Mozilla Thunderbird 12.0 released

Maybe because there is nothing wrong with the GUI ?

I guess, if it's not broke, don't fix it. But i'd like to see some Innovation, backend changes can only go so far.

It's an email client. There are only so many ways of how to design the UI of an email client.

Besides, Thunderbird 11.0 introduced one small default UI change: It moved the tabs to the top.

Mozilla-Thunderbird-3.jpg

^^ Indeed.

One thing I would like to see is the "lightning" extension (aka Calendar) being integrated into TB with an option to enable/disable it.

It's an email client. There are only so many ways of how to design the UI of an email client.

Besides, Thunderbird 11.0 introduced one small default UI change: It moved the tabs to the top.

Mozilla-Thunderbird-3.jpg

It looks fine after that change, the problem before was their disgusting use of aero + tabs on the bottom. It looked like firefox 4 alpha did :/ Previous UI had no place in a final release.

Definitely one of my favorite mail clients, just a couple things that I wish they'd take care of.

TBird is very flexible thanks to it's large number of addons (I sorely wish I had AdBlock for Outlook for example to filter out RSS ad spam without having to rely on Yahoo Pipes or the like) but the memory usage is still pretty high.. with my setup it typically runs about 3x or more memory than Outlook 2010. They managed to knock Firefox's memory usage way down, TBird needs some love there.

Just my own opinion, or maybe I'm just too used to Outlook, but not a fan of tabs in a mail client. Or, if they're going to insist on staying with tabs, then at least be consistent about it.. sometimes things are in tabs, sometimes they're in popup windows. For example, why isn't the address book in a tab by default? Need to use an addon for that. Right now it's a half-assed mess.

Lightning's pretty decent, but still relies on a bunch of addons for stuff that it should be doing out of the box. Birthdays in the address book for example, that's just a no-brainer. And I agree with above.. just build it into TBird itself already.

IMO Thunderbird's UI is perfectly functional. It's just really ugly.

Australis looks way better then Thunderbird's current UI.

8RRdO.jpg

They're bringing Australis to Thunderbird. Should give it a much needed UI refresh.

Shame it took this long, I moved over to Postbox.