Google picks Samsung for 4th generation Nexus phone

Google picks Samsung for 4th generation Nexus phone

Now that Google has re-opened their online devices store, it appears the Nexus brand is here to stay. Google typically releases a new Nexus device every year, so speculation has already begun about who will produce the 4th generation Nexus phone.

According to Digitimes sources, Samsung has won the contract for Google?s next phone. They report, ?Since Samsung has become the top vendor of Android smartphones, Google will continue to have Samsung develop its next-generation Nexus models, leveraging Samsung?s innovation ability with regard to the Android platform, and its ability to control the supply of key components.?

We anticipate that Google wants to launch their 4th gen Nexus in Q4 2012, so look for the device to be a spin-off of the Galaxy S III. Samsung is scheduled to unveil the next Galaxy on May 3rd, so we don?t have much longer to wait.

As always, I?m curious what you think about Google?s pick. Which handset maker would you choose to produce the next Nexus?

Source: Android and Me

They are an excellent choice, however, i am still confused as to why they do not use Motorola as they have recently purchased them.

Why would they not choose Motorola, maybe they are waiting for the next big change in Android for that. Personally Samsung phones look good but they don't feel amazing but they are the biggest name around at the moment.

Why would they not choose Motorola, maybe they are waiting for the next big change in Android for that. Personally Samsung phones look good but they don't feel amazing but they are the biggest name around at the moment.

That's what I was going to post - they bought Motorola mobile - so why not Motorola? I'm personally sick of Samsung Nexus phones - they just don't make nice phones (Yes, I own a Galaxy Nexus). I prefer HTC myself - the Nexus One was my last favorite Nexus.

Why would they pick Samsung twice in a row? The Galaxy Nexus is Samsung... I'd love to see another HTC Nexus. Don't care too much for motorola... They may have great build quality, but I think they're ugly as sin...

I think they purchased Motorola because of all the patents they own. And as for the news of Samsung making the next nexus that makes me soo happy!! Every Motorola device I have owned was terrible and I was afraid they would ruin the next Nexus release but if it's in Samsungs very capable hands then I am definitely getting this phone as an upgrade to my SGS2 :D

Galaxy S2 disagrees!

Personally, I think there is nothing to brag about on GS2. There is nothing special outside of the fact that it's overhyped and has big community. It's just another phone
  • Like 1

They are an excellent choice, however, i am still confused as to why they do not use Motorola as they have recently purchased them.

If they have picked Motorola this thread will be with questions or criticism like this "Oh now Google is playing the favorite game with Motorola since they bought them" Just pointing out the facts.

I think they purchased Motorola because of all the patents they own. And as for the news of Samsung making the next nexus that makes me soo happy!! Every Motorola device I have owned was terrible and I was afraid they would ruin the next Nexus release but if it's in Samsungs very capable hands then I am definitely getting this phone as an upgrade to my SGS2 :D

Pretty much, to fend off Apple and Microsoft, but, they'd be stupid not to use it to it's full potential (new range of Android 5.0 flagship devices perhaps)? ;)

Personally, I think there is nothing to brag about on GS2. There is nothing special outside of the fact that it's overhyped and has big community. It's just another phone

Have you owned one?

If they have picked Motorola this thread will be with questions or criticism like this "Oh now Google is playing the favorite game with Motorola since they bought them" Just pointing out the facts.

Perhaps from others (probably mostly trolls), but I would understand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Motorola the only (main) company NOT picked so far? I know HTC did the Nexus One, and Samsung the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus... nothing from motorla... and they're the company that really helped get Android started with the OG Droid and Eris.

Come to think of it doesn't this make 3 in a row for Samsung? Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and then whatever new comes out... If anything that seems like favoritism...

Perhaps from others (probably mostly trolls), but I would understand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Motorola the only (main) company NOT picked so far? I know HTC did the Nexus One, and Samsung the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus... nothing from motorla... and they're the company that really helped get Android started with the OG Droid and Eris.

Come to think of it doesn't this make 3 in a row for Samsung? Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and then whatever new comes out... If anything that seems like favoritism...

