Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0 final on Windows Update

What option are you worried about? As I don't use enough to know, but I can see if it is in my 4 install...

Someone may remember more, but the Real-time protection section had been reduced to a simple on/off.

Options for "Default actions", "Scheduled scan", "Limit CPU usage during scan to _ %", and some "Real time protection options" (Scan all downloads, Monitor file and program activity, Enable behavior monitoring") are missing/removed (read "simplified") compared to MSE 3.

Options for "Default actions", "Scheduled scan", "Limit CPU usage during scan to _ %", and some "Real time protection options" (Scan all downloads, Monitor file and program activity, Enable behavior monitoring") are missing/removed (read "simplified") compared to MSE 3.

Default actions, and scheduled scan are exactly the same. Limit CPU usage during scan exists just like it did too.

But yes some of the real time protection options have been removed to just on or off. And honestly (apart from behavior monitoring) that makes sense, whats the point of enabling real time protection if you're going to disable monitor file and program activity and scan all downloads? Might as well just disable real time at that point and run scheduled scans.

What? ###### are you on? They're still there on mine.

Windows 8. They're gone, ut the functionality is still there. We'll have to wait and see what Defender in the RC brings. I'm still waiting for a tray icon myself.

Looks like on Windows 7, the some options returned from the beta. The options gone are: "Scan all downloads", "Enable behavior monitoring" and "Monitor incoming/outgoing/all file and program activity". I used to turn off the option for file and program activity for more performance because everything downloaded from the internet is scanned anyways as long as "Scan all downloads" was checked. :(

It's more "simplified" on Windows 8 but of course you can no longer install MSE 4.0. MSE 2.1 installs but it will go out of support - no virus definitions then. Looks like I will have to find an AV that doesn't go backwards on options. I liked MSE because it was so minimal and non-intrusive, now it's turning non-configurable.

Looks like on Windows 7, the some options returned from the beta. The options gone are: "Scan all downloads", "Enable behavior monitoring" and "Monitor incoming/outgoing/all file and program activity". I used to turn off the option for file and program activity for more performance because everything downloaded from the internet is scanned anyways as long as "Scan all downloads" was checked. :(

What type of ancient computer do you have? My 1.8ghz core 2 duo laptop had no noticeable performance issues with MSE on both Vista / 7. On my i7 laptop, takes up 56mb ram and 0% processor usage when its sitting in the background with real time scanning on.

The only option that should have been left was enable behavior monitoring as that can sometimes cause issues. If you want to disable the others, just go ahead and disable real time scanning all together since you've pretty much just made it useless.

It's more "simplified" on Windows 8 but of course you can no longer install MSE 4.0. MSE 2.1 installs but it will go out of support - no virus definitions then.

Oh look another shameless self plug about your blog. :rolleyes:

Just because you don't miss those options, you again start attacking me. I don't have an ancient computer. Do you know about AutoHotkey? MSE has an issue with AutoHotkey which causes it to hang and cause massive CPU consumption with any AutoHotkey compiled/EXE script? MSE thinks all AutoHotkey compiled EXEs are malicious software. It's been there since the very first version and I have reported it on Connect dozens of times. not fixed yet. With the options that were there, like "Scan only incoming files" and unchecking the "Enable behavior monitoring" unchecked, the hanging issue went away. Now, not only have they not fixed the hanging issue for 4 versions but they have taken away a useful option. Clearly, quality is not something MSE has. You are defending that they have done good by taking those options away. Seems like your only motive is to attack anyone who finds an issue with the release of new MS software because you are completely satisfied with it. :rolleyes:

Just because you don't miss those options, you again start attacking me. I don't have an ancient computer. Do you know about AutoHotkey? MSE has an issue with AutoHotkey which causes it to hang and cause massive CPU consumption with any AutoHotkey compiled/EXE script? MSE thinks all AutoHotkey compiled EXEs are malicious software. It's been there since the very first version and I have reported it on Connect dozens of times. not fixed yet. With the options that were there, like "Scan only incoming files" and unchecking the "Enable behavior monitoring" unchecked, the hanging issue went away. Now, not only have they not fixed the hanging issue for 4 versions but they have taken away a useful option. Clearly, quality is not something MSE has. You are defending that they have done good by taking those options away. Seems like your only motive is to attack anyone who finds an issue with the release of new MS software because you are completely satisfied with it. :rolleyes:

You do realize there's a lovely setting called exclude files / settings / programs / processes right?

