Android Vs iOS The Truth about Apple and Google's OS

Nice videos (Y) , I watched only the first one so far. However, did notice a mistake. Swiping to remove apps in the app switcher in ICS does not close the app it only removes it from the list. On iOS you can close the apps from it's list, so in that respect iOS is in fact better. Just a minor nitpick but overall quite good.

Nice videos (Y) , I watched only the first one so far. However, did notice a mistake. Swiping to remove apps in the app switcher in ICS does not close the app it only removes it from the list. On iOS you can close the apps from it's list, so in that respect iOS is in fact better. Just a minor nitpick but overall quite good.

Swiping to remove apps in the app switcher in ICS WILL close the app..

I just tried it on my phone before replying just to make sure I wasnt wrong :) :shiftyninja:

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/10-sweetest-features-android-4-0-ice-cream-sandwich-118969

Well ... there you have it. lol.

I prefer my iPhone over my Samsung Android phone with ICS. That said. I appreciate that Google are getting better and better. But no ... generally, my iPhone is nicer. Better quality screen that any ... yes ANY Android device (not talking about resolution here ... resolution isn't the only thing that counts). Better design than any phone out there. Better core features that can be called on when making apps. Yes, you may have lots of customisation on the Android platform, but doing some really simple visual effects on the iPhone is literally a minute's worth of adding it. Whereas on the Android platform, in many instances, it means writing a custom piece of code.

I do prefer making apps for Android. That's true. It's more work to be honest, but it's a little more customisable and let's be honest, Google will allow any old crap onto the store. That's why theres a massive percentage of awful apps. And take a look at most apps on iOS / Android. They're mostly higher grade on iOS. Reason being that most people make iOS apps and then make Android ones later. You can't argue that. It's a fact.

There's good and bad reasons to have either platform. I get around it by owning both. I work for a developer and we make for both. These videos do nothing but prove the phone he uses works for him. Doesn't make it so for everyone else.

The Android OS might be getting better, but the upgrade timeline they have in place is an absolute nightmare. ICS was released months ago, but yet new devices still don't have it, and existing devices still aren't getting the upgrade. For that reason alone, I don't think I could ever get an Android phone. iOS or Windows Phone for me.

I love the second video playing a game with a bluetooth controller. Someone just a few days ago said who'd want to play games using touch on a small phone/table screen when there are consoles like the Xbox360. Well as the video says, hook your Android phone/table up to a 1080p TV and use your bluetooth game controller and you have a console already, one which has all your past (emulated), and present games.

It's pretty amazing how functional Android is considering all the different configurations it has to support. (Y)

• Like 2

android has a lot of benifits (like the post mentioned above i actually do that with my tab), but for a phone i'll always stick with iOS cause they have better music management, app support and OS support then android will ever have. not to mention once you jailbreak an iphone you can do and customize the OS just as much as any android device.

Apple is an abusive, power hungry bitc*. They want to control everything and if they can't they throw an unholy fit.

....I still love Apple...It was my fault anyway.... :rofl:

• Like 2

The Android OS might be getting better, but the upgrade timeline they have in place is an absolute nightmare. ICS was released months ago, but yet new devices still don't have it, and existing devices still aren't getting the upgrade.

That's simply not true. Lots of new devices being sold now come with ICS. By the same token, lots of devices have received the ICS update also. When you have so many different devices and hardware, it's much more complicated. iOS and WP devices all have the same chipsets, CPU's, GPU's etc, and allow virtually no customisation, so of course it's easier to upgrade for them (at the moment).

For that reason alone, I don't think I could ever get an Android phone. iOS or Windows Phone for me.

Windows Phone isn't even getting its first major upgrade if rumours are to be believed, that includes the just released Lumia 900, whose software will effectively be obsolete in 4/5 months. Good luck with that.

As for iOS. Yeah it gets updates but look at the performance degredation on older devices. There are forums full of iPad/iPhone users complaining of poor performance since updating. When you upgrade to ICS on Android, the performance is much improved. That's how updates should be.

And don't forget, even if a device doesn't get an official update, there are always ICS roms available.

That's simply not true. Lots of new devices being sold now come with ICS. By the same token, lots of devices have received the ICS update also. When you have so many different devices and hardware, it's much more complicated. iOS and WP devices all have the same chipsets, CPU's, GPU's etc, and allow virtually no customisation, so of course it's easier to upgrade for them (at the moment).

that's not true if you are a samsung device owner...even an owner of a brand new samsung device the galaxy note which ships with 2.3. and it is more complicated, hence the fragemenation issues everyone compains about.

Windows Phone isn't even getting its first major upgrade if rumours are to be believed, that includes the just released Lumia 900, whose software will effectively be obsolete in 4/5 months. Good luck with that.

As for iOS. Yeah it gets updates but look at the performance degredation on older devices. There are forums full of iPad/iPhone users complaining of poor performance since updating. When you upgrade to ICS on Android, the performance is much improved. That's how updates should be.

And don't forget, even if a device doesn't get an official update, there are always ICS roms available.

iOS 5 actually runs faster then iOS 4 on a 3GS which is a 3 year old device... and the roms availble are only an option to geeks like us who are willing to break their warranty and mess around with their devices, and at it's current state things like camera and LTE/3G modems don't work properly or at all if you go the CM9 route. android is awesome, their software/OS support is just garbage.

There are still lot features that iOS has that android doesn't. Airprint, Air play, music management is much better, better games, cool apps like flipboard.

Google Cloud print. Android has plenty of apps that support Airplay. Music management I'd strongly disagree considering I can choose a vast number of music apps to find which fits me best. I'll take PowerAMP over iTunes any day. Most games are coming to both now and either way, that's all opinion, but I'll give you apps and games iOS still has a slight edge in. And Google Currents for flipboard.

Moral of the story is, Android is a mess because of the litter of devices and fragmentation. I personally don't care for the interface of Windows Phone, but I do prefer it over Android since it's much more fluid and stable. It looks like rajput beat me to exactly what I was going to say, but the Note is a class example of what I was talking about. And I would sure hope that ICS does wonders on that phone because it's a lagfest. The whole root and rom install excuse is really lame actually. Unless the phone supports CyanogenMod, it's not even worth bothering. Even then, it's just plain embarrassing that the phone can only run well with 3rd party software.

For somebody that has the compulsive urge to "hack" into their phone and wants to be able to play NES on their 4" screen, then Android is perfect for them. For somebody that wants a clean interface that never lags and there is no worries about catching a virus, then iOS is the way to go. It's a little too early to judge Windows Phone, but it seems they are making pretty decent strides to provide the quality and stability of iOS. They just need a bigger app and phone selection.

android has a lot of benifits (like the post mentioned above i actually do that with my tab), but for a phone i'll always stick with iOS cause they have better music management, app support and OS support then android will ever have.

if you watched the video's you'd see that's actually a misnomer. If you have your music collection across devices (PC, mobile etc) and in a format apple doesn't approve of then you have to jump through hoops to get to the music, namely, waiting for iOS to convert it to its own DRM, or in some cases like OGG it doesn't work at all.

App support again is an inconsistent experience on iOS as illustrated in the video's. From lack of features to poor system integration and cross device support. Then there's the cost factor.

not to mention once you jailbreak an iphone you can do and customize the OS just as much as any android device.

Then wait for it to get bricked by Apple. Or when it stops working your warranty is voided. And no you still can't customise it like Android.

There are still lot features that iOS has that android doesn't. Airprint, Air play, music management is much better, better games, cool apps like flipboard.

"Air"print, "Air"play et al are just functions which print to wireless printers and stream audio/video. The former can be achieved with an App, and the latter can be achieved with most android old gen devices running Gingerbread [DLNA], and has become a standard with all recent and new phones coming out. They all support it.

