Opera 12 snapshot now with DirectX HWA

How are they trolling? The blog post does not specifically mention theora acceleration (or anything about video acceleration really) When they say "fully hardware accelerated", they are referring to that the UI of the browser should be accelerated as well, not just the web pages like other browsers do.

Trolling is claiming untrue things. For example, for Firefox, claiming full hardware acceleration without support of h264 / AVC, or claiming high performance while still greatly being outdone by competitors.

Yes, that is why my previous post specifically states why that is very very unlikely that someone would add hardware acceleration to WebM/Theora/RealVideo/Whatever.

AFAIK, UI acceleration is being done by Firefox without much success since version 4. IE10 has hardware acceleration done properly via Metro... eh,

I'm still not sure what Opera means by saying they want to be the first to be fully hardware accelerated

I believe they want to be the first cross platform browser that properly hardware accelerates on all platforms, unlike Firefox (which doesn't even bother outside of Windows), Chrome (not sure, but I don't think it has proper acceleration outside of Windows, and still isn't even fully accelerated on Windows anyway) & Safari.They've already hardware accelerated all over on mobile, and they're doing a good job getting the desktop there.

Though it's a testament to how hard a task it is trying to accelerate this kind of program with OpenGL is (needed for OSX & Linux accleration), when their single DirectX build is faster and more stable than all their previous OpenGL only accelerated builds they've been testing for months :p

The only platform Firefox doesn't accelerate the full UI on, is Linux (due to them using X11 surfaces and trying to get those to play nicely with OpenGL), that's being fixed though (Although as a result, it might be slower on some cards :laugh:)

Aye, but on Mac, Firefox doesn't fully hardware accelerate the draw operations.

Did find this quote from Opera though which probably explains their stance: http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2011/02/28/webgl-and-hardware-acceleration-2

Our hardware acceleration is a bit different from what other browsers have implemented. Most of them do full hardware acceleration of all draw operations, but only on Windows Vista and Windows 7 - dropping to a more limited set of accelerated draw operations on other platforms. Our implementation will feature full acceleration on any OS with sufficient hardware support. This means we can also use fully hardware accelerated draw operations on Windows XP, Linux, Mac OS X and OpenGL ES 2 capable devices such as recent smart-phones and web-enabled TVs.

Right on, Opera!!

Don't know how they can possibly make it faster, other than what they're explaining here, but bring it on!!

On ANY of my 8 systems, Opera EASILY blows away ANY other browser for speed.

Aye, but on Mac, Firefox doesn't fully hardware accelerate the draw operations.

Did find this quote from Opera though which probably explains their stance: http://my.opera.com/...-acceleration-2

Ahh, that explains things a bit better. They're writing their own 2D drawing API like Direct2D, but one that uses OpenGL underneath. I know Mozilla have similar plans, but that's a long way off (although some of their current drawing work is a precursor)

It'll be interesting to see what Opera can achieve, performance and capability wise (e.g. Direct2D is missing a few things you need for 100% GPU accelerated <canvas>, IE9 simply ignored those bits while Mozilla implemented them via OpenGL/Direct3D blending)

I wanted to tell that Opera 12 is nice but it cant load iGoogle properly :/ any tips ?

Sometimes setting opera to mask itself as firefox helps with these issues :)

Sometimes setting opera to mask itself as firefox helps with these issues :)

thank you does the work! (used Spoof UserAgent and set it to 2) :)

Now umm i have fixed the height of draggable content to max so that aero snap doesn't work when maximized. But now if i double click to are at right of tabs , it wont resize but open new tab , anyway to disable this ?