41 posts in this topic

Posted

[font=georgia,serif][size=5][b]Adobe Officially Unveils CS6 And Its $49/Month All-Inclusive Creative Cloud Subscription Service[/b][/size][/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Today is a big day for Adobe. Not only is the company officially unveiling the next versions of virtually all of the applications in its Creative Suite, but Adobe is also launching its [url="http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html"]Creative Cloud online offerings[/url]. This marks a major change in how Adobe is selling and marketing its flagship product: while the company will continue to offer a shrink-wrapped version of CS6, it
2 people like this

Posted

Amazing amazing deal for everyone. Great job Adobe. That's how you do it.

Posted

Do they not offer student and teacher discount in UK for this? i was browsing the US site and the option was there i changed region to UK and the teacher/student pricing disappeared?

Its $29.99 in the US so should be around

Posted

I just ordered. Existing customers get it for $29.99 a month for a year membership. This si such a great deal.

Posted

If only Adobe priced their software at $100-$200 which they price at $5500 they would have become far more profitable. Along the likes of Google, Apple and Microsoft.
5 people like this

Posted

[quote name='xpclient' timestamp='1335170652' post='594817429']
If only Adobe priced their software at $100-$200 which they price at $5500 they would have become far more profitable. Along the likes of Google, Apple and Microsoft.
[/quote]

It would also decrease piracy. they have a 70% piracy rate I believe.

I wonder if they do that as more of a market saturation control rather though... make it expensive so there's less people doing it and less competition in the design arena.

Posted

[/quote]

Exaggerate much? I agree with your premise, but its not $5500.
1 person likes this

Posted

Even if Adobe release a new version every two year the current subscriptions would still means nearly half the price. Not to mention the 20GB storage.

For Companies, not only to they get a team price which is properbly lower, they could also spread out their cost to monthly basis.

Posted

[quote name='episode' timestamp='1335181096' post='594817639']Exaggerate much? I agree with your premise, but its not $5500.[/quote] The full retail Master Collection is that much. The "upgrade" version is around $2500-$3000. Assuming you spent $5000 at least once, only then you quality for upgrades.

Posted

Surprisingly cheaper than I would have ever expected from Adobe...

On that note though, what's with Muse and Edge not being in the Web Design package? Does that strike anyone else as odd?
1 person likes this

Posted

[/quote]

Agreed. Their pricing model is ridiculous.

Posted

[quote name='M_Lyons10' timestamp='1335188103' post='594817853']
Agreed. Their pricing model is ridiculous.
[/quote]

Their products are aimed at creative professionals and organizations, not consumers whose needs can be met by Paint.NET, Windows Movie Maker, or one of the many free/low cost alternatives. For people making full use of those products (as opposed to wanting to use something fancy for the sake of it), the price tag is not as "ridiculous" as it seems.

How many of those people who pirate Adobe software would have paid for it if it's $200 instead of $2000? Ten times as many people? I don't think so. Even then it wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of supporting 10x as many customers.
1 person likes this

Posted

[/quote]
[quote name='remixedcat' timestamp='1335179694' post='594817593']
It would also decrease piracy. they have a 70% piracy rate I believe.

I wonder if they do that as more of a market saturation control rather though... make it expensive so there's less people doing it and less competition in the design arena.
[/quote]

Now, let's just go over the math for a second. Selling at $100-$200, Adobe would have to sell 28-55 copies to generate the same revenue as one sale at the current price. Now, let's assume this new price eliminates piracy completely (which it won't). At 70% piracy, for every 1 copy sold today, there will be 3.33 sales. So, for every copy selling today at $5500 Adobe would now sell 3.33 copies at $333 to $666 total.

Please explain to me how this is a good business plan?
1 person likes this

Posted

This is not actually that bad of a deal for the monthly charges, that would help smaller companies that do not want to have to shell out a large sum for the suit.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Yuxi' timestamp='1335188633' post='594817861']
Their products are aimed at creative professionals and organizations, not consumers who can just use Paint.NET or Windows Movie Maker. For the people making full use of those products (as opposed to using something fancy for the sake of it), the price tag is not as "ridiculous" as it seems.

How many of those people who pirate Adobe software would have paid for it if it's $200 instead of $2000? Ten times as many people? I don't think so.
[/quote]

I think a lot more people would pay for it, absolutely. Let me make clear that I have never pirated ANY product, and would not condone doing so. However, when you have a piracy issue as bad as Adobe does, I think you need to approach the problem subjectively. I am anti-piracy. I'm a software developer myself. I certainly don't like it. But there's a certain point where you price your product at a price point in which more consumers would find it appropriate. Then they play games like breaking HTML5 web development out into its own program rather than build it into Dreamweaver (Where it should be)... And then not even include this new tool with the Web Design Premium package? You would almost think this was done to irritate customers.

And for this cost, are the improvements version to version worth it? I've been using Adobe products for a long time, and though CS5 I thought had some nice improvements, I am generally underwhelmed version to version. If the price point were more reasonable, these improvements would be acceptable.

Posted

[quote name='giantpotato' timestamp='1335188990' post='594817877']
Now, let's just go over the math for a second. Selling at $100-$200, Adobe would have to sell 28-55 copies to generate the same revenue as one sale at the current price. Now, let's assume this new price eliminates piracy completely (which it won't). At 70% piracy, for every 1 copy sold today, there will be 3.33 sales. So, for every copy selling today at $5500 Adobe would now sell 3.33 copies at $333 to $666 total.

Please explain to me how this is a good business plan?
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, how do you figure there would be 3.33 sales?

Posted

Rip off UK

Posted

[quote name='M_Lyons10' timestamp='1335189510' post='594817893']
Just out of curiosity, how do you figure there would be 3.33 sales?
[/quote]

Using the numbers posted previously 30% being purchased legitimately, 70% being pirated. Assuming all pirated copies are now purchased: 30% * 3.33 = 100%

Posted

lolwut? how 49$ is equivalent to 47

Posted

[quote name='giantpotato' timestamp='1335191307' post='594817951']
Assuming all pirated copies are now purchased
[/quote]

Now that's music/game publisher's wet dream :rofl:

Posted

[quote name='xpclient' timestamp='1335187517' post='594817835']
The full retail Master Collection is that much. The "upgrade" version is around $2500-$3000. Assuming you spent $5000 at least once, only then you quality for upgrades.
[/quote]

Um.. upgrade is not $2500-$3000.. where do you people draw these numbers from. Full CS5.5 Master Suite was $2500. Upgrade was $500 if you had the previous version. And it has been that for a while.
1 person likes this

Posted

So wait, are you people arguing that it's TOO CHEAP to own an Adobe products and you are bitching about it? Not sure I fully understand the deal here

Posted

Posted

[quote name='Uplift' timestamp='1335192360' post='594818003']

Posted

[quote name='stevember' timestamp='1335192545' post='594818005']
Where did you see that?
[/quote]

http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/products/creativecloud.html