Few major lottery jackpot winners get to be anonymous

Note to the Kansas and Maryland winners of last month's $656 million lottery jackpot: Count your anonymous blessings.

The states, where ticket holders claimed their $218.6 million portions in anonymity, are two of only six states that allow lottery winners' names to remain secret.

Officials in states other than Kansas, Maryland, Delaware, Michigan, North Dakota and Ohio make public the names of lottery winners, with rare exceptions. Most see the identities of winners as a matter of public record subject to open-records law while others say revealing the names adds to the lottery's credibility and encourages others to play.

"People like to see the people who are actually winning," said Katy Smith, a spokeswoman from the Oklahoma Lottery. "If we don't let people know people are winning, then that raises questions."

Mike Lang, an Illinois Lottery spokesman, agrees and says winners in his state must come forward publicly "unless there is a compelling reason not to."

That's why, last week, everyone learned at a news conference that Merle and Patricia Butler, a retired couple from Red Bud, Ill., will take home $110.5 million in Mega Millions winnings after taxes. The two claimed the third and final portion of last month's jackpot in public, per Illinois Lottery rules, Lang said.

States that publicize winner's names do so for commercial reasons rather than public good, said Andrew Stoltmann, an attorney who has represented lottery winners.

"It's a horrible rule for states to force winners to come forward," he said. "The single-best commercial that the lottery has is the press conference that winners hold discussing how the lottery winnings have changed their lives. ... There's a real disconnect between the interest of the lottery officials and the winners. The best thing a winner can do is remain anonymous."

Lottery officials nationwide, however, maintain that games involve public funds and as such are subject to disclosure laws just like any other matter handled by governments. Exceptions are made in some cases. In Illinois and North Carolina, people with restraining orders and other extreme cases can remain anonymous. In Florida, law enforcement officers can be kept secret.

In states like Colorado, Connecticut and Vermont, winners can bypass having their names released by claiming winnings through a trust or a limited liability company. However, at least one state, Oregon, forbids such practices and requires that individuals come forward.

source

Who cares? If I won I wouldn't give a crap who knew. Just a matter of changing a few things I guess (phone #, address, etc.).

I guess. It kind of does make you a giant target...

if i won i would get the hell out of my town/state asap

say i won $20 mill after taxes i would do the following

1 = buy a house $150,000 to $500,000 from 2000 to now

2 = pay off all my bills/debt around $45,000

3 = get dental work done

4 = put $10 mill into the bank & let the money grow

5 = buy rental properties & make money

6 = limit my spending to only $5,000 a month. thats 1.5 mill after 25 years

some people who win blow it on stupid stuff & end up broke after 5 years

Who cares? If I won I wouldn't give a crap who knew. Just a matter of changing a few things I guess (phone #, address, etc.).

LOL.. do you know how many people will "find" you and pretend to be your best friend if they found out? More than you'd ever imagine. You'd get more mail than you could even count.

You would surprised at how many new family members you would have.

You will once family body parts start coming in the mail with the ransom notes.

If i could, I'd claim my winnings anonymously.

Then I'd fake my death and then change my identity.

Then I'd fake my death again just in case.

It is a bit ridiculous to me that you are not always given the option to remain anonymous. Then again, if I wont $476 million I probably wouldn't be compaining about much in life even if I had to share some with IRS, family and all my new "friends"

What if you got a law firm (a reputable one obviously, not Billy's Backdoor Lawyer services) to collect the money for you?

You remain anonymous, lawfirm gets tons of publicity.

You will once family body parts start coming in the mail with the ransom notes.

If i could, I'd claim my winnings anonymously.

Then I'd fake my death and then change my identity.

Then I'd fake my death again just in case.

LOL -- paranoia at it's finest. :laugh: