Problems with the Android 2.3.3 update on LG Optimus S (Sprint)

Problems with the Android 2.3.3 update on LG Optimus S (Sprint)

1) battery life is not as good as with v2.2.2. It drains much faster. I charged it to 100% and I used it for the following:

1.5 hours of browsing facebook, neowin, accuweather, 2 other forums, hotmail, reddit, and a couple others on Wifi

2 hours of music playback with Realplayer using the EQ app by SA Labs

15 minutes using Airdroid to put 5 videos I downloaded off Youtube to the phone (it also cut out intermittenly and I will discuss this in further detail in another section

15 minutes using SpeedTest.net app for 3G speedtest 4 attempts on 3G and 2 on Wifi

7 hours approximate time the phone was not in use.

I charged it to 100% approx 18 hours ago. The battery life is at 45% as of 4:17AM 4.20.112

The timer also shows that it has only been on battery for 4 h 51m 14s!!!

This also leads me to another problem

2) Using a timer app for timing my baked potatoes that were in the oven: i set the timer for 1h20m for the taters: The timer would count down fine the first 35 minutes, then the timer would reset to 1h20m and count down again from the beginning! it would repeat this over and over.

3) My screen's sensitivity is different. it's more touchy now and it's too easy to select things by accident. Scrolling with realplayer and some other apps is way slower and very choppy with a playlist of approx 320 songs. it was not that bad with the prev. version 2.2.2.

My sister has the same phone and I have the following usage specs:

She had it charged to 90% before the update as well as me.

Her usage as follows:

20 minutes of browsing fanfiction.net, raocow's site, facebook

1 hour of music playback with realplayer using the same EQ app as me

10 minutes on SpeedTest.net app doing 4 tests

5 minutes downloading and re-installing her kroger iwireless app since it stopped working after I updated.

The battery is at 60% currently and prev. it would be at like 80%

Now is the battery life related to the 2.3.3 update or is it due to having that EQ app in the background? I would like to know this before I do any kind of reverting to the prev. version.

Thanks, but how do you explain the timer wonkyness??? I'll try some more kitchen time apps.... however the "time on battery" thing worries me.

how should I calibrate it? should I leave wifi on or have it off as much as possible for that? or does that really matter?

I think it was the new carrier update, not a new ROM. If it's not rooted, the best thing to do is let it die completely, then charge the phone while it's off. You're also being VERY nitpicky about the battery life for a smartphone.

It was a baseband update. ZVD to ZVJ it's a carrier update...

I've had it on since mid night last night...

and the battery life did not drain that much on the last version... I got 2 days of using it heavy 5 hours on day 1 and 5 hours on day two...

root the phone

unlock the boot loader

Use Titanium Backup

Put a custom rom on. 2.3.3 is quite old now compared to the fact 2.3.6/7 are out.

Try Go Backup !

Use Battery Calibrator for Calibrating your battery (you need to use it once, and uninstall for avoiding ads)

calibrator has these permissions!!

YOUR LOCATION

COARSE (NETWORK-BASED) LOCATION

Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate tablet location, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine approximately where you are. Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate phone location, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine approximately where you are.

FINE (GPS) LOCATION

Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the tablet, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power. Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the phone, where available. Malicious apps may use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power

and ads.....

calibrator has these permissions!!

and ads.....

as I mentioned, you need to use it Once, or maybe twice, not any more ...

what the application actually do? it just delete the "battery stats" file and Android regenerate it with actual battery stats !

I'll give it a shot once I deep discharge....

now should I drain it to the point of it shutting down? or when it tells me to connect charger...?

I'll give it a shot once I deep discharge....

now should I drain it to the point of it shutting down? or when it tells me to connect charger...?

Let it shut down it self.

OK... to make it quick I got music playing, wifi on and the EQ app on heavy processing....

root the phone

unlock the boot loader

Use Titanium Backup

Put a custom rom on. 2.3.3 is quite old now compared to the fact 2.3.6/7 are out.

touchy with custom roms specially since I use an MVNO (Kroger iwireless)