Flipboard is nice, but gimmicky. I have both, an android phone (2 android phones actually) and an iPhone and I actually use Pulse, Zite and Flud the most for my reading, all of which are available on Android as well.

android has a lot of benifits (like the post mentioned above i actually do that with my tab), but for a phone i'll always stick with iOS cause they have better music management, app support and OS support then android will ever have. not to mention once you jailbreak an iphone you can do and customize the OS just as much as any android device.

Iphone has to be jailbroken to do simple tasks which in Android is just a download away like wifi/bluetooth/gps/etc toggle, Themes. Imagine what Android can do when rooted.

Google Cloud print. Android has plenty of apps that support Airplay. Music management I'd strongly disagree considering I can choose a vast number of music apps to find which fits me best. I'll take PowerAMP over iTunes any day. Most games are coming to both now and either way, that's all opinion, but I'll give you apps and games iOS still has a slight edge in. And Google Currents for flipboard.

Cloud print is a Joke compared to Air print. Believe me I have tried both. When I talk about music management I taking about the whole ecosystem. I use foobar to manage my music. Iphone just works better with my car the android does.

that's not true if you are a samsung device owner...even an owner of a brand new samsung device the galaxy note which ships with 2.3. and it is more complicated, hence the fragemenation issues everyone compains about.

How is 2.3 (gingerbread) more complicated? Samsung uses it's own TouchWiz UI, so it's pretty consistent (UI wise) from one Samsung device to the next. The video's in this thread show a 2.2 (Froyo) device still outdoing iOS in terms of easy of use, consistency, and functionality.

iOS 5 actually runs faster then iOS 4 on a 3GS which is a 3 year old device...

Really? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3384214?start=0&tstart=0

and the roms availble are only an option to geeks like us who are willing to break their warranty and mess around with their devices. and at it's current state things like camera and LTE/3G modems don't work properly or at all if you go the CM9 route

Many Android OEM's still honour warranty after rooting/install a custom rom. And the bootloaders are often unlocked so it doesn't require a hack like on iOS or WP to root. And as Still1 said, iOS has to be jailbroken to just to basic things that Android does out of the box or with third party apps.

It's very easy to backup your system then install a custom rom, and if things don't work out. restore it. The Android rom community is great for that.

android is awesome, their software/OS support is just garbage.

You mean in terms of updates? If the Lumia's 900 isn't going to get the WP8 update, then I'd say WP is worse.

I'm glad he had the time to point these things. Something I've been arguing with Apple fanboys forever. Android is light years ahead of iOS and there's absolutely no question about it. These videos just cement and show facts as they are.

• Like 2

I'm glad he had the time to point these things. Something I've been arguing with Apple fanboys forever. Android is light years ahead of iOS and there's absolutely no question about it. These videos just cement and show facts as they are.

Light years? Sure they have a few trivial features that iOS doesn't have, but how much does that really matter? Personally, I think not much. Android still can't figure out how to get rid of the lag and crashing problems, and for that sake, I think it's really sad. If somebody can make their phone faster and more stable by installing a custom ROM, that's a clear sign that the core OS is laughable.

And take a look at most apps on iOS / Android. They're mostly higher grade on iOS. Reason being that most people make iOS apps and then make Android ones later. You can't argue that. It's a fact.

That's due to marketing though.

So many people and companies are all like "ipod this and iphone that", yet they miss out on loads of people who don't own any apple products. The Apple product is good, don't get me wrong. It's very polished and works well together. But I am more than happy with how I live without it.

Companies who don't release apps at the same time (for all platforms) are short sighted and are only alienating their non-Apple customers.

Windows Phone suffers from this which is why I am not looking at their product until they have a wide range of apps available. But then it's the chicken and the egg, developers don't want to spend time creating apps for a platform that isn't that popular, so people don't choose that OS because of the lack of apps.

I've heard Apple music products convert music tracks from the works-everywhere MP3 format to their AAC format?

If so, that is just moronic and causes hassle for everyone.