Missouri teen charged with setting child on fire

SAVANNAH, MO ? A teenager appeared in court Monday for allegedly pouring gasoline on a child and then setting that child on fire.

The child sustained first- and second-degree burns on his face, right arm and in his nose and throat on April 19. The child was transferred from Heartland Regional Medical Center to the Kansas University Hospital burn center for treatment.

The state charged Joseph Gardner, 17, with first-degree assault for the alleged burning. Court records alleged that the teenager threatened to hit the child in the face unless he let Mr. Gardner pour the gasoline. Mr. Gardner allegedly threatened to murder the child and his family if he told anyone about his bullying.

According to a probable cause statement filed by Tommy Hudson, an Andrew County sheriff?s deputy, after allegedly setting the child on fire, the defendant stood there and laughed.

Associate Circuit Judge Mike Ordnung set bond for the defendant at $150,000 and supplied paperwork for the defendant to file for a public defender.

Despite being advised that anything he said could and would be used against him, Mr. Gardner tried to explain his actions to the judge. Mr. Ordnung repeatedly ordered the defendant to be quiet.

Mr. Ordnung ordered deputies to return Mr. Gardner to court in May. The defendant remains in the Andrew County Jail in lieu of posting a bond.

source

Just. What?

I can't imagine what kind of warped mind can conceive of this. I don't like kids, but, damn.

IF I was his family, I wouldn't bail is ass out either. That teen needs to be locked up!

That is messed up. I don't think anything can be done to help people like this.

"after allegedly setting the child on fire, the defendant stood there and laughed"

Watda f is wrong with this guy... setting someone on fire is very bad, but standing there laughing while the child is in agony and their entire life is changed - thats some f'ed up ****

Lock him up and throw away the key.

Oh HELL NO!!!! F'ing serial killer in training :angry: :angry:

Lock that m**********r up and melt the damned key!!

Better yet, lock him in a room with the kids relatives and suspend all laws for 15 minutes.