Walmart greeter helps customer steal TVs

A Walmart greeter was arrested Tuesday after police say he had a hand in stealing two TVs from the store.

On April 16, Frederick Leon Gallimore drove to the Walmart at 7631 Gall Blvd. with a man whose identity is still unknown, a Zephyrhills Police report says. They parked the silver van at the south end of the parking lot.

Once inside, they split up, the report states. Gallimore, 34, clocked in and started his shift. The other man headed for the electronics section. He grabbed two LCD screen TVs, valued at $476, and headed for an exit, police said.

Gallimore, whose job is to check receipts from customers leaving the store, left his post. The other man walked out, the report says. Gallimore followed.

They walked together and loaded the TVs into the van, police said. Gallimore went back to work.

Gallimore was arrested on a felony charge of retail theft. He remained Wednesday in the Land O'Lakes jail in lieu of $2,000 bail.

A manager said Gallimore has been fired from Walmart.

source

The greeter checks receipts?

UK Asda store greeters get in the way, announce things on the speaker system and are always "happy to help". Although I haven't seen any in ages now.

Yep they do when customers exit. At some stores. This is thieft prevention measures. Here at my nearest JB (electronics store), EVERYTIME, I'm asked to show the receipts and he stamps off the receipts as "ITEM TAKEN" (meaning I paid for it and is leaving the store with it).

The only retail store I know in the UK where they have this receipt checking rule is Costco.

Wow, I know theft is an issue but treating ALL customers as potential thieves is just bad practice. Is this a common thing in all retail stores in USA or just Walmart?

Greeters are annoying.

Especially when I have a return, and they must 'stamp' it.

I've noticed at the local Wally, they have greeters less often.

Tiger Direct stores here in Canada also check receipts on way out and they stand right at the exit which is next to the checkout.

The only retail store I know in the UK where they have this receipt checking rule is Costco.

Yeah in Quebec, Canada only Costco and Wallmart do this.

My Wal-Mart does not check receipts of white people.... I think there is some serious racial profiling going on at the local Wal-Marts but there is a lot of theft too and I guess they noticed a pattern? Pretty sad when condoms are in security boxes that you usually see on electronics.... :D

Makro also used to do this but I haven't seen a checker in years now.

Makro also used to do this but I haven't seen a checker in years now.

Best Buy also used to do this in the UK too.

Greeters are annoying.

Especially when I have a return, and they must 'stamp' it.

I've noticed at the local Wally, they have greeters less often.

They do this because people have walked into Walmart, taken something off the shelf or rack and then just brought it over to the service desk and said "yeah, hi, I want to return this, but I don't have the receipt" and then they get money for something they didn't even buy. believe me, it's true.

Not Every Wal-Mart does this. In my area, we can walk in, buy the product, leave with the receipt in the bag or hand and never be checked. The only time you are checked is if you set off the 'Inventory Control System' that goes off all the time. Then, the greeter shuffles over (Ours are Elderly), and checks the receipt, logs it into a book, scowls at the cashier which didn't do their job properly by deactivating the tag and then lets you go. Sometimes, super quick people just walk out and ignore the alarm and never get stopped.

Consumerist had a story a while back that is too long to post here, but it is linked below about a guy which refused to have his receipt checked by Wal-Mart and won. Apparently, it is considered unlawful detainment (kidnapping in some areas), to prevent a customer from leaving:

http://consumerist.com/2011/03/calm-man-successfully-buys-tv-and-denies-walmart-receipt-checkers.html

Every time they try to stop me to 'check' my receipt in walmart or best buy I just keep walking. I get so sick of being inconvenienced because there checkers fail to do their job and de-activate the security tags on DVD's or other products and cause me to have to stand there being treated like a thief until they can find the problem. 9 out of 10 times they wont even bother following me if I just ignore them and keep walking, the only time recently that they even bothered to follow me was when I bought a TV that did not even set off the alarm but I still refused to give them the receipt as its not my job to prove I paid for something, its their job to prove I stole it and involve the police if they feel it necessary.

My Wal-Mart does not check receipts of white people.... I think there is some serious racial profiling going on at the local Wal-Marts but there is a lot of theft too and I guess they noticed a pattern? Pretty sad when condoms are in security boxes that you usually see on electronics.... :D

This is actually pretty common sadly. They have done a lot of hidden camera reporting on this here in Philly over the years...

The problem for the stores is the fact that they tell potential thieves that they are guarding against. Since shoplifting can, and is, done by members of all races you weaken your efforts when you don't apply the same tactics universally. After all, your goal should be to reduce theft no matter who does it.

The anecdotal response to this though is usually "well they must have caught more African Americans, or other non-whites, shoplifting..." I am sure that is very true, you can only see that upon which you open your eyes to see. If you only look for thieves that fit a certain profile then yes you will overwhelmingly see that profile committing the thefts (as you're ignoring the rest!)

UK Asda store greeters get in the way, announce things on the speaker system and are always "happy to help". Although I haven't seen any in ages now.

This is supposed to deter potential thieves as they know they may get caught at the door. I find that when I walk out of most stores they merely stamp the receipt without ever caring to look at what is on it. Which makes sense... You can't realistically check every item on every receipt to be sure it isn't stolen.

I don't get why the retail industry didn't just adopt the "paid" sticker concept that grocery stores use for big items. Would greatly reduce overhead.

Lol yeah, and the greeters are always old and practically senile too,.sometimes even disabled.

I hate how random employees walk up to you and ask if you need help.

it's part of their job, and if they help you with a sale commission can be made from them doing this.

I think it's more annoying when they ask if you need help and then you say yes and can they provide more detail on a device and they don't have a clue!

Wow, I know theft is an issue but treating ALL customers as potential thieves is just bad practice. Is this a common thing in all retail stores in USA or just Walmart?

My dad would always make a big deal about this when leaving and refuse to show his receipt when leaving just based on the principle. I think he just liked making a scene in public :wacko:.

I had an... acquaintance I guess, not really a friend, that would go into Wal-Marts and buy some high priced item, like a TV or laptop. When he left, he would show his receipt, but always start some friendly banter with the greeter/thief checker, as to distract them from highlighting the item on the receipt with a highlighter. He would then turn around, go right back in sometime later, when the greeter has changed or go to the opposite door, pick up the item, and do the same thng. Came out one day with 3 TVs, only one was paid for. He made sure to only do this in Wal-Marts a few towns over.

This was before they started the thing where an employee now walks to the register with you, with the item if it is expensive. Though, there are times where they still don't do it.

The guy was incredibly smart and very charismatic, never understood why he didn't put his "talents" into something worthwhile (legal) with his life. Wonder if he ended up in jail, or is still hustlin'. :p