Mother arrested for honour killing in Patna

PATNA: In a suspected honour killing, a woman strangled to death her daughter for having married against her wishes in Patna. The mother was arrested Sunday.

Naznin Bano alias Rani, 22, a MSc (Bio-tech) student of commerce college, was found dead at her abandoned residence located on the outskirts Badi Khagaul here on Friday.

The case took a twist when Naznin's lover, Mohammad Mahfooz, Friday lodged an FIR (first information report) saying it was an honour killing.

Patna Superintendent of Police Kim Sharma said that Shamima Bano, mother of the victim, was arrested Sunday after she confessed her involvement in the murder of her daughter.

According to a police official Kamod Prasad, Naznin was first hit on the head while asleep and then strangulated.

"Prima facie, it appears that she was killed after she eloped with Mahfooz and married on April 16 against parents' wishes," said Prasad.

Mahffooz informed police that Naznin had even filed a petition before the court of additional chief judicial magistrate at Danapur on April 17, apprehending her parents might eliminate her.

Naznin and Mahffooz were studying in the same college in Khagaul, where they fell in love and decided to get married.

Police are investigating the case to ascertain role of other family members in the killing.

Link

This is the stuff that sickens me. You kill your own daughter for "honour" and her "crime" was marrying someone she loved? The local papers have further elaborated on this fact. The mother said she had already planned to kill her daughter before inviting her to home after her marriage. And it took place before a ten year old cousin of her! The girl kept crying to him for help but the mother asked him to hold her legs still. The poor kid just froze and didn't know how to respond. After the incident, he was sent to his parents and told to keep quiet. The mother said she couldn't see her marry someone other than what she chose and therefore killed her. Now, she wants to die too. It would have been better if she just killed herself and let her daughter live in peace. What did killing both her and herself achieve?

I am so sad that people still kill over the caste and religion differences. That's why I hate religion, it creates more problems than it solves(if any). It creates differences. Being human is like too mainstream now? I am sad that my parents are also like this. Though they won't go to the extent of killing, they simply refused a boy my sister wanted to marry because he is of different caste although they love each other. Both of them are very mature person and in a very good job and earning a nice salary. They threaten to cut her off the family and to never talk to her again. And she loves them too much to go against their will and I think she will choose to compromise soon. If only they could understand her love and sacrifice for them! I just hope I would be able to convince them before she changes her mind. But why should anybody listen to me, I am a kid and therefore stupid and wrong, right? What do I know and what does my opinion matter?

Honor or otherwise the killing of anyone let alone your own child is horrible.

This stupid "honor killing" is absolutely the most horrible worst of crimes. :cry: