Getting back to Unreal Tournament in 2012

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:53

Why? I used to play UT99 heavily then i went to UT3 and honestly it feels like the same game just with better graphics albeit they took some guns out (like the green disk spinning thing with the beam i missed that)
but hell afaik you can lower the settings on ut3 and it will practically look like UT99 to some degree :p

Hmm i wonder if UT3 has that volcano CTF map that was fun

The game modes mostly, I didn't enjoy the new 'Warfare' mode and I felt the SP campaign was too heavily focused on it.

#47 MovFan1

MovFan1

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:15

I started to play it again online, after some 10 years pause. It is little better with modern Internet connection, but still laggy with many servers.

Still best gaming experience - newer versions look better, but gameplay is somehow worse. It is hard to say what is exact thing (are things) wich make(s) UT99 best for playing. For instance, I remember some announcements that newer versions will have very detailed face expressions of players. But instead it, we got opposite - smaller players and nothing from face details in fact. Sound is best too in UT99 - I don't get why, but it is most fun, and voices in later versions just sound worse and text is dumber. Maybe not relevant for many, but I like those (often taken from movies) old fashion taunts.

What is bad this days is online cheating: on few servers populated I see many cheaters, and worst is that they are often server admins self. There are installed some anti-cheats, but as I see, nothing detects X InstantHook - what costs more than org UT. Sad is that some make money from spoiling game.

#48 MovFan1

MovFan1

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:27

Also, i'd recommend using a third party renderer over the default d3d one, such as the one here: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ As it offers more options, such as AA/AF without having to force it in the driver control panel and others.

Good renderer. I installed, and is improvement. However, some servers will reject you detecting it. I guess because there are some cheat OpenGL renderers around - with transparent walls for instance.

So, I put back org renderer, and tried again that server, what was a worth - for the first time on Internet had really low lag. Ping was 32, and raised not much.

#49 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• 2,292 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:39

UT 04 is my favorite game of all time. All the custom servers with custom maps, guns and vehicles! Beyond FUN! UT3 was fun, but not as fun as 2004. Maybe because I missed all the custom stuff.

#50 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,705 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 20:18

I hope Epic creates a new unreal tournament game with the unreal 4 engine for win/mac/linux/ps4/xbone, that would be awesome.

#51 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• 1,048 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 08 March 2014 - 13:40

You can also get UDK, and it comes with a updated, stripped down version of Unreal Tournament. I don't know if multiplayer works, though.

#52 Brian Larios

Brian Larios

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:19

Funny... I was just talking about this game and how it changed my gamer-life lol. I know this is an older thread but cool to know the game still has a following.