application

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#16 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:46

Come back and report!

will do, most likely will be tomorrow, all my jobs right now are fresh installs or totally dead laptops

#17 Holey

Holey

IT Support

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:05

Just tried it, not bad as you say ;)

I may add this to my USB drive and run it on machines that come into our workshop as well :)

#18 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:07

Anyway, glad it works, just seems like another pointless program that will also need to be updated.

And what if you have an application that doesn't have an auto-updater function in it or the updating is broken in the application itself?

The lack of a "package management" is one of the many things that originally turned me away from Windows and people still resist it? Do not understand.

#19 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:58

Just tried it, not bad as you say ;)

I may add this to my USB drive and run it on machines that come into our workshop as well :)

Glad you liked it!

#20 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 02 May 2012 - 21:17

I've seen this program in the past, but I decided to give it another try. For some reason, I was under the impression it was going to install a bunch of software I didn't want. Instead, it only updated programs I already had installed, and it also found I still had Java 6 installed and uninstalled it for me.

I originally used a Ninite installer to update Flash / Java, but I think I'll use this from now on.

#21 +RedReddington

RedReddington

member_id=28229

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:09

Will try this on the fathers PC later. Looks good actually.

#22 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia Z3

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:14

Watch it go "Free" and "Pro" in a while, just like Speccy, CCleaner etc. They always do :)

#23 +RedReddington

RedReddington

member_id=28229

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:19

^Its fair enough if it does. Someone has put some hard work into it. They deserve to make money out of it.

#24 AwayfromHere

AwayfromHere

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia Z3

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:23

^ If they do it the same way Piriform did it, only remove support I'm fine with it but some cripple the program along side, now that's stupid.

#25 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:38

I think I might donate.

#26 Panda X

Panda X

Neowinian

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:01

That UI needs some heavy polishing.

#27 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:35

And what if you have an application that doesn't have an auto-updater function in it or the updating is broken in the application itself?

The lack of a "package management" is one of the many things that originally turned me away from Windows and people still resist it? Do not understand.

Any software that I use a lot self updates or warns me of updates, less important software gets updated if and when I need to use it or if I have some extra time to care, yes package management a la Linux would be great, but it's not that big a deal in the long run

#28 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:10

How does this compare to "FileHippo.com Update Checker"?

#29 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:15

How does this compare to "FileHippo.com Update Checker"?

From what I've just seen from watching a youtube video of filehippo, is it will check all your programs and then take you to the filehippo website with a list of all the applications it found updates for. It then looks like you have to manually download each application. WIth Patch My PC it scans your computer and also gives you a list of the out of date applications.

But the difference is, when you click run it automatically with no user interaction goes down the list and updates every application in that list. Meaning a tech could run this on a PC on his work bench. Patch my PC would then say the computer has say, 7 out of date application. The tech would click go and walk away, or work on other machines. When he returns the computer is up todate.

#30 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:23

Yeah, I'd trust this as much as I trust the auto driver update programs, not at all. It's windows update or manual/programs own updater. Only way to go.

What is untrustworthy about driver update program's is that drivers rarely need to be updated, unless there is a specific problem with the hardware, to suggest that all your PC problems can be solved by updating drivers sounds like bull**** and I would not trust software that make these false claims.

The promise for this software is more practical because not much software is automatically updated, and Java is a royal pain to get users to update because it is a manual process they don't understand.

Flash now has auto update in 11.2 so doing one last manual update of flash is worth it at least.

So with PatchMyPC, Ninite, Secunia and FileHippo do these automatically update software (like Java in particular) or just give a centralised interface to update everything at once.

Also Malwarebytes PRO could do with some improvement to their update process. Definition updates automatically update fine, but as soon as a Program update comes, definition update stop working completely until the user installs the Program update. Not good when many technicians install it to keep illterate users protected, and impossible for a user to update it if running in conjunction with a Limited user Account.

Also I have tried AllMyApps.com but it requires registration (too tedious to roll out to users) and I don't think it even updates that automatically.