You know what those lovely settings do? They tell MSE to exclude those files / folders / programs / processes from being scanned. So add your auto-hotkey into there.

And you know what else? That's called behavioral monitoring, and guess what I said:

The only option that should have been left was enable behavior monitoring as that can sometimes cause issues.

Learn to read next time.

Weird I installed the latest version from the website on this computer back in July of last year, and its only 2.1..

Security Essentials Version: 2.1.1116.0

Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8402.0

Engine Version: 1.1.8304.0

Antivirus definition: 1.125.425.0

Antispyware definition: 1.125.425.0

Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.0.8001.0

Network Inspection System Definition Version: 11.0.0.0

Updated;

Security Essentials Version: 4.0.1526.0

Antimalware Client Version: 4.0.1526.0

I've installed MSE on like 8-9 PC's from the website in the last 2 months and all are 2.1 I'm sure. What happened to 3? When was it released.

Those "lovely settings" don't work even if I define all sorts of path-based, process-based or file-based exclusions. It still hangs. Learn to be a little more polite next time. O wait, you have been offensively rude before numerous times, no use trying to tell you to be polite then.

Those "lovely settings" don't work even if I define all sorts of path-based, process-based or file-based exclusions. It still hangs. Learn to be a little more polite next time. O wait, you have been offensively rude before numerous times, no use trying to tell you to be polite then.

Well maybe next time you should actually read my post, you know the part where I agreed with what you were talking about even before you had to go on a long rant about it.

And unlike you, I don't shamelessly keep making forum topics and posts about my blog.

Someone may remember more, but the Real-time protection section had been reduced to a simple on/off.

Looks like that change is still in place in Final.

post-16763-0-51771900-1335372919.png

What? ###### are you on? They're still there on mine.

Windows 8. They're gone, ut the functionality is still there. We'll have to wait and see what Defender in the RC brings. I'm still waiting for a tray icon myself.

i don't so much care about the tray icon myself in windows 8 as I want the context menu option to scan a specific file back

Weird I installed the latest version from the website on this computer back in July of last year, and its only 2.1..

Security Essentials Version: 2.1.1116.0

Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8402.0

Updated;

Security Essentials Version: 4.0.1526.0

Antimalware Client Version: 4.0.1526.0

I've installed MSE on like 8-9 PC's from the website in the last 2 months and all are 2.1 I'm sure. What happened to 3? When was it released.

yeah, they skipped version 3 for some reason, they went straight from 2 to 4

OK so I installed it on my bootcamp XP partition yesterday. I've booted back into it again, left it there for a while, checked and it hasn't updated the definitions since installation yesterday. So I check for updates and have to go through the Microsoft Update site in IE to find out there's a 64.8MB definitions update sitting there.

1) How is it supposed to detect if it doesn't keep it's definitions up-to-date.

2) 64.8MB. Really?

3) It was actually 64.8KB. MS need to work on their site.

4) Refer to 1).

OK so I installed it on my bootcamp XP partition yesterday. I've booted back into it again, left it there for a while, checked and it hasn't updated the definitions since installation yesterday. So I check for updates and have to go through the Microsoft Update site in IE to find out there's a 64.8MB definitions update sitting there.

1) How is it supposed to detect if it doesn't keep it's definitions up-to-date.

2) 64.8MB. Really?

3) It was actually 64.8KB. MS need to work on their site.

4) Refer to 1).

You can click "updates" without having to download it through Windows Update.

And I don't know about you but mine automatically updates daily.

Yeah manual updating will have to do. Tying definitions into the Windows Update cycle isn't a great idea for those who don't run their PC all the time. If you turn it on after the scheduled WU check it doesn't do anything. Fine for a security update or hotfix, but not for an antivirus product that should be kept constantly up-to-date.

It'll do for me as I don't use XP all that often but it's things like this that make antivirus solutions hard for me to recommend to others.

Funny enough I don't think that Update button was there when I looked. It's pretty hard to miss.