Links Posted As Links - Why Not Plain Text?

When typing a topic, I usually type most commands instead of using the toolbar. However when adding links, then it's always a hassle.

Since the upgrade, links now post as links, where before they would be plain text. It makes making them look nice more work. For instance...

Copying a link from a web page and making it look nice would require this:

[url=http://neowin.net]The Neowin Website[/url]

However when posting a link, it now does this:

[url=[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/[/url]]BBC Website[/url]

Which produces this when un-wrapped from the code tags:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/]BBC Website[/url]

Because the links post as links, then simply typing them out to look neat means you have to post the link as plain text. So if it's a huge link to some web page then I have to paste it in the address bar or a text document, then re-copy it so it's plain text.

Turning off the rich-text toolbar isn't the required affect either as that makes everything look dull. I guess IPB updated the editor to recognise links and automatically make them links.

Could this be changed?

I am using Google Chrome.

Thanks

Who types all that garbage code in anyway?

I WANT links to APPEAR as links!

This isn't some warez forum where code/tags are necessary, for the most part.

I want to see the URL before I click. Please use the toolbar if you're that picky. Some people may have the status bar disabled in IE9/Fx and want to still see the URL.

Also IBP handles much different then VB4.x does. VB 4.x does the behaviour that you are indicating...

We could, perhaps suggest to have a modification installed, however neobond would have the say so.

cork1958 - You mis-understood what I meant. Links would still appear as links, they would just be written nicely like this:

Here's the news story I found. Click here to view it now.

Yes, it means those who don't have a status bar enabled won't see it before they click, but I would say the majority of users have some sort of status bar as links are written like this all over the net, even on the front news page.

It just seems the text editor for posts is very good at keeping formatting too. For instance, copy your name with the mouse, then paste it in a new reply box and you'll get a large blue band, just like it is on the forum. Overkill no?

cork1958 - You mis-understood what I meant. Links would still appear as links, they would just be written nicely like this:

Yes, it means those who don't have a status bar enabled won't see it before they click, but I would say the majority of users have some sort of status bar as links are written like this all over the net, even on the front news page.

It just seems the text editor for posts is very good at keeping formatting too. For instance, copy your name with the mouse, then paste it in a new reply box and you'll get a large blue band, just like it is on the forum. Overkill no?

That simply isn't possible anymore because IPB have removed the BBCode (url) parser from the editor. You could try enabling the simple editor, which is the top left button in the toolbar?

As it stands the rich text editor is the default (just like writing an email in RTE mode).

That simply isn't possible anymore because IPB have removed the BBCode (url) parser from the editor.

That's a shame. I wonder why they did that as it seems a bit of a backwards step.

If you write the text, such as the words "click here"

Then highlight those words and click the link button on the RTE, it makes those words the link. Like so: click here

Ha ha, and an extra 10 seconds of work :p

Although maybe it is because I am simply not used to doing it that way. It seems... almost "noobish".

Although maybe it is because I am simply not used to doing it that way. It seems... almost "noobish".

+1 for "noobish." I've become very used to adding my own code in to my posts, and when it comes to adding links I've found myself having to turn the editor off. Quite frustrating, but I guess I'll just have to remember to keep the editor turned off.

• 9 months later...

I hate all the copy-paste "magic" on Neowin now. Can we just default anything that is pasted to only paste plain text? 99.999%* of the time just about everyone is copy-pasting from other web sites and copying the formatting of that web site by default is just plain annoying and impractical.

*made up figure.

test

test

test

Edit:

All three of those links pasted as plain text. Chrome is my browser, latest stable version.

I tried copying two from the address bar and pasting. First time I selected the link and clicked on the 'remove formatting' button. Second time I didn't do anything to the link. The third time, I right clicked on a link and copied it, then pasted it and didn't do anything to it in the rich text editor.

All of them were fine.

Not sure what the problem is!