Egypt?s women urge MPs not to pass early marriage, sex-after-death laws: report

Egypt?s National Council for Women (NCW) has appealed to the Islamist-dominated parliament not to approve two controversial laws on the minimum age of marriage and allowing a husband to have sex with his dead wife within six hours of her death according to a report in an Egyptian newspaper.

The appeal came in a message sent by Dr. Mervat al-Talawi, head of the NCW, to the Egyptian People?s Assembly Speaker, Dr. Saad al-Katatni, addressing the woes of Egyptian women, especially after the popular uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak in February 2011.

She was referring to two laws: one that would legalize the marriage of girls starting from the age of 14 and the other that permits a husband to have sex with his dead wife within the six hours following her death.

According to Egyptian columnist Amro Abdul Samea in al-Ahram, Talawi?s message included an appeal to parliament to avoid the controversial legislations that rid women of their rights of getting education and employment, under alleged religious interpretations.

?Talawi tried to underline in her message that marginalizing and undermining the status of women in future development plans would undoubtedly negatively affect the country?s human development, simply because women represent half the population,? Abdul Samea said in his article.

The controversy about a husband having sex with his dead wife came about after a Moroccan cleric spoke about the issue in May 2011.

Zamzami Abdul Bari said that marriage remains valid even after death adding that a woman also too had the same right to engage in sex with her dead husband.

Two years ago, Zamzami incited further controversy in Morocco when he said it was permissible for pregnant women to drink alcohol.

But it seems his view on partners having sex with their deceased partners has found its way to Egypt one year on.

Egyptian prominent journalist and TV anchor Jaber al-Qarmouty on Tuesday referred to Abdul Samea?s article in his daily show on Egyptian ON TV and criticized the whole notion of ?permitting a husband to have sex with his wife after her death under a so-called ?Farewell Intercourse? draft law.?

?This is very serious. Could the panel that will draft the Egyptian constitution possibly discuss such issues? Did Abdul Samea see by his own eyes the text of the message sent by Talawi to Katatni? This is unbelievable. It is a catastrophe to give the husband such a right! Has the Islamic trend reached that far? Is there really a draft law in this regard? Are there people thinking in this manner??

Many members of the newly-elected, and majority Islamist parliament, have been accused of launching attacks against women?s rights in the country.

They wish to cancel many, if not most, of the laws that promote women?s rights, most notably a law that allows a wife to obtain a divorce without obstructions from her partner. The implementation of the Islamic right to divorce law, also known as the Khula, ended years of hardship and legal battles women would have to endure when trying to obtain a divorce.

Egyptian law grants men the right to terminate a marriage, but grants women the opportunity to end an unhappy or abusive marriages without the obstruction of their partner. Prior to the implementation of the Khula over a decade ago, it could take 10 to 15 years for a woman to be granted a divorce by the courts.

Islamist members of Egyptian parliament, however, accuse these laws of ?aiming to destroy families? and have said it was passed to please the former first lady of the fallen regime, Suzanne Mubarak, who devoted much of her attention to the issues of granting the women all her rights.

The parliamentary attacks on women?s rights has drawn great criticism from women?s organizations, who dismissed the calls and accused the MPs of wishing to destroy the little gains Egyptian women attained after long years of organized struggle.

Source: Al Arabyia News

"allowing a husband to have sex with his dead wife within six hours of her death" WTF!!!! That's called necrophilia, and in most civilized countries that is against the law.

Having sex with the corpse... ! wtf wtf.. !!

Its against the rules of Islam as well as humanity :| what the hell they are smoking out there... !:|

Are there people in the ME who are actually trying to ruin their international reputation, or are they simply bats**t crazy? Jeeezzzz....

Seriously. I'd have a hard time making this kind of **** up.

Egyptians sure f'd themselves over this time. Only last year I was passing by them celebrating their bs freedom in Trafalgar Square.

Its against the rules of Islam as well as humanity :| what the hell they are smoking out there... ! :|

Agreed. And probably the same kind of substances as remixedcat.

Are there people in the ME who are actually trying to ruin their international reputation, or are they simply bats**t crazy? Jeeezzzz....

Even if they wanted to ruin their reputation, I don't think they could make these things up. :s

Besides, I can't see the point of the dead-sex law. Usually, women's rights are almost non-existent in religious states ; sadly, I'd bet Egyptian men who want to rape their wives don't have to wait until they're dead to do so.

There are many things I disliked about Islam while growing up, but I have a tough time believing this is real, let alone it being backed up in religious teachings (I'm referring to the necrophilia aspect, not the underage marriages).

What the hell is wrong with the Egyptian government?

EDIT: Merged

What the hell is wrong with the Egyptian government?

EDIT: Merged

It's Iran all over again - a dictatorship hiding behind religion to replace a dictatorship.

Let's hope they don't elect a "supreme guide" like Iran has, and actually remain a democracy.

Unfortunately, it's not.

Funny the organization said to be complaining about this law doesn't even mention it on their website.

translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ar&u=http://www.ncwegypt.com/&ei=ILSaT6eJGqaiiAfgrfy6Dg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCMQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dnational%2Bcouncil%2Bfor%2Bwomen%2Begypt%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1843%26bih%3D900%26prmd%3Dimvnsu

Keeping it classy in Cairo

Just when you think that things might be taking a turn for the worse in Egypt, the Islamists come along with a new legislative push that completely upends everything you previously thought. TheDC?s Alexandra Myers provides the details of the latest and greatest in Egyptian politics:

?The Islamist majority in Egypt?s parliament introduced a bill this week that would legally allow husbands to have sex with their deceased wives up to six hours after their death, the Daily Mail reports ? The ?farewell intercourse law? is just one in a set that the government is hoping to pass. Others propose legalizing the marriage of girls at age 14 and curtailing women?s rights to education and employment.?

Source

How civilized :x

Stay classy, Islam.

In b4 'omg they are wrong, Islam is against this kind of thing, blah blah blah' the usual rhetoric you get from muslims.

Hahhahaha .. oh man ... I told my wife this a few weeks ago and I got slapped ... it hurt a bit actually ... NOW. ... i am going to show her this and if I sleep outside, Marshall is your fault ...

not Egyptian ... but man this is macabre

What's really sad is that now alot of people who read the article or simply heard about are going to actually believe that Egypt allows you to have sex with dead people.