should be required to take it every other year.

Way too restrictive. Very few of these types of accidents happen with people at 55. 70 then every 5 years yep.

I honestly believe that after the age of 65 you should be tested each year to keep your drivers license.

I see why many buildings have the heavy concrete/metal pillars in front. :s

I think those are more to prevent people from robbing the store. In the middle of the night when nobody is working, people will back up a (stolen) truck or van through the entrance, fill the vehicle full of loot, and drive off. It happened once where I used to work. A few days later, a few of those pillars magically appeared.