"Perhaps from others (probably mostly trolls), but I would understand." Yes, definitely from others(trolls). I am not saying these people will do it.

Sony, Motorola and LG are still not picked and there was a news about Asus/HTC trying to win the bid!!

I understand the frustration about other manufacturer not getting picked but mind it its still rumor!!

Yeah, because having a big community is a bad thing...

When you put it that way, EVERY phone is "just another phone". :rolleyes:

Yeah, because having a big community is a bad thing...

When you put it that way, EVERY phone is "just another phone". :rolleyes:

I said there is nothing special outside of the fact that it has a big community, implying I think that's a good thing. Learn how to read.

"Perhaps from others (probably mostly trolls), but I would understand." Yes, definitely from others(trolls). I am not saying these people will do it.

Sony, Motorola and LG are still not picked and there was a news about Asus/HTC trying to win the bid!!

I understand the frustration about other manufacturer not getting picked but mind it its still rumor!!

Well it is rumored that ASUS is doing the Nexus Tablet,

And isn't LG a newcomer to the Android market? I haven't really heard anything from them until recently.

I did forget about Sony, and wouldn't mind seeing a Sony Xperia Nexus, but I still think Motorola should get a crack at it first. I really believe that Android wouldn't have taken off as well as it did without them. ** At least not in the North American market...

(And note... I'm not even a motorola fan... I think all their phones are fugly, but they do have good build quality. Would just like to see them get a shot at a nexus)

To me it is not a matter of favorites. The product plan for the Nexus line is that it is a pure Google experience, what better way to have full control of the device than to use a company you now own to manufacture that device.

To me it is not a matter of favorites. The product plan for the Nexus line is that it is a pure Google experience, what better way to have full control of the device than to use a company you now own to manufacture that device.

While I see your point, I hope they don't go that route. I would rather see them rotate companies. HTC makes one for 2012, Samsung 2013, Motorola 2014, etc... that way it helps out all phone developers equally and allows them all to have a flagship phone.

It may not be the ideal way of doing things, but it's how I'd like to see it.

Why would they pick Samsung twice in a row?

Not twice... three times. Samung has made the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and now apparently the upcoming Nexus.

Wait. But I thought everything was going to be Motorola from now on. At least that is what I heard from a lot of "experts" on this site. /s

I said there is nothing special outside of the fact that it has a big community, implying I think that's a good thing. Learn how to read.

Galaxy S2 had the highest specs, it was thinner than iPhone, had a gorgeous SuperAMOLED+ 4.3" screen, 1gb of ram, 4G and it was super snappy, has great cameras and just works very fast and smooth and battery is on par or if not better than iPhone.

I owned a Galaxy S2 and I have Galaxy Nexus now. Even though I love the Nexus, I still miss the Galaxy S2 sometimes because it was so light and thin.

Not to mention that Galaxy S2 was hands down better than iPhone 4 and Apple managed to play catch up with iPhone 4S.

Well it is rumored that ASUS is doing the Nexus Tablet,

Would really really like this to be true. ASUS is to me the best CE manufacturer with quick updates to OS and they overall build quality products.

I love my GS2, it's definitely better than most phones on the market.

The phone has been great since I got it and it still feels like a great phone. Even with all these new phones coming out, I don't feel the need (like the last HTC I owned) to go out and purchase something new.

If they use Motorola as the HW provider, they could be accused of unfair business practices as Motorola would have first access to Google's "product", if you will. By choosing an outside source for hardware they can somewhat deflect accusations of monopolistic behaviour.

I mean, is our memory so short that we've forgot the "Wintel" debacle? ... and that was between two separate compaines....

Would you be as surprised if Microsoft bought Dell, and then "let" HP be the first with next new Windows Server release?

Not twice... three times. Samung has made the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and now apparently the upcoming Nexus.

so what? Samsung is a preferred Android manufacturer according to a survey.. If majority people prefer Samsung then it make sense to go with samsung. Do you own an Android phone? or are you just a Iphone/WP7 user trying to troll here? Not trying to offend you but just curious.