Firefox 12 Final

What is posted in the OP may or may not be the final Firefox 12. Beats me why this would be reported here as final when it is not.

http://www.mozilla.o...US/firefox/new/

I've been downloading 12.0 final from mozilla directly, so I'm assuming it is the final version:

http://www.mozilla.o...=win〈=en-US

EDIT: Other languages check this link here

Firefox kick ass, it's a lot much better than ever before, what is wrong with you people?

I'm of a like mind there. I'm not bashing Chrome as it is a decent browser, but every time I work with it, it feels pretty sluggish and uses a ridiculous amount of memory compared to Firefox.. it's faster on the various benchmark sites but everywhere else/real world useage Firefox just feels so much snappier in both the GUI and overall responsiveness. The addons that I use don't quite work as well or have the features of their Firefox equivalents either.

My problem with firefox over the last 6 or 7 versions is that it just doesn't work as well as other browsers.

For the longest time, the application would struggle to play flash videos once the process hit 400mb. The videos would get really choppy. This was definitely Firefox, as no other browser had this problem, and I regularly test the latest version of each browser.

Then, they managed to fix that and introduce HW acceleration. Great, except that it made Firefox the browser with the worst font rendering on Windows. It looks butt ugly compared to the others (except IE9, which has the same issues) if you're using a third party visual style for Windows. It doesn't look half as bad if you're using the default Aero theme, but it still looks noticeably bad to my eyes.

So I stopped using it for a while. Then I tried Waterfox and Firefox 11 again. Text rendering is still bad but it can be tweaked a bit now - but now the browser freezes intermittently on a high end rig for one or two seconds at a time. Again, now other browser does this and it happens without any add ons and with a brand new profile.

It's like they introduce a new, small but infuriating problem with every version number.

I've been downloading 12.0 final from mozilla directly, so I'm assuming it is the final version:

http://www.mozilla.o...=win〈=en-US

EDIT: Other languages check this link here

nope.

unless and until it goes on their website, it's not the official release. they can still pull builds for last minute stuff. in fact they did exactly that last time.

• Like 1

My problem with firefox over the last 6 or 7 versions is that it just doesn't work as well as other browsers.

For the longest time, the application would struggle to play flash videos once the process hit 400mb. The videos would get really choppy. This was definitely Firefox, as no other browser had this problem, and I regularly test the latest version of each browser.

Then, they managed to fix that and introduce HW acceleration. Great, except that it made Firefox the browser with the worst font rendering on Windows. It looks butt ugly compared to the others (except IE9, which has the same issues) if you're using a third party visual style for Windows. It doesn't look half as bad if you're using the default Aero theme, but it still looks noticeably bad to my eyes.

So I stopped using it for a while. Then I tried Waterfox and Firefox 11 again. Text rendering is still bad but it can be tweaked a bit now - but now the browser freezes intermittently on a high end rig for one or two seconds at a time. Again, now other browser does this and it happens without any add ons and with a brand new profile.

It's like they introduce a new, small but infuriating problem with every version number.

Those freezes are being worked on. IGC, GGC and SuperSnappy will hopefully solve all of that.

I love the font rendering of the new Firefox. It is smoother and clearer. Chrome now has the worst rendering. IE9, Firefox, and Opera actually looks pretty good. IE9 still seems like the best as far as font rendering goes.

Font rendering is a bit better. Still not good though.

Also, Firefox 12 does not fix the intermittent freezing. If anything, they happen more often.

I have no idea what the development team at Mozilla are doing, but they need to get back into shape. FF gets worse with each release.

Font rendering is a bit better. Still not good though.

Also, Firefox 12 does not fix the intermittent freezing. If anything, they happen more often.

I have no idea what the development team at Mozilla are doing, but they need to get back into shape. FF gets worse with each release.

FF 13 is targeted for fixing those problems , its in Beta right now. Thank the rapid release mechanism that you would see those fixes very soon , unlike the old way , after a year...

FF 13 is targeted for fixing those problems , its in Beta right now. Thank the rapid release mechanism that you would see those fixes very soon , unlike the old way , after a year...

Yep, personally I'm a big fan of the new release cycle

This issue has been around for a few versions now. It's almost like "yea, yea, we'll fix it next release" every time.

oh wow another firefox release I'm so excited!!!!

not...

This issue has been around for a few versions now. It's almost like "yea, yea, we'll fix it next release" every time.

I think it is a Firefox perception problem.

Firefox was never fast and never really designed for modern-day Internet, even during the 3.6 days, Safari for Windows was immensely faster.

It is just that now we have Chrome and IE9/10 to compared Fireslow against.

Oh and here is the another kicker, there is one guy who is working on Windows HWA.

The amount of MemShrink and Snappy bugfixes made for Firefox 13 make it really fast perceptually. Devs never bragged about Firefox 10~12 being snappy. If you have time , get your hands on the Beta and try it once , and if you don't feel like its good enough , you can switch to whatever browser you like :)

http://www.mozilla.o...S/firefox/beta/

I think it is a Firefox perception problem.

Firefox was never fast and never really designed for modern-day Internet, even during the 3.6 days, Safari for Windows was immensely faster.

It is just that now we have Chrome and IE9/10 to compared Fireslow against.

Oh and here is the another kicker, there is one guy who is working on Windows HWA.

See, it's really how Chrome disguises it's speed and how it reacts, and your point of view of what sites you are browsing. Chrome is definitely more responsive in terms of how it handles UI atm, with the dragging tabs to re-order etc., but they both load almost exactly the same.

Chrome is definitely more responsive atm on stable for UI responsiveness, but if your going to be viewing sites with big images / bigger file images, Chrome is absolutely the worst. It has very choppy lag and scrolling jumps all over the place. Chrome is also still atrocious when your needing to let's say open a ton of tabs at once. It freezes, where Firefox you can almost the same amount and it still is running "smooth" for the most part.

I am a fan of both browsers though, that's for sure. :)