Rate Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

109 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Crippled my HP Laserjet's at work. :/

See's the printers fine. But nothing prints. Happens on multiple printers and machines. Le'Sigh.

I'm not sure what the cause is. Though I also have the same problem since 11.04(ish). Can't print to a USB Samsung Laser printer nor to a Networked HP Colour Laserjet. It says it has successfully printed, but nothing happens except sometimes a light flashes on the Laserjet then stops.

I have resorted (been forced) to not printing which is better on the wallet and the environment.

I don't like either Unity or the new HUD, so I've gone Mint instead, although I don't know what the hell is going on with the dual panels in Lisa :wacko: Running LXDE till they decide on cleaning up the mess.

Anyone got any screenshots of 12.04? Not really interested in installing it (plus only have 300MB free on /) but would like to see what it now looks like.

Disclaimer: this is my opinion only.

I tried a few linux distros and started using Ubuntu about 2006. I really liked the direction it was going. Every new version made improvements.Then they decided to move the window buttons to the left side. Ok, i'll just switch it back. Then they introduced Unity. Ok, i'll log in with gnome. Then they removed that option and lost me. I tried 12.04 and it's just not for me. It's a great distro for beginners, and I rate it a 7 out of 10. I subtract 3 for Unity. lol

I learned a lot from using Ubuntu and I give them credit for introducing people to linux. I think everyone reaches a point where they want their system set up a certain way and move on to another distro. I moved to Arch linux and it's been a good experience.

Also: If Steam and valve games are released for linux, that would be the most awesome thing in a long time. I hope the rumours are true. :)

12.04 is the first time I've installed Ubuntu on bare metal since version 6. it's easy to set up and supports all the hardware on a Dell Inspiron 531 I put it on. Getting software is real easy (no more apt) and it's pretty much smooth sailing. I boot into this machine just becasue I like the feel of something different but works.

Also: If Steam and valve games are released for linux, that would be the most awesome thing in a long time. I hope the rumours are true. :)

Once Unreal Engine, CryEngine and Frostbite 2.0 can be converted, I don't see any limitations.

I set up Ubuntu in a Virtual Maschine and I'm impressed how smooth it runs even in there.

Glad to see Rhythmbox coming back as Music Player, and there are also nice visuals as far as I can see in my VM.

While I miss the "old" software center from 11.xx versions, I still can't get many windows applications to work with Wine or PlayOnLinux.

It seems, to me, that the Ubuntu creators are changing their distro to a very new user friendly way, which I don't like as the versions I tried before :(

I would give a solid 7 to this Version, but I believe if I install Ubuntu directly on my PC, it will even better than now.

is still a problem with the gts 360M card ?

ever time i tried to load up ubuntu from 9 on i would get some nasty white rectangles on the boot screen and them nothing :/

Ubuntu used to pioneer usability in the Linux world, IMO it's gone another direction now, I'm not sure what they're really trying to achieve. I've been trying out Linux Mint which seems to have adopted the original Ubuntu philosophy of providing a feature-rich and easy to use distribution, and while the current version (12) feels somewhat incoherent, I do have high hopes for the next version and its new interface, Cinnamon. I've replaced all my Ubuntu VMs with Linux Mint, the transition was very smooth.

been on 12.04 for about 4 days ... and i like it im a no0b to linux or sure but with googles help i have learned a lot so far still basic stuff but im happy

• 2 weeks later...

So far I find Ubuntu to be pretty user-friendly. In previous versions I had to fiddle around in Terminal to get my resolution to stick properly in VMware Fusion, but that has been fixed.

The only issue I ran into when trying to natively boot my iMac into Ubuntu is that for whatever it won't connect my Apple wireless keyboard. The Magic Trackpad works just fine though so it doesn't seem to be a bluetooth driver issue. :/ I've been using it with my old USB Apple Keyboard, but obviously I'd rather use my new one.

I think I should update my feelings a little towards this release. I've upgraded to 12.04 from 11.10 about 6 days ago and had only previously used 12.04 inside a VM.

I was impressed that all my gnome and Unity settings came across from 11.10 successfully. I am also impressed that Compiz isn't taking over my system as much as 11.10 did in terms of memory and CPU usage. There are a lot of new updated packages available in both the server and desktop edition - was pleasantly surprised by the better version of phpMyAdmin available on the servers which remembers user settings like number of rows to display in a table etc. There is also MySQL 5.5 available out of the box.

The application search in Unity seems more consistent. When I type in 'cal' in 11.10 it gave me calculator, but when I searched for 'calc' it would give me LibreOffice Calc. Whereas in 12.04, a search for 'cal' and 'calc' gives me LibreOffice Calc in both instances. Though I would prefer calculator to be the first option - there should be a automated 'ratings' system in place to determine your most used applications IMHO.

I updated 3 servers from 10.10 to 12.04 around the same period. The 'do-release-upgrade' command took care of everything and there wasn't any major problems. I did accidentally write over a few config files on one of the servers which meant it lost AD/LDAP integration - re-configuring Samba, keytabs and the sudoers file fixed it.

Some of the bad points, which relate to the desktop edition:

> Maximising windows on multiple monitors with different resolutions has got to be the most stupidest and freaking annoying bug I have ever seen in Ubuntu. There are tons of threads relating to this since 12.04's release. Basically, if you have a window larger than the smallest resolution of say two monitors (either by X, Y or both X&Y), then it will ONLY maximise on the larger screen even if you're displaying it on the smaller resolution screen (i.e. the window will jump to the larger screen) - this occurs using both the maximise button and the snap feature.

> The HUD is useless at the moment - why was this introduced in an LTS. It conflicts with other programs that use the ALT button etc.

> LibreOffice, oh LibreOffice, where is your global menu (lo-menubar)! I've heard this will be fixed in 12.10 and may actually make the HUD useful.

> Though Compiz is better in this version, it is still a POS. I've also heard that it could be removed in 12.10 - though it'll be like developing Unity all over again if they do (remember the development problems between 11.04 => 11.10 when they went from GTK2 to GTK3, it'll be like that but worse).

> Not Ubuntu's fault, but VMWare Workstation is pretty broken and requires Community patches to compile kernel modules.

Rating: 7/10. Apologies for the long post - someone may find it "interesting" to read :)

This was the first time I have really used a Linux distro and I think it's really great.

What pushed me to try Linux in the first place ironically enough was Windows. I downloaded the Windows 8 Consumer Preview to try and after using that I was incredibly disappointed and frustrated with the direction that Windows was going so I started looking at alternatives for my day to day usage and found Ubuntu (I still use Windows to game but 99% of the time i'm in Linux).

I don't know how the other Linux builds stand up against this but my experience with this OS is definitely 10/10

It's fast, reliable and looks great I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that it's odd that Canonical decided to release some test technologies in a LTS release.

Well until i see some nice UI in linux i will never use it.

Even with themes it's pretty bad.

I really hope there will be a working version of photoshop for ubuntu!

Well until i see some nice UI in linux i will never use it.

Even with themes it's pretty bad.

I really hope there will be a working version of photoshop for ubuntu!

Define nice UI for me please!

And working version of photoshop is not gonna happen! Give Gimp a try though!