New Build (In a few months time) Processor confusion

My current build is still going strong, I'm just getting sick of it and want to build a new rig.

Because my PC has been fine I've not really paid attention to processors in a while and getting confused with them!

I think I've narrowed it down but still not sure.

I don't have a huge budget but I'm thinking is this okay?

Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz - It's a socket 2011 whatever that is?!?! - ?232.17

Just getting confused with all this sandybridge, ivy bridge, rusted bridge etc

Or is the

Intel Core i& 2600k 3.4 GHz Socket 1155 better? ?238.86

I do like to think I know about computers but sorry if it's blatently obvious that one is much better then another, like I said I've not really paid attention for a few years

When is Ivy Bridge coming out though? I've been looking any everyones said today but don't see any places selling it yet.

Plus arnt they going to be rather expensive?

Wait for Ivy bridge it'll be out this month or next with socket 2011...you probably won't need an i7, i5 should be fine (and save some money) unless you want some insane build.

I wouldn?t bet on huge performance gains with Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge. It?s a die shrink, not a new architecture. Beyond improvements to the integrated graphics, the performance gains will be from the wiggle room Intel is given working with smaller, cooler transistors.

That being said, since you?re not in any pressing need to upgrade, you could wait for Ivy Bridge to release. Intel hasn?t given any release date as far as I know, so you might be waiting a few months depending on what they do.

Some things to keep in mind: Intel has decided to split their ?mainstream? and ?high-end? markets into two sockets. Sandy Bridge runs on LGA 1155 and is meant for low end and mainstream systems. Sandy Bridge E runs on LGA 2011 and is meant for high end systems. In general Sandy Bridge E processors tend to be more powerful than Sandy Bridge processors, but there?s some cross over.

Ivy Bridge is going to be the 22nm shrink of Sandy Bridge, it?s (semi-)backwards compatible with current LGA 1155 motherboards, so you can buy a LGA 1155 board right now and you should be able to install and run Ivy Bridge when it comes out. Ivy Bridge, like Sandy Bridge, will be for low end and mainstream systems. I have doubts that Ivy Bridge will outperform Sandy Bridge E.

Intel has been very sketchy on information about a 22nm shrink of Sandy Bridge E (what I would assume they would call Ivy Bridge E). It?s possible it could come out at a much later time, closer to Haswell (Intel?s next architecture). It may or may not be supported by current LGA 2011 boards.

I wouldn?t bet on huge performance gains with Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge. It?s a die shrink, not a new architecture. Beyond improvements to the integrated graphics, the performance gains will be from the wiggle room Intel is given working with smaller, cooler transistors.

That being said, since you?re not in any pressing need to upgrade, you could wait for Ivy Bridge to release. Intel hasn?t given any release date as far as I know, so you might be waiting a few months depending on what they do.

Some things to keep in mind: Intel has decided to split their ?mainstream? and ?high-end? markets into two sockets. Sandy Bridge runs on LGA 1155 and is meant for low end and mainstream systems. Sandy Bridge E runs on LGA 2011 and is meant for high end systems. In general Sandy Bridge E processors tend to be more powerful than Sandy Bridge processors, but there?s some cross over.

Ivy Bridge is going to be the 22nm shrink of Sandy Bridge, it?s (semi-)backwards compatible with current LGA 1155 motherboards, so you can buy a LGA 1155 board right now and you should be able to install and run Ivy Bridge when it comes out. Ivy Bridge, like Sandy Bridge, will be for low end and mainstream systems. I have doubts that Ivy Bridge will outperform Sandy Bridge E.

Intel has been very sketchy on information about a 22nm shrink of Sandy Bridge E (what I would assume they would call Ivy Bridge E). It?s possible it could come out at a much later time, closer to Haswell (Intel?s next architecture). It may or may not be supported by current LGA 2011 boards.

A 20%+ improvement is actually pretty sizable. The tri-gate transistors on the Ivy Bridge have already been proven to be a huge step forward.

A 20%+ improvement is actually pretty sizable. The tri-gate transistors on the Ivy Bridge have already been proven to be a huge step forward.

Benchmark?

Edit: So, I found this benchmark. Which is showing 5% to 15% performance gain. Keep in mind, that isn't a recent article, so it's probably on non-final hardware.

There aren't much performance improvements in the processor department. An average of 15 - 20% at max.

However, the HD 2500 and 4000 GPU are the interesting part. They are going to bring huge performance improvements over 2000 and 3000.

Should be interesting

Another question which I completely forgot power supply.

I have and cant be bothered to upgraded 2 Nvidia GTX260's, I want to SLI them (aslong as 3 monitors work) I want the correct power supply for this.

I have loyalty to Corsair, which one from the following link will work fine?

http://www.ebuyer.co...9&filtermfr=320

I currently have a 600w I believe, but it doesn't do SLI because it doesn't have enough of the PCI-e power connectors?

I need a PSU with 4 PCI-E power connectors, is that correct?

If so is this fine for SLI http://www.ebuyer.com/164951-corsair-850w-hx-modular-psu-cmpsu-850hxuk

I have and cant be bothered to upgraded 2 Nvidia GTX260's, I want to SLI them (aslong as 3 monitors work) I want the correct power supply for this.

I currently have a 600w I believe, but it doesn't do SLI because it doesn't have enough of the PCI-e power connectors?

If so is this fine for SLI http://www.ebuyer.co...u-cmpsu-850hxuk

Corsair makes excellent PSUs. Though you can get a modular OCZ or Thermaltake for much cheaper with the same great quality.

:D

Can someone confirm/deny that a Corsair HX750 can run two Nvidia GTX260 SLI'd, or would I need a more powerful PSU like the HX850?

Also if I SLI two graphics card together can I use 3 monitors? I asked a question few years back and it wasn't possible appratenely

If so is this fine for SLI http://www.ebuyer.co...u-cmpsu-850hxuk

Curious, why stick with the 2x 260's in SLI? You could just get 1x 560, might be comparable to performance of the SLI'd 260's. Then you are saving on power, case space, heat generation, etc... I think you can do 3 monitors on them.. or maybe that is ATI cards only.

Curious, why stick with the 2x 260's in SLI? You could just get 1x 560, might be comparable to performance of the SLI'd 260's. Then you are saving on power, case space, heat generation, etc... I think you can do 3 monitors on them..

I think he already said he's got two of them

Yer I've already got two of them.

I've currently got one working but I bought another one a few monthsl ater, only to find out that I can't fit two on my current Bad Axe mobo and the PSU is not up to the task.

This is why I want to be sure :)

The main advantage of Ivy Bridge is the significantly better memory bandwidth. The caveat is that most applications don't benefit significantly from that bandwidth.

Yer I've already got two of them.

I've currently got one working but I bought another one a few monthsl ater, only to find out that I can't fit two on my current Bad Axe mobo and the PSU is not up to the task.

This is why I want to be sure :)

A 750W will be fine. I'm running GTX 570s in SLI and don't have any issues with my 750W PSU.

As long as you don't have like 12 hard drives also connected, you should be good to go. :)

^ My situation isn't 100% clear (never is) basically I'll still want to use my current PC for some use, so therefore my current PSU will be used still, so I'll need a new one anyway

but I'll be taking my WD Raptor and GTX from my current PC :p