New Gmail Look rolls out...complaints sky rocket

I find the colour choices in most of the themes to be REALLY bad - they haven't thought about them at all.

Also the fact that you can't change the background image and then the text colours separately is incredibly damn stupid - for example use the Wood background and then look at the white scream at your face.

Awful, damn awful.

I've been using it for a while too and i think it's great. I wouldn't go back to the old look now. In fact, i wish my hotmail looked as clean as this.

New look sucks major a** just as Gmail does as a whole, IMO.

Only use the 3 accounts I have for storage and nothing else except removing spam!!

I have yet to find a better looking interface than what Yahoo Mail has. I just absolutely love it.

I like windows live mail's so far as layout as far as the arrangement of where stuff is in the interface but the look and feel could use an update.

I really like the new look, and I've been using it since the preview. I liked the old look too, but I think the new look is a lot better.

I rarely use my gmail account, this won't change that :)

I like it. My only complaints would be the way it tries to "fit" the window (I'd rather scroll it like a regular page and not have the toolbar permanently visible) and that a few times I've ended up without the reply box (and have to go back to inbox and reopen the email to reply). The latter is probably a bug as it happens quite randomly.

I get why the people who use themes don't like it... the new ones are poor and just make it harder to read. Would be nice to have a way to customize the whole theme and have it apply across the board (Gmail, calendar, etc).

I use Windows Live Mail usually.

On the odd chance I actually have to use the Gmail UI, I prefer Hotmail's. But then I still get confused as they have moved all the functions around. I only use Gmail as I have an Android phone. If I could sync facebook with hotmail calendar, then sync that with my android phone then I'll switch.

I have no problem with the new Gmail look whatsoever. In fact I'm one of those who switched to it as early as possible.

I think it is simple: If you do not like the look, then do as I have been doing for years, access via pop3/IMAP, you do not have to see the GUI this way. Problem solved in my book...

Exactly. I don't even use the web version on my main PC. Evolution FTW :)

Honestly i do not see why so many people complain. it is a free service and if you do not like the way it looks then download any of the myriad free Email client applications and use that instead.

I haven't seen what the new look was, until my account was just switched a few minutes ago.

Dark Theme + Compact. I quite like it :)

Been with the new theme for a few months now, don't miss the old look at all. Also don't remember what the old look was anymore. In fact I really don't even use themes now, the new look is much more simplified and fits with the rest of Google. Im surprised people would think Google wouldn't update Gmail to fit the new Google UI

I've been using it for months; preferred the old layout by far. I don't like how they handled the scaling of the chat bar / contact list / Filter list. If I make them fit perfect on my 1080p desktop but then log in with my small laptop, I can't see anything. But if I fix them for my laptop's resolution, it gets screwed up on my desktop.

Also the lack of custom color themes is dumb.

Oh, so it's not actually new, it's the one some of us have had for a while. I was confused there for a bit.

I don't mind it in Gmail. I think is a disaster in Google Reader, which I still love to use, but it's alright in Gmail. I do find replying ... less than intuitive, but that's always been the way in Gmail.

'people hate change'.

Well there's a good reason. I've never used gmail, but before hotmail went ajax, it was perfect. As soon as it went ajax, it just became a mess (and it still is a mess). Double click emails to open them but single click does nothing? WTF is that about? Half the time when you click the checkbox it'll actually open the message instead, and once you go back, all the checkboxes have been cleared so you have to start again. Plus is it slow and laggy compared to before.

A change is always nice (or annoying) when it's just a theme update, when it does major huge differences like hotmail -> windows live or the current youtube, it's just stupid.

I personally liked the new style and switched to it as soon as they offered it.

It's simple and clean, so I couldn't ask for more.

I don't really remember the old style, but it wasn't that big of a change, was it?

Doesn't look like MS Metro style to me. Simple while looking tactful. Something Microsoft can't seem to do. (yes I dislike Metro).

I don't mind change when good (like gmail here), but MS's Metro and Facebook's timeline can die.

Made one change on my gmail account, switched to text labels on buttons. My only complaint really: the settings isn't dark like the rest of the interface (I'm using the dark theme)

I don't really like it, but I'm getting used to it. I just don't know why they felt the need to change it, as I think it was perfect before.